For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

Girl from the North

@Snao Cone For now he is silent and making me smile, so.. a success! 

@Midland Tyke I come from a small town outside Oslo, where I now live. So, it’s really more like the south of the north.. Still it’s further north than most people. :)

@Puck I totally agree on the forming attachments thing! It’s also about keeping in touch with the inner child and using my imagination for something good. What’s wrong with that? :) 

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Girl from the North said:

@Puck I totally agree on the forming attachments thing! It’s also about keeping in touch with the inner child and using my imagination for something good. What’s wrong with that? :) 

I'm with ya there! It's good to return to that mentality we had when we were kids, to be reminded of what just raw want of attachment for emotional love meant.... Honestly, I often feel like that "childish" want of attachment and connection is still the main thing I want in life :P If my little bear can make me feel safer and more loved, I can't see the harm.

• Like 3

I just realised people my age are millenials. I always thought they or I guess we were younger.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

I just realised people my age are millenials. I always thought they or I guess we were younger.

Nope, not that young! The birth year range is vague (as it always is with generations) so it's roughly "early 1980's to late 90's." The name comes from the fact that they are the last generation to have a memory of both millennium (1900's and 2000's).

Most say the last birth year is about 1997, so the youngest millennials are 21 or 22, so around their final years of college (uni). So everyone is an adult, everyone can vote and effect the world around them. The folks under them is "Generation Z" (aka, is yet to be named. Millennials were called "Generation Y" or "the baby boomer boomers," as we are the children of the baby boomers, until the millennial name was coined. Generation Y came because the generation before us is called Generation X).

The baby boomers were the biggest generation for a while, but the Millennials (as their kids) are now the biggest. The reason everyone talks about them is because they were all hitting adulthood and their thoughts and ideas really impact the nation as they are simply the biggest age group, especially as baby boomers leave the work force or pass away. Gen Z are the kids of Gen X who were much smaller, so Gen Z might not get talked about as much as Millennials in the end, they just don't have enough numbers to upset things as much as Millennials have.

Here is a little fun way to split the two current "young people" generations:

Millennials: Don't trust the government, hipsters, likes avocado toast, watched their desktop computer become a laptop then a phone then an iPad, lots of student loan debt

Gen Z: Very into gun control (their generation has had the most school shootings), eats tide pods, likes fidget spinners, grew up with iPads and cellphones, avoids student loan debt by working through college or getting scholarships

Those are obviously vague and not everyone in each generation fits the mold I described, but thats what their generations are generally kinda known for right now. Also, that's kinda American-centric so I'm sure Canadians or UK folks or other countries might have things to add/take away for their youth :P

My family and I for whatever reason talk about this stuff a lot, so I know a lot about generations, which is sort of useless expect when the topic comes up on random internet forums :P

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Girl from the North said:

@Snao Cone For now he is silent and making me smile, so.. a success! 

@Midland Tyke I come from a small town outside Oslo, where I now live. So, it’s really more like the south of the north.. Still it’s further north than most people. :)

Oslo is quite high on the list of places I'd like to visit. Only been to Bergen, Trondheim, Tromso, Alesund,  so far (yep, the Hurtigruten). Oh, and a quick stop in Stavanger.

• Like 2

I'm 33 and still sleep with a stuffed animal. The same one I've had since I was 9. It's seen better days. 

• Like 6
colossalpenguins
6 hours ago, Puck said:

Millennials: Don't trust the government, hipsters, likes avocado toast, watched their desktop computer become a laptop then a phone then an iPad, lots of student loan debt

Gen Z: Very into gun control (their generation has had the most school shootings), eats tide pods, likes fidget spinners, grew up with iPads and cellphones, avoids student loan debt by working through college or getting scholarships

Those are obviously vague and not everyone in each generation fits the mold I described, but thats what their generations are generally kinda known for right now. Also, that's kinda American-centric so I'm sure Canadians or UK folks or other countries might have things to add/take away for their youth

One of my friends described UK millennials recently as "Too old to be young, too young to be rich." In the UK we were the first generation to have to pay tuition fees (they were introduced in 1998) and financially it's all just sort of been downhill from there for us. 

I think at times, especially in the media, there is a tendency to just lump Millennials and Gen Z in the same boat, dismissing the opinions of everyone in both of those generations as naiveté (ignoring the fact that the oldest Millennials are rapidly heading towards 40 and the fact that life experience is life experience regardless of your age).

• Like 3
8 hours ago, ben8884 said:

But but...I hate avacado!

(same, tbh)

• Like 1
Autumn Season

I don't have a toy to talk to and hug (anymore), but I'm "crazy" enough that I give myself hugs, shoulder pats and talk to everyone and everything, including myself, pets, trees, my food... yeah. :D In fact I practice talking to myself MORE, in a specific way. I want to cheer myself up and console myself when I'm down. :) This doesn't replace other people. Instead it gives me an additional friend, somebody who is there for me 24/7, no matter what is going on.

