For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

44 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

In fact, that age group is an entirely different generation. The youngest millennials are in their mid-twenties. I don't object to being called a millennial, because I am one, and I find it funny how the term is misused so often.

Yeah, it's become a euphemism for negative things about young people.

Chamomile_Serenity
23 hours ago, Spotastic said:

In fact, that age group is an entirely different generation. The youngest millennials are in their mid-twenties. I don't object to being called a millennial, because I am one, and I find it funny how the term is misused so often.

I personally don't care if I'm calledĀ a millennial or not. Though I always get a kick outĀ of people ranting about "those millennial kids" to me and then when I tell them that by classification I'm one and so is "Zucky", the one who runs the platform they're ranting on....One minuteĀ  we're Gen-Y, the next Millennial, now X-ennials. I feel that the labels areĀ there so marketing companies can figure out how to direct their messages.Ā 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Chamomile_Serenity said:

I feel that the labels areĀ there so marketing companies can figure out how to direct their messagesļ»æ.Ā 

Bingo. And as clickbait, of course.

• Like 2

I've chosen to describe myself as Luddenial. I refuse to buy an Apple product when a much simpler and cheaper one will do. I just don't understand the infatuation with technology at all. And I watch VHS movies unironically.Ā 

Did you have to go to great lengths to find a functioning VCR and/or movies on VHS, or are you only using what you already had when that was current?

4 hours ago, MiseryTriumphant said:

I've chosen to describe myself as Luddenial. I refuse to buy an Apple product when a much simpler and cheaper one will do. I just don't understand the infatuation with technology at all. And I watch VHS movies unironically.Ā 

I refuse to buy apple products due to the conditions in the factories they are made in (or anyone's products made in the same factories)

I binned VHS 20 years ago though

• Like 1

I don't buy Apple because of its expense as well as workshop conditions. I buy Android, though, and am really glad that I can use my smartphone to complete most of my schoolwork right now. It's a lot easier to break out my laptop for PowerPoint presentations and essays, though.

Ā 

My sister has a VHS player that she picked up from a pawn shop nearby. She has all the tapes from our childhood still. The DVD player (and XBox One for the occasional bluray) sees a lot more use, though.

I refuse to buy Apple products because they force you to keep spending money on new phones, due to upgrades making your current model obsolete, and custom accessories that only work with their phones. Their products are overpriced to begin with. I'll just stick with my cheap Android.Ā 

• Like 1

I've had both apple and Android phones since I also got sick of the "selling my soul to Apple" business. Then I realized I was just trading selling my soul to Apple for selling my soul to to the google platform everything runs on. I think companies are there to suck you in and make you dependent on their products, no matter what huge corporation you're talking about.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SaturnOOO said:

I've had both apple and Android phones since I also got sick of the "selling my soul to Apple" business. Then I realized I was just trading selling my soul to Apple for selling my soul to to the google platform everything runs on. I think companies are there to suck you in and make you dependent on their products, no matter what huge corporation you're talking about.

One big difference between apple and google is, google do not manufacturer (most) android phones so you can use a company that use ethical manufacturers if you choose (not all companies out source manufacturing they own factories)

Ā 

Also manufactured in China does not automatically mean poor working conditionsĀ 

• Like 2
On 2/26/2019 at 8:10 AM, Snao Cone said:

Did you have to go to great lengths to find a functioning VCR and/or movies on VHS, or are you only using what you already had when that was current?

I use one my aunt had. Luckily she's a clean freak so its basically new. There is a local junk shop that has genre films on VHS and Goodwill keeps them in stock for 25Ā¢ each so there is no shortage near me. Plus some oddball films I like are only available on VHS right now.Ā 

On 2/13/2019 at 4:42 AM, Fydron said:

Almost 36 best part being this age nobody harass you anymore about having kids, wife or anything related to that.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:44 AM, AceOfHearts_85 said:

I'm almost 34, but I don't get harassed about those things because I legitimately look like a teenager in high school. šŸ˜„ Winning! šŸ™Œ

Ā 

Occasionally, locals will stop their vehicles to criticize me for doing things alone and not with anyone else because they mistakenly think I'm a child or teen in high school who's naĆÆve about doing things alone, that I'm unaware of the possibility a stranger could harm me (but what they don't know is I've already experienced abuse--but not by strangers--so I'm already aware of the warning signs of how dangerous people act, say, etc., and have read studies how people are more likely to abused by someone they know than a stranger ). Even when I correct them, tell them I'm a lot older than I look and that I've been doing things alone for decades--without being harmed by any strangers--they still feel justified in telling me that I'm still wrong in doing things alone because "you still could be sexually assaulted by a stranger, one day."

