For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

Of course, this is not OK @kiaroskuro.@Jasmine Flowers   😳 cancer!  I hope that it can be cured.

It is never 100% sure that all long term effects (incl. cancer, endocrine disruption and effect on the next generation) are listed, specially for the most recent molecules put on the market. Of course, the labs promote these very strongly and cross fingers that the future will not reveal anything of concern...

US citizens may be the most aware about these side-effects issues because of all TV ads for class actions 😉 . If I would have such problem, I would feel really alone and with very little chance to successfully bring it to court. Consumer associations have little power in front of the pharmaceutical lobby.

Some countries (among those who have a social security) have policies to promote and refund better the generic drugs.  Some argue that generics can be less effective. On the bright side they are also the older and most documented molecules.

• Like 2
kiaroskuro
15 hours ago, Jasmine Flowers said:

Psychiatric drugs that I experienced were riddled terribly with dangerous side effects. Dry eyes and dry mouth is very harmful (and that's not all of them)

Dry mouth ... that's harmless, compared to what I have experienced. Once I literally thought I was going to die, I'm not joking.

13 hours ago, Saphoune said:

Consumer associations have little power in front of the pharmaceutical lobby.

Exactly. I feel as if no one takes me seriously when I talk about my experiences and try to warn people about the possible dangers of those drugs.

• Like 2

I started a long-term course of medication towards the start of this year which had/has all kinds of 'exciting' side effects potentially attached to it. To the extent that I have to re-visit the medical team every month for reviews, blood tests and even psychological examinations before they will prescribe the next batch of tablets. 

It's a nuisance, but so far the medication is doing well (not 100% perfect, but it's early days yet) and I haven't experienced some of the uncommon and super-dangerous side effects so far (including therein, suicidal thoughts and a multitude of physical grossness). 

Three side effects that I am aware of experiencing are extreme light sensitivity (so sunglasses for me most of the time!), intolerance of sunlight on my skin (lots of sunblock needed), and... something that's a positive-unintentional side effect in my opinion... an almost complete loss of libido! Yay 😋

• Like 2
Jasmine Flowers
4 hours ago, kiaroskuro said:

Dry mouth ... that's harmless, compared to what I have experienced. Once I literally thought I was going to die, I'm not joking.

Here is my issue with Dry eyes and Dry mouth, I can safely assume that lack of lubrication would cause rapid deteriorating health in those areas.  

Although I will agree with you that some other side effects are more shocking and possibly more dangerous.  

I wish there was something I could do besides worry about children and human existence. 😢

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone experience anxiety about social and environmental issues? Like poverty, social exclusion, possible wars, biodiversity loss, poisonning by chemicals in the environment, antibioresistant bacterias, climate change,...

When I was jounger I was idealistic and act upon some of these topics. It was giving me a boost. Now I act almost the same but also feel guilty about the lack of progress that we have made. I think that this guilt is making me anxious.

SkeletonCat
11 hours ago, Saphoune said:

Does anyone experience anxiety about social and environmental issues? Like poverty, social exclusion, possible wars, biodiversity loss, poisonning by chemicals in the environment, antibioresistant bacterias, climate change,...

Yes!! I experience a lot of anxiety about those issues - it's part of the reason why I'm childfree (besides my general discomfort with children and body horror of pregnancy). It seems cruel to sentence more people to a lifetime of trying to fix what's wrong with our environment while we're still trying to convince loads of existing people there's actually a problem at all. 

On the subject of drugs, I've been wanting to get off birth control for some time, but haven't had luck convincing my gyno to approve a tubal ligation, even after having surgery earlier this year for fibroids. I'm not eager to have surgery again, but in the interests of having full control over my fertility without having to rely on hormonal birth control and the health risks associated with taking that medication for as many years as I have, it seems worthwhile to me. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, SkeletonCat said:

On the subject of drugs, I've been wanting to get off birth control for some time

Long term hormonal birth control is not very good. It hase some cardio vascular risks attached. It could promote fibroids according to google but is is helpful if you have abnormally big and painful ovulation cysts.

I have stopped the pill as I don't plan any sexual activity. There were major changes to my health, after I stopped but it has taken more than 1,5 years for things to stabilise. If needed, there are still condoms and the morning-after pill. I would hate to take it but I still prefer being poisonned for a few days than beeing poisonned for years.

SkeletonCat
10 hours ago, Saphoune said:

I have stopped the pill as I don't plan any sexual activity.

Here's the thing: I'm so paranoid of something happening - i.e. sexual assault - and being unable to control my reproductive freedom because I live in the US, where women can't always get what they need when they need it. I want to be a reproductive dead end completely on my own terms. 

• Like 3

Yes indeed there is always a risk of encountering bad people...I did not know that US was difficult. Is plan B already considered as aborption? In my country you can buy the morning after pill without a prescription. You can also insert a copper IUD as emergency counter measure but for that you need a doctor appointment within 5 days.

