For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

The maintenance costs are staggering. Everything seems to be constantly wearing out and needing replaced, plus the time it takes. Ownership is just a 30 year soul sucking money trap.

On the other hand, you're at the mercy of your landlord when shit breaks down. My brother has held his shower together using garbage bags for years, and his bedroom ceiling has been decaying with mold for nearly as long. His landlord is finally getting around to it now. 

If you're in a jurisdiction with solid tenants' rights, then renting can be a pretty good long term arrangement. It also depends on your overall goals in life. My arrangement suits my needs and wishes in life, for the most part.

• Like 2

I think I got lucky with my last landlord, things were usually fixed within a few days. My first apartment was in student housing and we had a 3 day weekend with no electricity, just the one unit. The electric company had no record of us. It was a DWP so at least the toilets still flushed?

Now I rent a room from a home owner and we're sharing a room at a hotel because she decided now was the time to get new floors and have other things done.

My dad did the air conditioner maintenance last spring, and it was desperately needed. She had let vines grow into it so the coil was covered in decayed plant matter. So now I cut and pull the vines out every so often.

What exactly defines a millennial? Doesn’t it start with people born in the 90s?

sorry, jumping in in the middle of the conversation. Hi! 

I do own my condo, which is a great help to my current situation. It has more than doubled in value in the past 13 years. I managed to pay it off sooner than I expected to, because I put more than 50% down and put 100% of my income into payments minus what I needed for bare necessities. I’m glad I did because I have been off work for 6 years on disability and would be in even deeper trouble and debt than I am now. I got a little bit of disability insurance, used my every penny of my savings, and survived until now using a line of credit that I have against my condo. I have a mountain of debt and have run out of credit but I at least bought myself some time so I won’t end up on the street tomorrow. Ironically if I sell my place and move north I would be able to pay off all debt right now and start fresh. That’s not a possibility right this second, but I dream of the day it might finally happen.

my sister chooses to rent because she likes to travel and would rather spend her money on experiences than “stability”. She is adventurous, while I am a homebody.

• Like 1
On 4/9/2018 at 2:46 PM, Puck said:

Nope, not that young! The birth year range is vague (as it always is with generations) so it's roughly "early 1980's to late 90's." The name comes from the fact that they are the last generation to have a memory of both millennium (1900's and 2000's).

Most say the last birth year is about 1997, so the youngest millennials are 21 or 22, so around their final years of college (uni). So everyone is an adult, everyone can vote and effect the world around them. The folks under them is "Generation Z" (aka, is yet to be named. Millennials were called "Generation Y" or "the baby boomer boomers," as we are the children of the baby boomers, until the millennial name was coined. Generation Y came because the generation before us is called Generation X)...

The conversation started a couple pages back and Puck here cleared up the misconception about how young Millenials are. I was born in '82 and am technically a Millenial.

• Like 1

Oh, this is helpful, thanks. I was also born in ‘82 and always thought I was part of Generation Y — I had no idea that was the same as being a Millennial. Not sure how I feel about that, lol.

• Like 2

I'm making my own generation: Generation Bacon. Just because. Its for all ladies and dudes who just want to eat bacon, vegetarian/vegan bacon, turkey bacon, Canadian ham, yogurt, vegetables, fruit,  or anything really. Dad bods if you want, beards if possible. Ladies can do with their hair as the please. Every three days we come here and say "Yep" and "Uhh hum" and talk about the weather. Nothing major. 

48 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

So I've decided I need to be more adult like, I need to adult more...thoughts?

It's overrated.

• Like 2

I dunno, I wanna try and am looking for ideas. The sad truth is I don't know how to adult

Adulthood is a myth, really. (Or so says the title of a comic book I have.) The difference between being a teenager and being a legal adult is voting, drinking, and greater consequences for illegal behaviour. The difference between being a legal adult but still "immature" or "youthful" is boring shit like financial planning, enforcing bedtimes on weekends, and monitoring genetic health risks more closely. Some people may say "adulting" is like marriage and children, but those aren't in my plans, and yet I still have to do adult-like things.

One example of how I've matured into adult-like things is that I'm going to get a modest inheritance at some point in the coming months, and I plan on splitting it between my mortgage and retirement savings. That's it. Adulthood for me means I've grown bored of forms of immediate gratification. I've always been more cautious on such things than caricatures of the different age brackets, but the level of that has definitely changed.

I've dropped some friends in the process of maturing, and my attitude towards work has become more future-oriented. Maturing also helped me discover my asexuality, as I didn't feel like I had to prove my positive attitude towards sexuality on a societal level through commonalities with my sexual friends. As their lives with partners got more settled, I realized that life is boring for everyone, but sexual people will still have an underlying need for that kind of intimacy that I simply don't have.

So, as far as "adulting" goes...save for retirement. :P

• Like 3

@Snao Cone That's pretty much exactly how I see it. It's mostly about priority shift. I still play video games (more than I should :lol:) and lounge around the house. But I have bills to pay, a marriage to maintain, and am working on going back to school so that I can do some kind of work from home.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Lynne82 said:

Oh, this is helpful, thanks. I was also born in ‘82 and always thought I was part of Generation Y — I had no idea that was the same as being a Millennial. Not sure how I feel about that, lol.

I'd rather be Gen Y. It feels more comfortable and familiar. I also don't like being put in the same group as young 'uns who don't remember life without the internet. 

Xennials/Oregon Trail Generation has been mentioned before.

Labels are something most people have strong feelings about. Which group I may fit into doesn't matter that much to me beyond the specifics of the label and how it relates to me. The general description of Millenial partially fits me, as does Gen X. Beyond that, I don't care.

To me generational labels have nothing to do with identity. It's to explain social trends, mostly, and it oversimplifies out of necessity.

• Like 3

You think of baby boomers being one thing, but my parents were too young to be hippies or eligible for the draft in my dad's case. They're barely old enough to remember JFK. That's probably the case with a lot of people's parents. 

We're too old to have grown up dependent on cellphones or the internet.

I just had a conversation with my aunt that went like this:

"You're a millenial?"

"Yeah."

"I thought you were Gen X. You have grunge CDs you bought in the '90s."

"I know. I also still remember how 5" floppies work and when only doctors and drug dealers had cellphones."

I've heard Gen Z referred to as the iGeneration. I can't decide if that's worse than Milennial or not.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, borkfork said:

I've heard Gen Z referred to as the iGeneration. I can't decide if that's worse than Milennial or not.

I take your "iGeneration" and raise you "Digital Nativists" <_<

• Like 1

better copyright iGeneration before apple bring out a product by that name ;)

• Like 3

Pretty sure the cut-off for GenX and millennial is 1983.

...Not that it makes a difference. a generation spans 20 plus years. and anyone at the beginning or end of a generation is going to have, basically, nothing in common with the people at the other side of that same generation.

8 hours ago, borkfork said:

7 hours ago, iff said:

better copyright iGeneration before apple bring out a product by that name ;)

IGen - A brilliant white baseball cap with solar cells on the peak, capable of wirelessly charging apple products. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ABryonJ.maybe said:

If you factor in inflation that far into the future, that product is actually 12¢.

That made me think of this, a 1970s Frink predicting what computers would be like in 2000:

632614.jpg?b64lines=IGNvbXB1dGVycyB3aWxs

• Like 4

I don't know why, but K-pop makes me feel old. I don't understand it and it makes me want to yell "Get off my lawn" at those young whippersnappers who post about. I don't know. I guess this is that point where you throw up your hands and walk off.