For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

Most american music is crap too! I mean when you have a country star ( I use that term loosely) rapping on an album, it says great things about race relations but bad things about the state of music. There is no difference between any genres anymore, not at least in pop music. At one time Led Zeppelin was considered pop. There are few bands today who aim for that level of musicianship. I don't know I guess I'm just an old fart, like my parents. 

2 hours ago, ABryonJ.maybe said:

I don't know why, but K-pop makes me feel old. I don't understand it and it makes me want to yell "Get off my lawn" at those young whippersnappers who post about. I don't know. I guess this is that point where you throw up your hands and walk off.

I feel the same way about iphones and "app"-everything. I don't understand it, have stopped caring about trying to,  and I've just decided a lot of people are insane and have decided to ignore it. xD Some of the tech and consequential social changes/norms make me feel very, very old.

I like some of the k-pop music, but the absolute obsession I've seen with it or with specific bands confuses the hell out of me. I've never understood the near-worship of many things like that though.

• Like 1

I like k-pop and j-pop, but I only listen to them in small doses. Most of the music I listen to is heavy metal from European countries. 

I am right in with using apps, though. I've always been a bit of a tech geek, so keeping up with things like that wasn't anything I had to get used to. It just worked naturally for me. I don't feel a need to get a new phone every year and hate most Apple products, though.

K-pop isn't my thing either. And i like to listen to loads of different things. Its not really a big thing for youngsters here in the uk i don't think anyway.

I don't really think I'm too far out of the tech thing tho. Maybe a bit slow with some things like i still have a ps3,  in my defence its more a dvd player for me. My phone i update every 2 years. I just don't rely on it so much. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, ABryonJ.maybe said:

Most american music is crap too! I mean when you have a country star ( I use that term loosely) rapping on an album, it says great things about race relations but bad things about the state of music. There is no difference between any genres anymore, not at least in pop music. At one time Led Zeppelin was considered pop. There are few bands today who aim for that level of musicianship. I don't know I guess I'm just an old fart, like my parents. 

Less old fart than me. I have no idea about this country rapping thing. 

Don't forget the first mainstream hit featuring rap, the rap was performed by a white female (Rapture by Blondie) although the inspiration came from Grandmaster Flash 

• Like 2

A combination of my two least favorite music genres. I'm a rocker at heart. I just wish it was more popular. The stuff that's passed off as "rock" nowadays is terrible. 

• Like 3

I heard Scott Ian of anthrax give a very good reason for why rock isn't as popular: only 14 year olds and baby boomers actually buy music. The middle, the coveted 19-39 demographic, gets music either illegally, one track at a time, or on a streaming service like Spotify. It means that taste is basically determined by 14 year olds. Record labels can't afford to let a group develop over time like they used to in the 70s. 

Well, that would certain explain why so-called rock/alternative nowadays sounds more like pop music. 

• Like 2

The metrics for music trends need to change, as does the way music seeks survival.

• Like 1

It's just like tv series. Ratings still, for the most part, don't take online viewing into account. I almost never watch shows at the time of airing. I dvr it or watch it on Hulu/Netflix. Shows get cancelled when they have a huge online viewership but people just aren't watching it at the time of airing. The digital age has been here for years and the powers that be need to get with the program.

• Like 3

One of the reasons I stopped watching much TV is that it seemed every time I liked a show, it got cancelled. Guess my tastes aren't those of the masses. 

• Like 6
bluedragonwings

Yeah. My family has that curse too. At this point I wait for a season or two before starting. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, LVG said:

One of the reasons I stopped watching much TV is that it seemed every time I liked a show, it got cancelled. Guess my tastes aren't those of the masses. 

wow you got me curious, can you give me some examples of TV series that you liked and they were cancelled?

I could name quite a few... Constantine, Firefly, Dollhouse, Jericho, Manhattan, Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone... And that's just off the top of my head.

• Like 1

wow dollhouse!! I enjoyed this one. I was into Constantine, Jericho and Pushing Daises too, although I haven't finished the latter.

4 hours ago, Sam_Tiago said:

wow you got me curious, can you give me some examples of TV series that you liked and they were cancelled?

caprica

3 minutes ago, AndrewT said:

caprica

aw I have heard about this before, but never watched.  Is it related to Battlestar Galactica, right? gotta check it later

7 minutes ago, Sam_Tiago said:

aw I have heard about this before, but never watched.  Is it related to Battlestar Galactica, right? gotta check it later

yeah, it was a prequel to Battlestar Galacticas reboot, only one season of caprica it was good though (think they'd actually filmed some of season 2 when it was pulled)

9 minutes ago, ABryonJ.maybe said:

This was a show? It was also the name of the singer of a band I like. (The Deli Creeps, Buckethead's first hard rock band).

It's got a wiki page. One series in 1998, based on an Elmore Leonard novel

Fisheisley

I’m about to be 37 and I feel like I don’t belong here, lol. I adore Kpop (I went to Vegas specifically to see my favorite band’s world tour), I love apps and my iPhone, I feel more at home with the younger crowd and I enjoy a lot of new music coming out including rap. I wear Deadpool and hello kitty tank tops...Maybe that’s a product of trauma keeping me in my early 20’s, but is there anyone else out there that feels out of place amongst their own generation?

• Like 4
Sam_Tiago

I do. Most of my friends are younger than me. I feel better near them, and most of my friends Who are around my age are married or getting married. I am 34 but I feel a lot younger than that.