For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

you twenty-somethings can't know about eighties cartoons. us thirty-somethings shouldn't even know about them for the most part 

• Like 3

To be honest, the only 80's cartoons I really remember are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Thundercats. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, LVG said:

To be honest, the only 80's cartoons I really remember are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Thundercats. 

same. and I hated Thundercats

I wasn't much of a fan either. I recall it came on before another cartoon that I enjoyed and was just kind of background noise. 

• Like 1

I was gonna say the X-men cartoon was amazing, but that was early 90s... I think we are a bit too young to remember all the 80s stuff! :D

• Like 4

I think 80s cartoons have had an impression on the people who are too young to have lived through that period of time, because there was something so special about them. Plus, when cable television became standard, there were a loooot more repeats and syndicated shows than when it was just airwaves network TV.

• Like 5

I think that culture tends to be a little restrospective. Takes a long time for familiarity with a piece of entertainment to spread to everyone.

I am wondering if society is growing less interested in "retro" or more.

Like, most people now tend not to buy the shows and music they  consume. So you would think there'd be a trend away from returning to an old thing just because you already have it.

Pretty much every cultural entertainment item, in some form, is available immediately now, so it will be easy to get access to it all. It's just a matter of how it comes to mind. Nostalgia used to be kickstarted by planned trends, like Hot Topic merchandise. People see Rainbow Brite t-shirts in stores and it felt warm and familiar. Now, if it's up to us to look for something, where will we get that feeling from? 

• Like 4

Well, there's also a possibility that nostalgia is becoming a more powerful driver of popularity, you know? It's like, since more and more options are competing for our attention, it makes familiarity an even more important quality. 

You can see it in Netflix's choices in shows to produce. A known celeb is more empowered than ever before to get new projects. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

Pretty much every cultural entertainment item, in some form, is available immediately now, so it will be easy to get access to it all. It's just a matter of how it comes to mind. Nostalgia used to be kickstarted by planned trends, like Hot Topic merchandise. People see Rainbow Brite t-shirts in stores and it felt warm and familiar. Now, if it's up to us to look for something, where will we get that feeling from? 

This sounds like a Black Mirror episode in the making. 

What happens when we commodify...our childhood? [cut to: title screen. In the distance, echoes of screaming Care Bears]

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Rosol said:

you twenty-somethings can't know about eighties cartoons. us thirty-somethings shouldn't even know about them for the most part 

True. Being born in '79 - I mostly only remember late 80s (early 90s) cartoons.

• Like 1
bluedragonwings

Oh my gawd!!!!! Hulu has signed up for two new seasons of Animaniacs. 

tumblr_opeoaokxA31tzqospo1_500.gif

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bluedragonwings said:

Oh my gawd!!!!! Hulu has signed up for two new seasons of Animaniacs. 

tumblr_opeoaokxA31tzqospo1_500.gif

:o !!!!

They better not ruin it.

• Like 1
bluedragonwings

Well it sounds like they are getting a fair amount of band back together. 

I bet Pinky and the Brain will refuse to rejoin, or demand too much money.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

I bet Pinky and the Brain will refuse to rejoin, or demand too much money.

They're far too busy taking over the world. 

You know that movie, Ratatouille? How much do you wanna bet the president of the US doesn't have a rat running things under that comb-over? It's gotta be Pinky, though.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Chimeric said:

You know that movie, Ratatouille? How much do you wanna bet the president of the US doesn't have a rat running things under that comb-over? It's gotta be Pinky, though.

Oh god, this sounds almost plausible.

On 1.1.2018 at 4:54 PM, SaturnOOO said:

What's a rad 80s car?

Hellooo?!

Also, Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner FTW.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, korik said:

I met KITT when I went to Universal Studios when I was.... 12(?) 

So did I (when I was 4)! I don't have a picture, but I think this one is enough proof...

Spoiler

IMG_0022.jpg

• Like 2
23 hours ago, LVG said:

23 hours ago, Rosol said:

same. and I hated Thundercats

Aww, I loved Thundercats lol.  TMNT remains my favorite memory.

• Like 1

We have home-video of our conversation with the car... but this was early 90s, so it's lost on VHS somewhere. I wish I could upload the video and share. it was awesome.

TMNT is one of my favorites, too. ...But Duck Tales is, by far, my favorite cartoon of ALLLLLLLLL time.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DebtheDemi said:

Aww, I loved Thundercats lol.  TMNT remains my favorite memory.

I loved TMNT as a kid but I don't think it holds up well now. The movies are still good though.

• Like 1

Duck Tales has *the catchiest* theme song known to mankind. And mankind had Sailor Moon. 

• Like 6

I don't remember the words, but I certainly remember the "Duck Tales! Awooo"

• Like 6