Ā 

If I were around more people, I'm sure I'd still be asked about having kids, whether I'm married or want to be, etc.

• Like 2

I've been called a "girl" twice this week, both times by men around my age. I'm neither 16 years old, nor do I call male adults "boy".

Seriously, every time this happens, I feel like punching them in the face. Sometimes I regret having good manners.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kiaroskuro said:

I've been called a "girl" twice this week, both times by men around my age. I'm neither 16 years old, nor do I call male adults "boy".

Seriously, every time this happens, I feel like punching them in the face. Sometimes I regret having good manners.

I can top that. Ā I've been called "little girl." šŸ˜·šŸ˜·šŸ˜· Ā LOL

Ā 

I may be only 5' 2" but that's legit rude as fk to call me short. Ā Like....I know....you don't have to point it out. Ā I also look absolutely nothing like a typical girl. Ā These people must be smoking crack. Ā What I should do is act confused and turn around an search for someone else when they say that to me. Ā "What? Ā Who you talkin to?" šŸ˜‚

2 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Occasionally, locals will stop their vehicles to criticize me for doing things alone and not with anyone else because they mistakenly think I'm a child or teen in high school who's naĆÆve about doing things alone, that I'm unaware of the possibility a stranger could harm me (but what they don't know is I've already experienced abuse--but not by strangers--so I'm already aware of the warning signs of how dangerous people act, say, etc., and have read studies how people are more likely to abused by someone they know than a stranger ). Even when I correct them, tell them I'm a lot older than I look and that I've been doing things alone for decades--without being harmed by any strangers--they still feel justified in telling me that I'm still wrong in doing things alone because "you still could be sexually assaulted by a stranger, one day."

Ā 

If I were around more people, I'm sure I'd still be asked about having kids, whether I'm married or want to be, etc.

Wow. Ā People really need to learn how to mind their own damn business. Ā I've never been criticized like that before thankfully, but I'm sure some folks are thinking things. Ā Surprised I haven't been questioned by the police.Ā 

Ā 

Once I was riding the city bus to my college and these two middle school boys were also on the bus an they kept looking at me. Ā When they got off at their stop they kept looking back to see if I was leaving as well. Ā When I stayed in my seat they had confused looks on their faces like "Aren't you coming?" Ā I was 20 years old at the time. Ā LOL

My sister has a similar problem. She's in college now, and at 39 years old, people think she just got out of high school. They look at her like she's crazy when she mentions she has a 20 year old daughter. When she was 18 and I was 15, she would send me to the store to buy her cigarettes because she didn't want to deal with getting carded and I never did.Ā šŸ˜

• Like 1

I have a tendencyĀ to look young, but not child young. Despite being 34, most people think I'm in my mid twenties. I'm okay with it. I'm just glad I don't get carded anymore. I guess I've surpassed the threshold of looking minimally legal.Ā 

• Like 1

Everyone used to think that my mum and my sister were sisters. To this day I don't know whether I was the older or younger brother, or boyfriend or what?Ā 

• Like 1
user23974865

Re: IT and age:

Ā 

I've noticed that my parents' ability to use computers (including phones and tablets) has been decreasing with age. They ask me things that they knewĀ ten years ago. They're not going senile or anything. They just seem to be more convinced that "they're too old to know that stuff", or something like that.

Ā 

It's a peculiar phenomenon...

4 hours ago, LVG said:

I have a tendencyĀ to look young, but not child young. Despite being 34, most people think I'm in my mid twenties. I'm okay with it. I'm just glad I don't get carded anymore. I guess I've surpassed the threshold of looking minimally legal.Ā 

Since I'm a gender bender, if people perceive me as male they automatically think teenage boy. Ā If they think I'm female they say I'm 20-25. Ā I was assigned female at birth and I'm actually turning 34 in a few days. Ā I still get carded for rated R movies. Ā smh lol

• Like 2
user23974865
On 2/18/2019 at 3:25 PM, kiaroskuro said:

Reminds me of this old joke (or true story?): Someone shows his child a floppy disk. The kid, utterly bewildered, thinks it's a 3D-printed save icon ...