• Like 4

@Puck I saw an article a couple months ago talking about how people born between 1977 and 1985 are being referred to as 'Xennials' in places, as they (we) straddle the Gen X and Millenial line. Generation studies are quite interesting imho.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

@Puck I saw an article a couple months ago talking about how people born between 1977 and 1985 are being referred to as 'Xennials' in places, as they (we) straddle the Gen X and Millenial line. Generation studies are quite interesting imho.

Oh, it's so interesting. Especially because there is nothing that really makes the group a group except that people say it is kinda. So sure, there could totally be folks who straddle two generations. And, like many things, I bet most people don't feel like they totally encompass whatever generation they are technically a part of.

BUT, the generations do have trends, many of which are simply effected by birth rates. The baby boomers made a splash because they were the biggest generation. So the millennials, as their kids, are even bigger. So even if only, like %45 of a generation follows a trend, that still could be MILLIONS of people and that CHANGES THINGS. Hence folks being all "MILLENIALS ARE KILLING THE [whatever] INDUSTRY." Because if even %45 of millennials decide to not buy [whatever] thats millions of people choosing to do whatever else.

And it's also interesting to see how a huge group of people are effected by growing up in a similar national climate. Gen X had a pretty dope economic environment, Millenials were coming of age when shit was hitting the fan, Gen Z is in a post-recession world.... That can REALLY effect how a whole generation acts in terms of finances and money management.

Ugh, I love this stuff. It's just so interesting.

• Like 4

There are definitely differences within generations as defined. Look at the Baby Boomers - some of them were born in the 40s and early 50s, and thus they were reaching maturity during the sexual revolution. The "summer of love" was 1967, so those born in the late 50s and early 60s were too young, though their maturation took place in the early days of this major social transformation and would be quite different from those of us who grew up with less of a culture clash around that. It's really cool to talk about this sort of thing with people 5-10 years different in age. One of my closest friends is 9 years older than me, but we have a lot in common when it comes to grunge music and post-Reaganism politics. (We're both Canadian, so in our case it's post-Mulroney, but still a reaction to the wave of conservatism in the 80s.)

I think social class is a factor in this as well, since access to technology has shaped so much of this. Home computers weren't a given for all middle class households in my school years, let alone home internet access. Later in my teen years very few kids had their own cell phones. Younger millennials probably went through very different circumstances.

• Like 3

In recent years I've described myself as belonging to the 'lucky' generation. No world wars, no national service, free tertiary education (albeit for the few not the many), final salary pension schemes paid at an age when fit enough to enjoy them, affordable property (which then boomed in value) at the point when needed. My birth year? 1955, so towards the end of the baby boomers. 

The only gripe I have about later generations is the (seems to me) inability to defer expenditure and save. I lived in a one-room bed-sit from 21-25, didn't have a car (or driving lessons) until late 20's. No TV (I listened to the radio a lot), music system. And of course mobile phones and computers were years away.

But yes, the lucky generation all-the-same.

• Like 3

@Snao Cone There are 5 adults in the house with me, although my mom (born in '58) isn't one to talk about things beyond: how much she hates work, needs to take care of her cat, and wants to move out but doesn't trust giving out ANY personal information online. We've also been really poor all our lives and still are well below the poverty line. Plus, despite our lack of money, my dad wasted lots of money on computer stuff so she automatically seems to distrust them.

I'm the youngest at 35. My wife is 40. My sister is 38 and her wife is 42. There can be some really interesting conversations when we're all together and in a chatty mood (which usually happens when we occasionally get to go out to a restaurant together). 

• Like 4

@Midland Tyke My sister is really bad about not knowing how to save. She had even stated that she 'doesn't want money to sit in a bank doing nothing'. So she spends frivolously while her wife can't pay bills. She and my mom are on the same phone plan and because they don't pay attention to their data usage they wracked up a $1200 phone bill a couple months ago. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

I'm lucky to have seen instilled with a budget-conscious disposition. I always thinking through what money I have in the short term and what money I need in the long term. When otherwise idle, I have a habit of jotting down the next month of money just as a form of fidgeting. I think it causes more stress than necessary, but it's a firmly embedded habit that I've been doing my entire working life. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Spotastic said:

@Midland Tyke My sister is really bad about not knowing how to save. She had even stated that she 'doesn't want money to sit in a bank doing nothing'. So she spends frivolously while her wife can't pay bills. She and my mom are on the same phone plan and because they don't pay attention to their data usage they wracked up a $1200 phone bill a couple months ago. It's ridiculous.

*shakes head*

• Like 1

@Puck I noticed in your list of  comparisons between millenials and generation z is their apple electronics. I wonder if apple is sending mind control beams into their ears that are making them eat tide pods? 🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂

13 hours ago, Spotastic said:

Why did I misread xennials as genitals? :P:P

The perils of reading before morning coffee, oops 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ABryonJ.maybe said:

I think you mean x-genitals, like the xmen but genitals 

I'd like to be X-genitals, then there'd be no stereotypes that you're expected to conform to :P:D

• Like 2

^ Thanks. I've got a mental image now that I don't want! :wacko: 

Spoiler

It may or may not involve claws... :blink:

• Like 2

@Raire, that nearly happened to me (Susie (black cat) pounced and came perilously close to scoring a direct hit) 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Millennials are supposed to be wealthy? 

Millennial Shortbread....