Otherwise I can understand the fear of having a child while maybe not being able to give him a decent future. This is why I would really not like a 'single mum' situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Hylethilei
On 6/2/2019 at 9:45 PM, Jasmine Flowers said:

Thank you I enjoyed the video 😊

I saw a comment earlier about prescription medication...

My main concern is that modern medicine is riddled with side effect poison.  Does anyone else consider this unacceptable?  We are supposedly so evolved, yet side effects are acceptable!!!?

@Saphoune

I swear we are still in the infancy stages of the medical field still and have not progressed that well with modern medicine at all. 

• Like 1

I went to the spa yesterday and had a treatment that was supposed to help with soothing aching muscles. The technician also said that it has anti-aging benefits...so I guess I'm at that point now. :P I'm not concerned about how old my skin looks, though, just how sore my body is all the time. That's been a thing for me for years.

• Like 1
On 6/27/2019 at 3:23 PM, Saphoune said:Yes indeed there is always a risk of encountering bad people...I did not know that US was difficult. Is plan B already considered as aborption? In my country you can buy the morning after pill without a prescription. You can also insert a copper IUD as emergency counter measure but for that you need a doctor appointment within 5 days.

Otherwise I can understand the fear of having a child while maybe not being able to give him a decent future. This is why I would really not like a 'single mum' situation.

You can just buy Plan B here I’m pretty sure. Can’t say for certain since I’ve never bought it, but it looks like target has it, and amazon has it. 

On 7/14/2019 at 6:12 PM, Snao Cone said:

I'm not concerned about how old my skin looks, though, just how sore my body is all the time. That's been a thing for me for years.

Is this muscle pain or poor blood circulation? Do you do sports often?

I do sport 2 times a week but find it more difficult now not to hurt myself (sprained knees, back pain,...) these last years. Already old age 😉 ?

3 minutes ago, Saphoune said:

Is this muscle pain or poor blood circulation? Do you do sports often?

I do sport 2 times a week but find it more difficult now not to hurt myself (sprained knees, back pain,...) these last years. Already old age 😉 ?

I don't play sports but I walk a lot, usually 10-15km a day. I'm often carrying things too (groceries, beer, my dog tugging on her leash) and I probably don't do that in the most ergonomical way. 

bluedragonwings

I am definitely getting sore and my flexibility is getting worse. But the mental pain from long term exposure to humans is probably biggest sign of my age. 

• Like 3

Advanced issues found

On 7/15/2019 at 2:12 AM, Snao Cone said:

I went to the spa yesterday and had a treatment that was supposed to help with soothing aching muscles.

My doctor encourages me to go to Yoga and Pilates classes whenever I talk to them about muscular pain. The doctor also drills me on posture, ergonomic workspaces and a bunch of other stuff though. I find the Yoga ok for helping, although I can't rule out the possibility that some of the other stuff helps too.

Advanced issues found

1 hour ago, bluedragonwings said:

But the mental pain from long term exposure to humans is probably biggest sign of my age. 

100% with you on that.

• Like 1

@Snao Cone You are walking a lot and walking a dog is an additional sport... I will never again look down on this activity after babysitting an energetic chihuaha for 2 weeks. The challenge is not always proportional to the size.

I still do yoga. It is good for flexibility and posture but am not really satisfied with the cardio or the muscle training. Either the yoga classes are too much for me, either not enough. Aquagym works better for these. 5 years ago I was going to very physical yoga classes without any problem --> #old age.

@bluedragonwings, @HareSong, meditation may be able to help your "human exposure issues". It works well against stress and frustration. I do long meditative walks in the nature to disconnect.

• Like 2

@Snao Cone, may seem a daft question, but when walking O'Malley do you always hold her leash in the same hand, or do you swap hands during the walk? Particularly if she pulls at the leash this could be putting a twisting force through your upper body that could be balanced out 

AceMissBehaving

I hear you on all everything is tight and hurts always. I think my body is punishing me for all the dumb stuff I did in my teens and 20s 

5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Snao Cone, may seem a daft question, but when walking O'Malley do you always hold her leash in the same hand, or do you swap hands during the walk? Particularly if she pulls at the leash this could be putting a twisting force through your upper body that could be balanced out 

It's probably 90% the right hand now. When I got her in the winter I switched it more because it was so cold I needed my hands to take turns thawing out in my pocket. :P She pulled at it a lot more then. Now I only really have to use my strength to stop her from walking towards something or someone else, which requires me to twist my body anyway.

• Like 2
bluedragonwings

@Saphoune I’ve found escapism into anime/manga/books/games works well too. 

