For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

I can add that it is hard at this age to make and keep friends.

Agreed. But I blame much of it on old friends moving on with their lives. Marriage especially seems to be a death knell to old friendships, and once the kids come along ... forget it. As for making new friends, I think you're absolutely right. I don't want to put up with a bunch of drama just to have someone to talk to; I'd rather drink my coffee alone and read the paper.

• Like 6

I find, lately, that stability is a mixed blessing. I make a good living, but I don't much enjoy what I do. I own a home, which isn't perfect for me, but it works. It's just become easier to hold onto what I have, than risk losing it to try to find something better. And yet a few years ago, when things were less stable, I don't think I worried about change so much.

to you and piper........why is that friends are hard to come by for you guys? I heard from quite a few 30 something friends that once you get to a certain age, friends fades away, disappear into their caves...or lives. I still have a huge circle of friends as many of them are younger than me....older ones are too busy or too coupled up to hang out. Btw, I do think what you want is within reach, its never too late.

Good question but I can add that it is hard at this age to make and keep friends.

Maybe it's because by 30 you start losing tolerance for other people. Its not that you become more critical, you just get tired of humoring their nonsense. If you haven't found a partner that you've grown accustomed to, you have to be prepared to work hard to build new bonds.

I agree...with all of you.

Asexy Librarian

As to how it feels to turn 30, I personally felt like something clicked in my head. I remember walking into work around that time and thinking, "hey! Im an adult now without a doubt, and now I can see through all these older people. Nobody knows anything! Theyre all bluffing! So I am just as qualified as anyone else to have an opinion!"

Mind you, that probably should have happened long before but there were lots of people manipulating me back then. It took the big 30 to make me realise I had a right to control my own life.

I totally agree! When turned 30 I realized that all the stuff the "adults" were preaching, they were definitely not practicing! Then I concluded I am more of an adult than they are, emotionally and otherwise. I kinda just view most people as children in adult bodies these days.

Maybe that's why I don't want to make the bang bang bang with anyone :P

Now I'm 31 and while I have many fond memories of my crazy 20's, I'm happy with them being memories. I like where I'm at now.

Major perk to being in your 30's - you can now start yelling to the kids, "get off my lawn!"

• Like 3

Major perk to being in your 30's - you can now start yelling to the kids, "get off my lawn!"

I find myself thinking that kids have no respect, what with their iPod and their hip hop and such. When I was their age, we didn't have all these fancy little music thingamajigs and we actually paid attention to what was going on around us. Seriously tho, sometimes it seems like we are more connected to other situations then we are the situations that we are currently in.

Ged of Earthsea

I find myself thinking that kids have no respect, what with their iPod and their hip hop and such. When I was their age, we didn't have all these fancy little music thingamajigs and we actually paid attention to what was going on around us. Seriously tho, sometimes it seems like we are more connected to other situations then we are the situations that we are currently in.

First, what does that have to do with respect? Second, the largest demographic for a lot of such electronic gadgets is people in the mid-twenties to mid-thirties, seeing as they are usually financially independent and still care about trendiness.

As a 30-something new to AVEN, I thought I would drop in and say hello. Hello! I look forward to getting you know everyone!

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

As a 30-something new to AVEN, I thought I would drop in and say hello. Hello! I look forward to getting you know everyone!

Welcome to this boat!! hope you like to been around! im offering a welcome cake! :cake:

Welcome to this boat!! hope you like to been around! im offering a welcome cake! :cake:

thankyou for ma

thankyou for making me feel so welcome thanks for the cake i just wish it was real lol. i am looking forward to getting to know people and learn and listen. thanks again as i can be quite shy at first :blush: :blush:

iv found now im in my 30's 32 to be precise lol. that all that stuff that mattered in my mosstly early 0's all the drama etc was all for nothing! i also do have some great memories but they are memories i like where i am now as in being celebate i do and some ppl just cnt gt thier heads around it? aslong as my heads ok then i guess thats all that matters.

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

iv found now im in my 30's 32 to be precise lol. that all that stuff that mattered in my mosstly early 0's all the drama etc was all for nothing! i also do have some great memories but they are memories i like where i am now as in being celebate i do and some ppl just cnt gt thier heads around it? aslong as my heads ok then i guess thats all that matters.

Hey welcome!! dont be shy!! we are in the same boat XD hehe!! a hug and more cake for you!

