For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

Those of you who are avoiding 40, speaking as one who's crossed that threshold, it has made no difference whatsoever 😋 😋 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Those of you who are avoiding 40, speaking as one who's crossed that threshold, it has made no difference whatsoever 😋 😋 

You mean 28 in hex

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

It may have made Hawaiian shirts more acceptable for you to wear. :P

• Like 2

So I just turned 33 Thursday. I honestly thought I was already 33 last year, I legitimately forgot how old I was. I was having a conversation with my mom one night and my age came up, we both had to do the math because for a moment I wasn't sure. This stuff happens when your 80, not when your barely into your thirties :lol: Luckily I have a friend who's a couple of years older then me, she had a moment like that also, had to do the math to remember how old she was. Please tell me this isn't just me that its happened to. HA

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, breezycalm said:

So I just turned 33 Thursday. I honestly thought I was already 33 last year, I legitimately forgot how old I was. I was having a conversation with my mom one night and my age came up, we both had to do the math because for a moment I wasn't sure. This stuff happens when your 80, not when your barely into your thirties :lol: Luckily I have a friend who's a couple of years older then me, she had a moment like that also, had to do the math to remember how old she was. Please tell me this isn't just me that its happened to. HA

I sometimes think I'm a year older than I actually am, but that's because that age is a more appealing number for a variety of reasons that only exist inside my head. :P

sparklingstars
8 hours ago, breezycalm said:

I think virtually every 30-something person out there has had at least one moment when they forgot exactly how old they are.  It's definitely not just you :)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, sparklingstars said:

I think virtually every 30-something person out there has had at least one moment when they forgot exactly how old they are.  It's definitely not just you :)

I make sure I forget how old I am. 😂

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sparklingstars said:

I seem to be in the minority here. For the first week or two after my birthday, I'll sometimes keep thinking I'm still the previous age, but it takes no thought from me to remember my age.

I frequently have to do the math to remember how old I am.

as far as 'lying to yourself' about your age, you can do what my aunt does. I believe it was 50 for her, but you can choose your own year - Start counting backwards. 

• Like 2

What a world we live in when 30s is put into the "older" category. Those of us who are healthy can outdo 20 year olds. 

• Like 2

@Ferrier It's not so much about the world, but the age ranges of those who frequent AVEN. The vast majority are teens and lower 20's adults.

19 hours ago, Spotastic said:

@Ferrier It's not so much about the world, but the age ranges of those who frequent AVEN. The vast majority are teens and lower 20's adults.

No, it's definitely the world lol. I remember being a 20- something at gaia online, and the teens there treated me like a freak for being there. A bunch of us ended up starting our own private group for older members.

• Like 1

Granted, I don't frequent Many of the threads on AVEN, but I haven't noticed that "a vast majority" of the members are teens and early 20s.

@korik That's what I've seen on the statistics for age ranges of those who frequent AVEN. They do a census every year and younger ages are always the majority.

I feel this thread got a bit gloomy, everyone feels old or talking about mortgages... Guess I'm a terrible 37 years old since I don't like mortgages, I like water instead. Like here, spending some time on a 'luxury' cruise today, came with fitness training and complementary snack ;)

Spoiler

IMG_20180919_113645.jpg

IMG_20180919_120526.jpg

Sadly, failed to make proper photo of a seal I met in the middle of the harbor, but maybe next time... 😸

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Marcin said:

I feel this thread got a bit gloomy, everyone feels old or talking about mortgages... Guess I'm a terrible 37 years old since I don't like mortgages, I like water instead. Like here, spending some time on a 'luxury' cruise today, came with fitness training and complementary snack ;)

Sadly, failed to make proper photo of a seal I met in the middle of the harbor, but maybe next time... 😸

Jealous! What's the ace term for 'you're only as old as the woman you feel' :)

I was feeling young until about 7 weeks ago when I utterly fubared up my back. Still don't know how I did it, but someone showed me a video of me pushing hay-bales around a field.

• Like 1

@Marcin, if it's any consolation, I was 36 when I got a mortgage, and a decade later I still don't like it 😋 😋 

• Like 1

As much as I'd like to have my own place, the idea of taking on a mortgage is a bit intimidating.   

scarletlatitude

Wait 30 something is considered "older asexuals". 😲 Dang...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, scarletlatitude said:

Wait 30 something is considered "older asexuals". 😲 Dang...

Nah, we just don't want our hangout spot dominated by those damn teenagers sticking their noses in where it isn't their business. :P

• Like 2

Imma just gonna ooch into this thread pretending I am not totally new here. 🙄

Hello hello I am 34 and this thread is waaaaaaaaayyyyyy less intimidating than the welcome board!

Re: mortgages, I have had one; now I don’t; thought I never wanted one again; but if you calculate the monthly cost of a mortgage in some areas vs the cost of renting a comparable space, the mortgage can start looking pretty sweet. 

• Like 3

Hi allium.cepa, welcome to AVEN! You intuitively chose one of our most awesome threads to introduce yourself.   

But to be honest, I drop by only once in a while. Maybe it's because I want to ignore the fact that I'm old by AVEN standards 🙄

• Like 1
ChocoVanillafrosting
On 9/19/2018 at 9:24 AM, œddy said:

Jealous! What's the ace term for 'you're only as old as the woman you feel' :)

I was feeling young until about 7 weeks ago when I utterly fubared up my back. Still don't know how I did it, but someone showed me a video of me pushing hay-bales around a field.

only as old as how many cats you have...

• Like 2

I would complain about this generation now knowing enough Simpsons, but I'm surprised with how many people I've met that are roughly my age who never really watched it. Both of my siblings have found partners who are not very familiar with it, which means they are out of the loop in many jokes we make at family gatherings.

20 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

I would complain about this generation now knowing enough Simpsons, but I'm surprised with how many people I've met that are roughly my age who never really watched it. Both of my siblings have found partners who are not very familiar with it, which means they are out of the loop in many jokes we make at family gatherings.

I don't think the Simpsons are as relevant as they were once were. It was a MASSIVE show during the 90's and into the 2000's. I use to watch it growing up, but haven't watched it in  probably 15 years because I stop thinking it was funny. I never hear about it. Same with South Park, its like the shock value went away with the shows decades ago. 

15 minutes ago, breezycalm said:

I don't think the Simpsons are as relevant as they were once were. It was a MASSIVE show during the 90's and into the 2000's. I use to watch it growing up, but haven't watched it in  probably 15 years because I stop thinking it was funny. I never hear about it. Same with South Park, its like the shock value went away with the shows decades ago. 

Yeah, it should've ended about 15 years ago if it wanted to retain its brilliance. 

bluedragonwings

I liked Simpsons. But Animaniacs or ST:TNG/Babylon 5 take precedence for the time period for me. 

• Like 1