:lol:

Ā 

I've been wondering for quite a while what people these days think of the traditional "save" icon, and how many people are just downright confused by it. Floppy disks were still common but already outdated even back when I was a teenager, so it's kind of anachronistic that the icon is still used. Makes me wonder about the verb itself. "Save"... Probably an anachronism of its own.

Ā 

To a lesser extent, I also wonder the same about "phone receiver" icons.

8 hours ago, AceOfHearts_85 said:

Since I'm a gender bender, if people perceive me as male they automatically think teenage boy. Ā If they think I'm female they say I'm 20-25. Ā I was assigned female at birth and I'm actually turning 34 in a few days. Ā I still get carded for rated R movies. Ā smh lol

I wish i still looked like i was in my 20s but i think even when i was i looked like i was in my 30s

• Like 1
On 2/28/2019 at 11:55 PM, AceOfHearts_85 said:

I can top that. Ā I've been called "little girl." šŸ˜·šŸ˜·šŸ˜· Ā LOL

Ā 

I may be only 5' 2" but that's legit rude as fk to call me short. Ā 

Seriously, what's wrong with those people?Ā 

Ā 

Being gender-nonconforming, -indifferent or -queer isn't becoming easier as you get older and want to be taken seriously.

All my attempts at looking like a person my age seem to fail. I wear my hoodies less often because they make me look like a very young lad; it's a pity because I used to love them. But wearing dresses or more make-up is out of the question. I'm still working on developing a personal clothing style that is laid-back and that I feel comfortable with genderwise, yet doesn't make me look like a kid.Ā 

Ā 

16 hours ago, LVG said:

I have a tendencyĀ to look young, but not child young. Despite being 34, most people think I'm in my mid twenties. (...) I'm just glad I don't get carded anymore. I guess I've surpassed the threshold of looking minimally legal.Ā 

Same here. Occasionally, people assume that I still get student discounts. Thext time that happens, I just ought to nod and pray that they won't ask for my student ID. šŸ˜

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, kiaroskuro said:

Seriouslyļ»æ, what's wrong with those people?Ā 

Ā ļ»æ

Being gender-nonconforming, -indifferent or -queer isn't becoming easier as you get older and want to be taken seriously.

All my attempts at looking like ļ»æa person my age seem to fail. I wear my hoodies less often because they make me look like a very young lad; it's a pity because I used to love them. But wearing dreļ»æsses or more make-up is out of the question. I'm still working on developing a personal clothing style that is laid-back and that I feel comfortable withļ»æ genderwise, yet doesn't make me look like a kid.Ā ļ»æļ»æ

I have no clue what makes people speak before thinking. Ā It's like they have no filter and the words just fly out of their mouths uncontrollably. Ā I call it "verbal diarrhea."

Ā 

And you're correct, it really is getting more difficult to be a "queer" adult. Ā I personally don't try to change my clothing style simply because I know I'd just be unbearably uncomfortable. Ā I've accepted the fact that I have a severe case of baby face. Ā When I was 18/19 I looked 11, and could get in amusement parks with a kids ticket. Ā I'm not gonna complain about discounts lol!

• Like 1

Verbal diarrheaĀ :lol:Ā So accurate

Ā 

51 minutes ago, AceOfHearts_85 said:

I personally don't try to change my clothing style simply because I know I'd just be unbearably uncomfortable.Ā Ā 

Yeah, I don't want to change myself for others ("society"), either.

My clothing style is constantly evolving. I love to have the freedom to choose the best from both worlds/genders. Pick'n'mix-style.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, AndrewT said:

I wish i still looked like i was in my 20s but i think even when i was i looked like i was in my 30s

That's pretty much how I am, too. I've always looked older. When I was in the military and had to shave every day I looked younger, but even then I looked like I was a bit older than my true age.

Ā 

My wife is gender queer and has struggled with expressing herself all her life. I told her that she should just wear what's comfortable to her and fuck what other people think, so now she has an undercut with her mohawk (which used to be rainbow colored) and doesn't try to wear skirts or dresses anymore. Like RuPaul says, "What other people think of me is none of my business."

• Like 1
user23974865

It's kinda funny that I'm balding, but people usually still assume I'm a college student.Ā :lol:

Ā 

I wonder what is it that will finally change that. Not that I'm looking forward to it or complaining though... Just curious about it.

• Like 1

I still get carded at the liquor store sometimes and I'm nearly 2x the legal drinking age here. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆĀ 

• Like 1