Came Out to Co-Worker

Reader of Strange Books

Reader of Strange Books

Well, I "came out" to one of my co-workers yesterday. I didn't really plan to but somehow we got on the topic of the upcoming "Pride Day". She is a lesbian and "married" to another co-worker; they went through some kind of ceremony and wear rings so they consider themselves married whether it is legal or not, and really it doesn't make a difference. Everyone knows they are a couple and they are happy together so who cares?

Anyway we were talking about the Pride event and I mentioned that I was asexual and that there seemed to be some disagreement in the asexual community whether or not to ally ourselves with the gays and lesbians. She said that that was silly, that of course we'd be welcome to take part in Pride events, in fact, "we need to stick together", is what she said. So we talked about asexuality and homosexuality and how there is so much ignorance about the two. She said, all it takes is getting to know people and when you do you find that they aren't the monsters that they've been portrayed to be. I won't be able to participate in this year's Pride Day because I have another conflict, but maybe in the future I might drop in and see what is going on. I am a little bit leery of being "hit on", though. But I think from the way my friend talked, that my asexuality would be respected.

I guess I've come a long way from that nice Catholic girl I used to be . . .

I really enjoyed Pridefest because I saw everyone being open and themselves. It was sad that there needed to be a special festival just for that... Anyway, I was worried about getting "hit on" too but I went with my friend (we were volunteering) and everyone thought we were lesbians so no one made a move on us! We're both straight but it worked out well since we didn't plan for that to happen. I'm excited to go again this year!

Archived