For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

On 2/16/2018 at 7:48 PM, korik said:

I need to get back to Boston some day. 

Sounds like the links finally work!

Phew...

7 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

@njosnavelin Yep, they work. What's the game you're playing in the top pic?

My roommate and his friends were playing, Scythe. I haven’t played it. There are boardgames that their mechanics out weight the fun. This is one of those games for me. 

22 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

I like the colours in the pic of your bike, njos. 

Thank you. I am such a bike sucker.

• Like 1

I love board games with in-depth mechanics. My problem is I don't have anyone to play those kinds of games with, even living in a house with 7 people. :lol: I used to play Risk against myself when I was younger...

FinneganCatch

I'm a big fan of board games in general, in depth mechanics or not. I've had the same problem, finding people to play with can be difficult. Apparently theres a board game cafe near me that a friend wants to go check out so that could be interesting. Played Small World with a group a couple weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. 

• Like 2

About as far as I want to go in the mechanics of a game is, "Puerto Rico”. It is a great mid-range mechanic game and still can maintain oodles of fun. That game is a pre-recquette to gauge do you want a game with more mechanics or less. For me it is less.

@njosnavelin I've seen that game in the store before but haven't picked it up. With a positive recommendation I might. Especially since I'm Puertorican. :D

• Like 1
7 hours ago, njosnavelin said:

My roommate and his friends were playing, Scythe. I haven’t played it. There are boardgames that their mechanics out weight the fun. This is one of those games for me. 

I was gonna say it looked like Settlers of Westeros!

Board game discussion! My people! 

I usually prefer mid-weight games, though I'll occasionally dabble in a heavier game. Worker placement is my go-to mechanic, but I also like deck/tableau builders and dice assignment. 

• Like 2
bluedragonwings

I prefer games that have some chance involved, some strategy, and some ability to mess with the other players. But not too much of any. Settlers of Catan, Arkham Horror, Dominion, Tsuro, Sherrif of Nottingham

• Like 2

We just got Bears vs Babies a few weeks ago and it's some good, simple fun. If you're good with some crude humor. :lol:

• Like 1

I've seen the game, just never played it. I like the furry box it comes in. My newest purchase is Bob Ross' The Art of Chill. It's a family-weight game, so it shouldn't be too difficult to teach. 

• Like 1

Had anyone ever tried those games referred to as “cooperative” (or maybe “collaborative”) play? A friend had one centered around...ghosts or possession or some sort of vaguely NoLa-influenced haunted housery. Anyway, it turns out my normally noncompetitive nature is exacerbated by the fact of having to play solo against a team effort. Unless I am commuting to work and then I am basically a menace to society. 

One person against an entire team, @Caterjunes? I've never played anything like that, but I've played a collaborative game where everyone is on the same team and you help each other win. I can't remember what it was called: it was a card came with a fireworks theme. You have to work together to build the best fireworks display but you're temporarily blinded or something and can't see your cards. :lol: It was silly but fun. 

• Like 1

I've played Fury of Dracula, which is a one-versus-many/hidden movement game. Basically, one person plays Dracula. Four other people play characters from the story where they chase Dracula around Europe.  

• Like 1

My sister-in-law just got the Labyrinth game based off of the movie. It is for 1 to 5 players, but if you have 5, 1 person plays Jarod and goes against the other 4 players. We haven't played it yet, but it looks quite interesting. And there are 5 adults in the house (although my mom tends to not join in such things).

I’m not a fan of strategy games. I’m more of a taboo or trivial pursuit kind of person. But I have two separate friends who have their own large group of gamers who get together and play weekly. I tried joining one of them once and I found it too stressful. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, lemon_lime said:

I’m not a fan of strategy games. I’m more of a taboo or trivial pursuit kind of person. But I have two separate friends who have their own large group of gamers who get together and play weekly. I tried joining one of them once and I found it too stressful. 

I'm exactly the same way! It's just not my thing. And I have a couple friends who are REALLY into them, so I just go for the food :mellow:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

I'm exactly the same way! It's just not my thing. And I have a couple friends who are REALLY into them, so I just go for the food :mellow:

Haha, sounds like a good reason. 

• Like 1

I think my brain just wasn't built for strategy-type games.

My wife likes certain levels of strategy, but not to the same extent that I do. There are many games that she won't play with me (like chess) because it's unfair. At least for chess, I've won tournaments in the past so if I were her I wouldn't play me, either. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

My wife likes certain levels of strategy, but not to the same extent that I do. There are many games that she won't play with me (like chess) because it's unfair. At least for chess, I've won tournaments in the past so if I were her I wouldn't play me, either. :lol:

Yeah there's that element too! My friend has the most structured, rational, strategic mind I've probably ever encountered. I wouldn't stand a chance against him!

• Like 1

@SaturnOOO That's how people have described me, too. Things can get boring for me if my brain isn't challenged. One of my nephews has a mind like that, too, and I wish he wasn't across the country. He beat me in checkers when he was 6!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

Things can get boring for me if my brain isn't challenged

I would definitely say this is accurate about me and probably a lot of people, but different people think differently. And his brain (and presumably yours) is definitely wired differently from mine. But that's why he's my best and oldest friend... we've learned so much from each other. 

• Like 1

When I'm in a social setting I don't really want to strategize. Trivia is great fun, though.

• Like 3

I'm much more a trivia person than a strategy person, but also like table top games