For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

AceMissBehaving
4 minutes ago, Rach1234 said:

I’m eternally grateful that Facebook, Twitter etc (ie social media in its current form) only became a thing when I’d left secondary school. I can’t begin to imagine what it’s like being a teenager trying to figure out how to deal with that minefield. 

Yes! So much of my coming of age awkwardness is thankfully lost to time and only alive in the memories of those who were equally culpable  

• Like 2

*cringe* I'm so glad I didn't have a followers count and permanent camera roll in middle/high school. Kids have an entire new set of problems to worry about, But they are still being so brave and outgoing in support of LGBTQ+ etc. I think they'll be alright when they take over.

• Like 1
Janus the Fox

Only 10 weeks to my 32nd, I honestly seen the last 15 years fly by.

• Like 2

I realized as I saw kids dressed up for grad this year (I live by a scenic park so a lot of them were posing for photos there in their fancy outfits) that a good chunk of them were born after I graduated high school. :P

• Like 2
Chamomile_Serenity
On 7/29/2019 at 9:21 PM, Zagadka said:

I won't be 40 for another year but I already feel somewhat lost between generations. I still don't feel like an adult (that ever ends), but the kids today are so different. I admire them. I wish I'd grown up now, Snapchat and all. I grew up in between Gen-X and Millenials. I like 80s punk and grunge (RIP Kurt, I remember that day vividly) but also 70s classic rock (thanks mom). I grew up with computers, but without the Internet, which makes me somewhat rejected by both groups. Combine that with all of my friends and family having long had families... Until fairly recently I haven't felt like I was valid not having kids by now. I don't know who I should be around, and people in their late very late 30s aren't well represented (my high school and college friends aren't really connected and they generally suck anyway).

So... I'm basically 39 and won't be in this thread for long (40s thread here I come), but hearing oldies on the radio (if radio existed, I use a USB drive instead of Spotify because like I said, I'm in between generations) is sad.

Oh hey there there fellow Xennial, (yes they have a term for us)! I actually love 60's rock, 70's disco, 80's hiphop, and 90's grunge just as much as I like some of the new stuff I'm hearing today...I like a variety of genres so there's that. I'm glad I didn't grow up in a snapchat era I worry about my nieces and nephews and the jun they will have to filter. But I do like that the video phone calls we saw in The Jetsons became a reality...let's go flying cars!

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:17 PM, Chamomile_Serenity said:

Oh hey there there fellow Xennial, (yes they have a term for us)! I actually love 60's rock, 70's disco, 80's hiphop, and 90's grunge just as much as I like some of the new stuff I'm hearing today...I like a variety of genres so there's that. I'm glad I didn't grow up in a snapchat era I worry about my nieces and nephews and the jun they will have to filter. But I do like that the video phone calls we saw in The Jetsons became a reality...let's go flying cars!

I've heard it called the "Oregon Trail Generation"! Played on our family's first computer...an Apple IIe (monochrome)...with a 5 1/4 in floppy! Fun times. I don't like video games now-a-days. I prefer to be in the real world. Though yeah...in this day and age I can understand wanting an escape. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 9:21 PM, Zagadka said:

I won't be 40 for another year but I already feel somewhat lost between generations. I still don't feel like an adult (that ever ends), but the kids today are so different. I admire them. I wish I'd grown up now, Snapchat and all. I grew up in between Gen-X and Millenials. I like 80s punk and grunge (RIP Kurt, I remember that day vividly) but also 70s classic rock (thanks mom). I grew up with computers, but without the Internet, which makes me somewhat rejected by both groups. Combine that with all of my friends and family having long had families... Until fairly recently I haven't felt like I was valid not having kids by now. I don't know who I should be around, and people in their late very late 30s aren't well represented (my high school and college friends aren't really connected and they generally suck anyway).

So... I'm basically 39 and won't be in this thread for long (40s thread here I come), but hearing oldies on the radio (if radio existed, I use a USB drive instead of Spotify because like I said, I'm in between generations) is sad.

Yes, yes, and yes to all of this!

I too remember that day extremely vividly (I'm also 39!), and same thing about the lack of internet, and again, about friends who are married with kids.  While you couldn't pay me to have children at this point, I still feel sort of "lacking", or otherwise deficient, and same feelings of being somehow "less" for not being in a relationship.  

Even the few ace meetups I've been too in my city have been comprised mostly of people quite younger than me, so while it's amazing to have this "aceness" in common with other people, that seems to be where the similarities end, which can be a bit disappointing.  At any rate, I completely empathize with you!!

• Like 2
bluedragonwings

I like “the Oregon trail “ term as it describes me very well. But it is definitely an affluent(ish) American phenomenon. 

But from rotary phone to smart smart phone I think is biggest tech leap of our life. 

