For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

Huh... I thought I was part of Generation X - imagine my disappointment reading that I might* be a filthy Millennial :blink: 

(*depending on which studies one looks into and the dates they mention). 

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Raire said:

Huh... I thought I was part of Generation X - imagine my disappointment reading that I might* be a filthy Millennial :blink: 

(*depending on which studies one looks into and the dates they mention). 

I took the Pew Research survey and scored low for both. :P

Snapseed.jpg

I was born in the mid-'80s and believe that to be fairly accurate.

I remember playing Oregon Trail on a 5" floppy, making photo copies from encyclopedias at the library for research, the only people I knew with cell phones or pagers were physicians (until high school). I have nothing in common with a 23 year-old.

• Like 2

The monkey poop coffee tasted like Starbucks to me. In other words, terrible. (Rich baby boomer relatives)

Also, what is the point of avocado toast? Sounds like wasting a perfectly good potential sandwich.

• Like 2

I'm way too cheap to even consider developing tastes like that. :P

I think the public consciousness of millenials is based on the conspicuously wealthy millenials who can afford that kind of stuff. Most are probably debt riddled miserable folks just like the rest of us.😂😂😂 

I think Mark Zuckerberg is the exception to the being crushed by student debt and employers who don't want to pay a living wage rule. 

10 minutes ago, ABryonJ.maybe said:

I think the public consciousness of millenials is based on the conspicuously wealthy millenials who can afford that kind of stuff. Most are probably debt riddled miserable folks just like the rest of us.😂😂😂 

It seems like a very selective stereotype that's an easy target for older people to criticize. :P Even for the ones that do have such tastes, the reason they may sooner spend what money they do have on pricier food instead of buying a house is that a $25 brunch only requires $25 right now, while a house requires $25,000 right now and a sense of financial stability that will make it possible to pay the remaining $250,000 (plus interest). And those are *moderate* prices. 

• Like 1

:lol: Houses where I can find work are closer to $800,000+ for a fixer upper. 

• Like 2

I was going by the least expensive housing costs these days. :P I can only imagine how much worse it gets in expensive areas. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, borkfork said:

:lol: Houses where I can find work are closer to $800,000+ for a fixer upper. 

Come to the North East of England, where I am you can buy a 3 bedroom house for £40,000 ($56,800)

LA, San Francisco, Chicago, and New York is the general job market rule for me. There's tinier markets in places like San Diego and Austin. If the land is worthless, the job market is probably not all that great in advertising or art.

2 hours ago, borkfork said:

I remember playing Oregon Trail on a 5" floppy, making photo copies from encyclopedias at the library for research, the only people I knew with cell phones or pagers were physicians (until high school). I have nothing in common with a 23 year-old.

All of this! 

And I thought Millennials were all broke because of college loan debt?

• Like 2

There was a report out yesterday in Britain which estimates that 40% of Millenials will never own the their own home. This includes areas where housing is relatively cheap, the proportion in high cost areas who will never own a property will be much higher 

2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

There was a report out yesterday in Britain which estimates that 40% of Millenials will never own the their own home. This includes areas where housing is relatively cheap, the proportion in high cost areas who will never own a property will be much higher 

I quite believe that too. I would have been in the same position. i live in Edinburgh and buying a house is normally too expensive for people similar to myself. Thankfully i got help from someone with the deposit and got myself a mortgage. Of my mothers side of the family i am the only home owner. Everyone else cant do it. we are all millennials.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Quite possibly, for me buying a house at 18 was one of the worst things I've ever done.

It's acted as a ball and chain keeping me from being economically mobile.

With the London centric policies (and other areas with housing shortage) soo many new houses have been built near me, which has sent house prices crashing (a 3 bed  terrace house has dropped £50k in value in 10 years). But no new jobs have been created so people have not moved to the area. Leading to a massive oversupply of houses

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Andrew001 said:

Quite possibly, for me buying a house at 18 was one of the worst things I've ever done.

It's acted as a ball and chain keeping me from being economically mobile.

With the London centric policies (and other areas with housing shortage) soo many new houses have been built near me, which has sent house prices crashing (a 3 bed  terrace house has dropped £50k in value in 10 years). But no new jobs have been created so people have not moved to the area. Leading to a massive oversupply of houses

wow! 18! that is impressive. Not so good that it wasn't a great move for you but in future maybe it will be?

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I'm surprised the proportion isn't higher to be honest - relative to most places, my flat was really cheap, and I still needed a hell of a lot of help to get the deposit together, so I can only imagine how difficult it is for people in more expensive areas :mellow:

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Gazza83 said:

wow! 18! that is impressive. Not so good that it wasn't a great move for you but in future maybe it will be?

After 20 years of paying a mortgage, there is a good chance I still owe more money than it is now worth

Just now, Andrew001 said:

After 20 years of paying a mortgage, there is a good chance I still owe more money than it is now worth

Ouch that aint good. I'm hoping i don't have to worry about that kind of thing being in the Capital. 

@Andrew001, that's a joke :angry::angry::o:o. Despite buying just before the crash, mine has gone up in value by 10% in 10 years, the only problem is that being shared equity, the chances of upscaling are getting slimmer 

sparklingstars

I've never been a homeowner, since I wouldn't be able to afford it without some serious help from family.  Also, I'm really torn on whether or not I even want to own a house eventually.  I know I would like the stability, and being able to paint/hang pictures/adopt pets without asking permission - but hearing my friends talk about home improvements and contractors and mortgage payments definitely makes me appreciate renting.  And my landlords haven't raised my rent in like 7 years, so I have a pretty sweet deal as it is.

22 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@Andrew001, that's a joke :angry::angry::o:o. Despite buying just before the crash, mine has gone up in value by 10% in 10 years, the only problem is that being shared equity, the chances of upscaling are getting slimmer 

I really wish it was a joke

There's no way I'm ever going to own a place. I'm cool with that.

• Like 5

I haven't even been here three years. I don't want to think of how the value of my condo has changed, not yet. I still want to enjoy it.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Homer said:

There's no way I'm ever going to own a place. I'm cool with that.

Second. I have a steady, well-paid job, but I live in an expensive housing market no matter which way you look at it and there are quite simply other things I'd rather spend my money on.

Edited by SaturnOOO
Spelling
  • Like 2

It's just that I can't be sure how long I'll stay here. It's also much more convenient to rent when it comes to maintenance. Now I can just call someone and say "fix that", whereas I'd have to deal with everything myself if I owned this place.

• Like 1