Welcome, sorry about giving you a hard time about being from ME. ;)

Welcome, all you young kids!

*much-older Older Asexual struggles to her feet, shakes her cane, and hobbles off to the upper end of the Older Asexuals (actually, back onto all sections of the board to annoy the youngsters)*

• Like 2

Hi there :cake:

*much-older Older Asexual struggles to her feet, shakes her cane, and hobbles off to the upper end of the Older Asexuals (actually, back onto all sections of the board to annoy the youngsters)*

:lol: Hi Granny!... :P

Biggest of HUGZ to Sally from the ancient Dragon :lol:

I love being in my 30s. I feel like I have a life now. I'm old enough to tell people to go to hell :lol:

thats so true! and by your 30's youv figured stuff out and understand things alot more...well i have definatly and its my time and my life i was sick of always trying to please everyone now my attitude is if i dnt want to do something i wnt..simples. plus im a young 30 well 32 mature but like having fun ;)

i agree we do need something for us 30+ yr olds . i dnt mind chatting to the younger ones but a chat for ppl abit older would be great. im at a different place than some of the younger ppl esp in the chat rooms i have a little more life experience and have different struggles and different realisations. the younger ones have welcomed me with open arms and are a lovely bunch op ppl but id also like to chat to ppl abit older. this sight is great and ppl really listen and give advise. :) but things im going through now they not or they havnt gotten there yet in thier lives. so yes it would be great if we could have a chatroom for us oldies ;)

I hear often of people on this site who look younger than their years. Interesting. Maybe sex makes people wrinkly hehehe :lol:

I could easily get pass for a teen for years to come. No one I worked with believed I was 27.....Asian genetics(forever young)lol. In regards to wisdom and inner spirit, I am much older due to life experiences, over coming traumas, a young divorce and all that jazz. The good thing about aging well is to keep a nonchalant and easy going attitude, lack of ego struggles and just go with the flow. I see nothing wrong with dressing young, acting silly and just relax a little but true emotional maturity comes handy when dealing with responsibilities, relationships, people and decision makings. There is a fine line between youth and maturity. I've seen some 40 yr old people possessing the qualities that reminded me of a preteen.....but then again who the hell am I to judge right? One thing I remembered that was prominent during my younger days was that I always had to prove myself to someone, state my point boldly, impulsiveness and lack of self control and introspection. As age kicks me in the ass, I begin to mellow out, gain steadiness, and react to criticisms in calm approach. I know when I turn 30, I'll probably care less about the shit I worry these days, become laid back and just a whole new mind set to evolve. I do enjoy youth though, the vitality, the energy, the spirit and aspirations. I always wanted to keep that passion burning instead of becoming overly desensitized by life and reality.

• Like 1

I hear often of people on this site who look younger than their years. Interesting. Maybe sex makes people wrinkly hehehe :lol:

I could easily get pass for a teen for years to come. No one I worked with believed I was 27.....Asian genetics(forever young)lol. In regards to wisdom and inner spirit, I am much older due to life experiences, over coming traumas, a young divorce and all that jazz. The good thing about aging well is to keep a nonchalant and easy going attitude, lack of ego struggles and just go with the flow. I see nothing wrong with dressing young, acting silly and just relax a little but true emotional maturity comes handy when dealing with responsibilities, relationships, people and decision makings. There is a fine line between youth and maturity. I've seen some 40 yr old people possessing the qualities that reminded me of a preteen.....but then again who the hell am I to judge right? One thing I remembered that was prominent during my younger days was that I always had to prove myself to someone, state my point boldly, impulsiveness and lack of self control and introspection. As age kicks me in the ass, I begin to mellow out, gain steadiness, and react to criticisms in calm approach. I know when I turn 30, I'll probably care less about the shit I worry these days, become laid back and just a whole new mind set to evolve. I do enjoy youth though, the vitality, the energy, the spirit and aspirations. I always wanted to keep that passion burning instead of becoming overly desensitized by life and reality.

Ditto that perspective :)

I turned 35 near the beginning of the year. & while I look much younger, & even act younger, sometimes because of my life experience, I feel much, much older.

Me too...

oneofthesun

I think it's hard for us 30-ishers to make and keep friends because most people are partnered at this age. Of course in another five or 10 years half those partnerships will break up, so...

• Like 1