I was playing Oregon Trail on floppy disks in the 90's because my school was too broke to buy updated Windows computers. Regardless, we still enjoyed computer class.  

• Like 2
Chamomile_Serenity
On 8/5/2019 at 11:26 PM, tenchinage said:

I've heard it called the "Oregon Trail Generation"! Played on our family's first computer...an Apple IIe (monochrome)...with a 5 1/4 in floppy! Fun times. I don't like video games now-a-days. I prefer to be in the real world. Though yeah...in this day and age I can understand wanting an escape. 

Yup, The Oregon Trail is another name as well. That game...I really sucked at it!

3 hours ago, LVG said:

I was playing Oregon Trail on floppy disks in the 90's because my school was too broke to buy updated Windows computers. Regardless, we still enjoyed computer class.  

We had the floppy disks too. Cheap schools for the win!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LVG said:

Speaking of which, got rid of my last floppy disks after clearing out my loft earlier this year!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Iam9man 🐧 said:

Speaking of which, got rid of my last floppy disks after clearing out my loft earlier this year!

haha

I just moved and in the stuff i moved, I've thrown away zip100 and zip250 disks, and external USB 3.5" disk drive (from first laptop that shipped without one inside)

for some reason i have yet to throw out all the different versions of Windows i have lol

• Like 2
Neutral Charge
On 7/17/2019 at 3:12 AM, bluedragonwings said:

But the mental pain from long term exposure to humans is probably biggest sign of my age. 

im starting to feel this as well more and more everyday =))))

• Like 2
fooledbysecrecy
On 7/30/2019 at 9:44 PM, Rach1234 said:

I’m eternally grateful that Facebook, Twitter etc (ie social media in its current form) only became a thing when I’d left secondary school. I can’t begin to imagine what it’s like being a teenager trying to figure out how to deal with that minefield. 

THIS!^

and i'm glad my parents won't be posting my baby pictures on social media.

also i feel sort of lucky to be part of the generation that lived through the analog-digital transition for some reason?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, AndrewT said:

haha

I just moved and in the stuff i moved, I've thrown away zip100 and zip250 disks, and external USB 3.5" disk drive (from first laptop that shipped without one inside)

for some reason i have yet to throw out all the different versions of Windows i have lol

I went down to speak to Engineering at my last job (in 2016) and as I was leaning against a colleague's desk I noticed one of those old lockable diskette organisers on his bookshelf... with some 5-1/4 inch floppies in there!

• Like 2
On 8/20/2019 at 9:53 AM, fooledbysecrecy said:

THIS!^

and i'm glad my parents won't be posting my baby pictures on social media.

also i feel sort of lucky to be part of the generation that lived through the analog-digital transition for some reason?

My mother has figured out how to scan old photographs and now to post them on Facebook...ugh! I was such a nerd as a kid! Coke bottle glasses (is that the right saying?)...crazy 80's clothing...Oh hold on....I'm still a nerd. Oh well...embrace it!

• Like 1
Chamomile_Serenity
On 8/22/2019 at 12:29 AM, tenchinage said:

My mother has figured out how to scan old photographs and now to post them on Facebook...ugh! I was such a nerd as a kid! Coke bottle glasses (is that the right saying?)...crazy 80's clothing...Oh hold on....I'm still a nerd. Oh well...embrace it!

Yes, my mom started doing the same...so much for missing the generation of moms who post baby pics. I had to rant to her about my privacy and go full blown conspiracy theory about the "marketers are watching and listening to us" so she'd stop.

My mom luckily doesn't have Facebook, but I have cousins and aunts/uncles and other relatives who've scanned old (and ugly!) pics of me.

20 hours ago, Snao van der Cone said:

My mom luckily doesn't have Facebook, but I have cousins and aunts/uncles and other relatives who've scanned old (and ugly!) pics of me.

My mom does have facebook, but she doesn't feel the need to post anything. But my aunts and cousins do. Some of those pictures need to burn. 

• Like 1

I take a lot of photos and I have copies (print or digital) of a lot of old family photos, but I still don't post them on Facebook, or anywhere else without permission. I don't think everyone grasps that it's not about sharing a photo you have with people you want to see it, but more like publishing it and ensuring everyone you know has a copy of that publication.

• 4 weeks later...
bluedragonwings

I really, REALLY, REEEEAALLLLY, don't understand humans, especially in modern western and American society. 

• Like 2
bluedragonwings

Humans keep whining too.

• Like 1
bluedragonwings

And more fun to be around usually, and easier to comprehend, and simpler, less prone to self destruction....

• Like 1

I don't know about all of those. If I was more involved with the day to day living of people, maybe I'd see it differently. But my dog is not very easy to comprehend, and can be a little self destructive. 

• Like 1