For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

Some stores require carding until someone is 35 or 40+, and there I will sometimes get carded, but usually just get asked what my birthday is so they can put it in the register. All of this goes to show that people's perception of age is really odd sometimes. 🙄

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Spotastic said:

Some stores require carding until someone is 35 or 40+, and there I will sometimes get carded, but usually just get asked what my birthday is so they can put it in the register. All of this goes to show that people's perception of age is really odd sometimes. 🙄

if they did that in UK they'd never sell alcohol, since we don't carry id, most shops operate what they call a challenge 25 policy (if someone looks under 25 they have to prove they are 18 so can buy alcohol)

HomeBirdJen
On 3/2/2019 at 5:53 PM, Spotastic said:

That's pretty much how I am, too. I've always looked older. When I was in the military and had to shave every day I looked younger, but even then I looked like I was a bit older than my true age.

My wife is gender queer and has struggled with expressing herself all her life. I told her that she should just wear what's comfortable to her and fuck what other people think, so now she has an undercut with her mohawk (which used to be rainbow colored) and doesn't try to wear skirts or dresses anymore. Like RuPaul says, "What other people think of me is none of my business."

I look younger than I am. But on bad days my disability makes me look much older, shuffling along with a stick or wheeled walker! 

I struggled with my gender expression for years, until I found out about asexuality, and my need to present in a more genderfluid way made complete sense to me. I stopped wearing feminine underwear, shaving my armpits and legs, cut my hair even shorter than it already was. I hope your wife is enjoying her own gender expression. 🍰☺️

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Spotastic said:

It used to be 25 here (as in if the person selling the alcohol thinks you look 25, they will card you) but they changed that to 30. I'm assuming that's because the people in charge lost their concept of what an adult looks like when their kids started growing into that age. :P I can see someone thinking I look like I'm 30, but I'm definitely on the not below 18 side of 30. I have quite a bit of grey hair and dark bags under the eyes. But I also have acne, so maybe that makes people suspect me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snao Cone said:

It used to be 25 here (as in if the person selling the alcohol thinks you look 25, they will card you) but they changed that to 30. I'm assuming that's because the people in charge lost their concept of what an adult looks like when their kids started growing into that age...

My theory is that it's partly due to young adults growing up in healthier, non-smoking environments (resulting in them not aging as quickly), compared to people decades ago, where that was everywhere; society watching young adults in their 20s and 30s play teen characters on T.V. shows, resulting in them thinking that that's what teens look like; and older adults/senior citizens dying their hair (which causes others to think that they look younger and that that's what people in their 30s and 40s are supposed to look like, which, in turn probably causes them to think people who look a lot younger than those senior citizens must really also be a lot younger).

I think, where I live, stores have changed their policy and now just ask everyone to show their ID whenever they buy alcohol; my older relatives, who are senior citizens and definitely have heads full of white hair are asked to show their ID whenever they buy alcohol.

3 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

I think, where I live, stores have changed their policy and now just ask everyone to show their ID whenever they buy alcohol; my older relatives, who are senior citizens and definitely have heads full of white hair are asked to show their ID whenever they buy alcohol.

That may just be because some people have accused them of age discrimination by only asking those who appear younger for ID 

7 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

That may just be because some people have accused them of age discrimination by only asking those who appear younger for ID 

No discrimination FFS.... Snow flakes AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

They ask younger for id because they look younger and may not be legal age.
When i was in France they were checking everyones id, was stupid having to carry a passport about to buy a drink from the bar (they refused to serve us a coke without id) they refused service to 2 women in the 60's.....The world has no common sense anymore

Let people be offended it does not hurt, nothing happens... Don't make everyone else's life harder just so you don't offend a snowflake that wants to be offended

Rant finished

• Like 2
22 hours ago, HomeBirdJen said:

I look younger than I am. But on bad days my disability makes me look much older, shuffling along with a stick or wheeled walker! 

I struggled with my gender expression for years, until I found out about asexuality, and my need to present in a more genderfluid way made complete sense to me. I stopped wearing feminine underwear, shaving my armpits and legs, cut my hair even shorter than it already was. I hope your wife is enjoying her own gender expression. 🍰☺️

Thanks for the well wishes for my wife. I also have used a cane for the past 11 years now and use a walker on bad days. I have a wheelchair when my back was especially bad before I got the pain meds that I have now. My wife and I look like an odd pair going through a store. 😁

On 3/2/2019 at 6:53 PM, Spotastic said:

now she has an undercut with her mohawk (which used to be rainbow colored) and doesn't try to wear skirts or dresses anymore. Like RuPaul says, "What other people think of me is none of my business."