• Like 1
FindingTheta

My body's pretty wrecked from manual labor (arboriculture and organic farming takes a lot out of a person and with little pay to show for it), though I'm still somewhat fit. Thing is, going to school in my mid 30's for something that falls outside the scope of my job experience (Math + Engineering) and still having to meet financial obligations has a way of raising the blood pressure 🤣.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:36 AM, SkeletonCat said:

Yes!! I experience a lot of anxiety about those issues - it's part of the reason why I'm childfree (besides my general discomfort with children and body horror of pregnancy). It seems cruel to sentence more people to a lifetime of trying to fix what's wrong with our environment while we're still trying to convince loads of existing people there's actually a problem at all. 

There was a point in my mid 20's where I was deciding if I wanted to have children (didn't know I was asexual then), and I personally felt that bringing a child into this world conflicted with my ethics especially because they'll be inheriting a destabilizing planet with a powerful few in charge who aren't interested in fixing the problems they caused. Additionally, I am on the spectrum (ASD); life was difficult for me because I was undiagnosed until my 30's, and I didn't have the resources I needed like I have now to be successful in my studies. If I had a kid it would be difficult to provide a nurturing environment if I passed along my ASD, plus if the child were bullied because they were on the spectrum it would be especially hard for me because my K-12 years, and even parts of my adult years were especially traumatic. For me at that time, not bringing a child into this world is about sparing them the hardship that I endure(d); it is an act of mercy.

17 hours ago, bluedragonwings said:

But the mental pain from long term exposure to humans is probably biggest sign of my age. 

I seriously thought that would get better with age, but nope. As far as (annoying) people are concerned, I still have very low frustration tolerance.

• Like 3

@FindingTheta  That is a cool job... but quite hard. Especially if you need to put money on the table. Here, the joung organic farmers are gathering in small coops and practice short distribution circuits with buying groups. Manufacturing simple processed foods is usually better for profit (jams, cheese, yogurt,...).

With the climate change, the environmental situation may evolve and growing some cultures may become difficult. What you learn now may not give you all the answers for tomorrow. In Europe, some forests are dying out due to chronic draughts or migration of fungi or insects. These are huge investments disapearing. The optimal cultures for a specific area are also changing slowly.

• Like 1

I won't be 40 for another year but I already feel somewhat lost between generations. I still don't feel like an adult (that ever ends), but the kids today are so different. I admire them. I wish I'd grown up now, Snapchat and all. I grew up in between Gen-X and Millenials. I like 80s punk and grunge (RIP Kurt, I remember that day vividly) but also 70s classic rock (thanks mom). I grew up with computers, but without the Internet, which makes me somewhat rejected by both groups. Combine that with all of my friends and family having long had families... Until fairly recently I haven't felt like I was valid not having kids by now. I don't know who I should be around, and people in their late very late 30s aren't well represented (my high school and college friends aren't really connected and they generally suck anyway).

So... I'm basically 39 and won't be in this thread for long (40s thread here I come), but hearing oldies on the radio (if radio existed, I use a USB drive instead of Spotify because like I said, I'm in between generations) is sad.

• Like 4

I'm 33 but my interests align more with someone in their mid-twenties...it doesn't help that I look young for my age as well.

I've only recently figured out that I am most likely an asexual, as to if I'm anything else on top of that, I'm still figuring it out.

• Like 3
AceMissBehaving
19 hours ago, Zagadka said:

I won't be 40 for another year but I already feel somewhat lost between generations. I still don't feel like an adult (that ever ends), but the kids today are so different. I admire them. I wish I'd grown up now, Snapchat and all. I grew up in between Gen-X and Millenials. I like 80s punk and grunge (RIP Kurt, I remember that day vividly) but also 70s classic rock (thanks mom). I grew up with computers, but without the Internet, which makes me somewhat rejected by both groups. Combine that with all of my friends and family having long had families... Until fairly recently I haven't felt like I was valid not having kids by now. I don't know who I should be around, and people in their late very late 30s aren't well represented (my high school and college friends aren't really connected and they generally suck anyway).

So... I'm basically 39 and won't be in this thread for long (40s thread here I come), but hearing oldies on the radio (if radio existed, I use a USB drive instead of Spotify because like I said, I'm in between generations) is sad.

Right there with you! I’m 39 as well. I feel really happy for the younger folks who’ve grown up being able to use the internet to find communities of people who get them. 

Sort of straddling the digital and analog generations has its perks though. I got to experience good parts from both. Finding people with common ground on the internet while I was just reaching adulthood, but also the thrill of digging into subcultural spaces when it was all through flyers, zines, and on occasion secret signals. That was really exciting and kind of lost these days 

• Like 2
rachelpenguin
13 minutes ago, AceMissBehaving said:

Sort of straddling the digital and analog generations has its perks though. I got to experience good parts from both.

I’m eternally grateful that Facebook, Twitter etc (ie social media in its current form) only became a thing when I’d left secondary school. I can’t begin to imagine what it’s like being a teenager trying to figure out how to deal with that minefield. 

• Like 1