Sounds amazing. I always wished I could pull that off - undercut and/or mohawk. I'm quite happy with my hair, though, and to be honest I don't know if I could handle the increased attention.

RuPaul is absolutely right, by the way.

• Like 1
cutiepastels

been on this site since last summer, haven't made many friends on here yet but stumbled upon this thread, thought I'd say hi. My bday is coming up soon so will be 34 next week! 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, cutiepastels said:

been on this site since last summer, haven't made many friends on here yet but stumbled upon this thread, thought I'd say hi. My bday is coming up soon so will be 34 next week! 

Welcome and happy advance birthday!

• Like 2
cutiepastels
5 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

Welcome and happy advance birthday!

thank for the welcome and bday wishes! 🙂

1 hour ago, cutiepastels said:

Happy birthday for next week

On 3/1/2019 at 7:34 PM, burobu said:

Re: IT and age:

I've noticed that my parents' ability to use computers (including phones and tablets) has been decreasing with age. They ask me things that they knew ten years ago. They're not going senile or anything. They just seem to be more convinced that "they're too old to know that stuff", or something like that.

It's a peculiar phenomenon...

I've noticed this too. I work with the public and often find myself teaching computer skills to the elderly. One of the things I've found is that they seem to be progressively afraid they're going to break something if they try this one thing so "I better double check and ask before I do anything. "

• Like 1

I work with mostly middle-aged people, and do you know what bothers me the most about their computer habits?

When they double click on hyperlinks.

• Like 6
user23974865
1 hour ago, Snao Cone said:

I work with mostly middle-aged people, and do you know what bothers me the most about their computer habits?

I confess that this made me want to double click the "like" button on your post to express my double agreement.

It's like nails on a chalkboard.

• Like 4

Howdy ya'll I'm officially 30 soon to be 31. New to this whole asexual business. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

If I was helping someone with something technical and they did this, I would back away slowly or just take full control

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Noyzz said:

Howdy ya'll I'm officially 30 soon to be 31. New to this whole asexual business. 

Hello and welcome! :cake:

Elftober Country
15 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

I was going to make an inappropriate joke - second thoughts 🙄

• Like 4
3 hours ago, October Country said:

I was going to make an inappropriate joke - second thoughts 🙄

Only double-click if you're polyamorous :P:P

• Like 1
On 3/7/2019 at 11:46 PM, Noyzz said:

Hi, Welcome to AVEN.  I see you are from Utah, and so am I.  In fact, I get to SLC almost every weekend.   There is a Salt Lake City thread in the Meetup Mart forum, where the goings on of the asexual community of Northern Utah are posted.  I'm not too big into meetups, but I did attend one of their gatherings late last year. 

Anyway, I just wanted to extend a local welcome to you.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:27 PM, Snao Cone said:

I was helping somebody in their 30s today and they were just double clicking on everything. Like I tell them "ok now just right click on that" ... double click. No no no, that's not right clicking... they finally get it. A few minutes later: "ok now left click once on the name of that file" ... double click but then goes back and right clicks. Ugghhh.  

giphy.gif

• Like 2
user23974865
1 minute ago, trickstur said:

I was helping somebody in their 30s today and they were just double clicking on everything. Like I tell them "ok now just right click on that" ... double click. No no no, that's not right clicking... they finally get it. A few minutes later: "ok now left click once on the name of that file" ... double click but then goes back and right clicks. Ugghhh.  

I would be psychologically prepared for that if it were someone in their 60s and above (or maybe a pre-teen who's unfamiliar with the concept of mice and actual keyboards), but, someone in their 30s... That would be physically painful to witness.

• Like 1

Yeah, you know that twitch that Louise is doing in your icon. That's about how I felt. She may have been in her early 40s at the absolute most. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, trickstur said:

Hmm...that is surprising. Maybe they were in their late 30s, have a disability that makes learning a little difficult for them, or were in their 40s (since people always incorrectly assume I'm a teen, which they're way off base about, I'm sure others who are in their 40s could be mistaken for being in their 30s, too; I've heard some adults in their 50s say that others have mistaken them as being in their 20s and their teen/20s daughter's sister.)

I'm pretty sure they just weren't listening. She talked about being born in the 80s and that her generation wasn't great at computers. I look younger than I am and was just like... ok, speak for yourself. I think she just didn't have a lot of experience with them but she was definitely doing that double click thing mentioned earlier which is really the only reason I brought it up. 

• Like 1

We're in a transitional age range for that kind of thing. A lot of people in their 30s didn't use a computer all that much until university, and it was mostly for writing papers. Then they may have jumped straight to smartphones, which work slightly differently. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, trickstur said:

That's Me!  Actually, I single click most things now and if that doesn't do it, click, click, click.....until something happens (or breaks)

• Like 2