For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

On 2/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, Spotastic said:

I remember it being a pound sign. 😀

On 2/16/2019 at 2:12 PM, xstatic said:

I also read that as "pound" in my head.

The other day my friend asked me what #s I was using for my Kickstarter, and I read "#s" as "numbers", so I was so confused.

• Like 2
On 2/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, njosnavelin said:

I am amazed at how many people don't know how to use a computer. These people come to me and say, "I need to print something off my phone"

"Great, is it in your Email?"

"Yes"

"There is a computer over there for customer usage. Sign into your Email and print it out."

"I don't know how to do that. Can I Email it to you and you print it out"

"No"

Usually at this conversation trails off into "I don't know my password.", "I don't have time for this." "I don't know how to sign in" "Where is the keyboard?"

I am convinced. Phones have made people stupid OR phones have put technology into the hands of people who couldn't ever afford a computer.

Are they baby boomers? If so, that explains everything.

2 minutes ago, DebtheDemi said:

The other day my friend asked me what #s I was using for my Kickstarter, and I read "#s" as "numbers", so I was so confused.

I also just read that as "numbers" and not "hashtags."  Oops....generation gap.  lol

I'm considered a millennial but I feel more in between boomer and millennial.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, AceOfHearts_85 said:

People in the upper 30's to low 40's right now are kinda in between Millennial and Gen X, so some people have been calling us Xennials. I think it fits, because we're at that crossroads of technology.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Spotastic said:

People in the upper 30's to low 40's right now are kinda in between Millennial and Gen X, so some people have been calling us Xennials. I think it fits, because we're at that crossroads of technology.

Lol, my mind read it as Xenomorphs.

• Like 2
On 2/16/2019 at 8:34 PM, Rach1234 said:

One of my colleagues once asked me why the save icon is a little square. I could’ve died. 

Reminds me of this old joke (or true story?): Someone shows his child a floppy disk. The kid, utterly bewildered, thinks it's a 3D-printed save icon ...

1 hour ago, Spotastic said:

I'm "only" in my mid-thirties, but I've also been thinking of myself as a Xennial since I first came across this term on AVEN.  Millenial always felt wrong, somehow.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Spotastic said:

I'm only 33 about to turn 34 soon so I don't really qualify as a Xennial, even though I think I should.  I just feel a substantial age gap between me & my friends who are born in 1990 and below.  

We are definitely at a crossroad in technology because I grew up with cassette players and many of my friends....well, their first form of music media was a CD.  I didn't have a computer when I was a kid.  We had something called "Web TV" eventually, but before that I had to use encyclopedias and physically go to the library to do my homework.  There were no cell phones as we know them today.  I had to use the old landline telephone to make a call. ☎ I also didn't have a television with a remote for the longest.  Had to actually get up to turn the knobs to switch channels.  LOL!

• Like 1
On 2/15/2019 at 5:16 AM, DemiDummy said:

It went great! Thank you. We decided to get matching cats. "Cattoos." 😂 I hope by the time I am 50 I will have learned how to have fun, and maybe I will feel more like 30 when I'm 50? I like to think I'll make up for my lost childhood in my old age.

Cattoos :)

And here's to youthful 50s!

• Like 1

How times change. As a kidlet if your parents car had a cassette deck you were the nazz, now I was asked today "will this car be so modern it doesn't have a CD player?" 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, AceOfHearts_85 said:

I'm only 33 about to turn 34 soon so I don't really qualify as a Xennial, even though I think I should.  I just feel a substantial age gap between me & my friends who are born in 1990 and below.  

We are definitely at a crossroad in technology because I grew up with cassette players and many of my friends....well, their first form of music media was a CD.  I didn't have a computer when I was a kid.  We had something called "Web TV" eventually, but before that I had to use encyclopedias and physically go to the library to do my homework.  There were no cell phones as we know them today.  I had to use the old landline telephone to make a call. ☎ I also didn't have a television with a remote for the longest.  Had to actually get up to turn the knobs to switch channels.  LOL!

It was sort of similar for me - cassette players, videos, didn't have a computer until my teens (and a year or so more for internet - snail pace dial up, haha). Didn't have a mobile until college. Did most of my work by hand (at one point we had a typewriter but it was a bit broken), also went to libraries. I am 30. 

• Like 1
On 2/11/2019 at 2:28 PM, DebtheDemi said:

Question: I was at church yesterday, and a lady pulled me aside and asked if I don't like wearing a lot of jewelry (really weird question to whisper; I thought she had a more important question lol). I usually have on one pair of earrings, which is ironic because I have 4 ear piercings, and that's it. Sometimes I'll put on a necklace or bracelet.

I'm still pretty new to identifying as ace (2 years this month), so is minimalism an ace thing, or are there some who love to be weighed down in jewelry? (This lady is usually weighed down with jewelry, and she looked so confused when I told her I like the bare minimum.)

I basically never wear jewellery, unless I am dressing up for something. It's not that I don't like jewellery in everyday wear, it's that I just can't be bothered spending time putting it on. I have basically the same approach to make up. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, DebtheDemi said:

Are they baby boomers? If so, that explains everything.

A lot of "Great Depression Era" folks are like that as well, not just Boomers.  My grandparent is in her 80s and can't navigate a smart phone or the internet very well.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2019 at 3:28 PM, Skycaptain said:

How times change. As a kidlet if your parents car had a cassette deck you were the nazz, now I was asked today "will this car be so modern it doesn't have a CD player?" 

My new vehicle does not have a CD player, which I was slightly pissed about. Eventually, I'll just rip them all to a flash drive, because the new vehicle does indeed have a USB port.   

• Like 3
On 2/18/2019 at 2:11 PM, AceOfHearts_85 said:

I’m 33, but as far as computers, we were early adopters. My grandparents had a computer that i used as a really little kid. Little enough that i played a Sesame Street game on this thing, and had to type in the dos command prompt to get to it. We had computers in my elementary school. I think we had some sort of computer in the first house I lived in. We moved when I was 9, and then we definitely had a computer for our use. We had the one for the kids, and my dad had his own. I was probably 10-12 and installing operating systems and stuff on computers that my dad and i would sell. I was also selling stuff on eBay as a young teen. I had my own laptop by junior high. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, MXII said:

Well. 

Looks like im a single Demi ace father as of this morning 

Welcome to Aven

SoWhatYesWhat
23 hours ago, MXII said:

Well. 

Looks like im a single Demi ace father as of this morning 

Sounds like you're having a rough morning.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:22 AM, AceOfHearts_85 said:

I also just read that as "numbers" and not "hashtags."  Oops....generation gap.  lol

I hate being called a millennial. People make it such a bad thing and also don't know how wide the age range is, so they don't realize we're not all teenagers or college aged.

• Like 3
On 2/18/2019 at 4:44 PM, LauraGarnham said:

I basically never wear jewellery, unless I am dressing up for something. It's not that I don't like jewellery in everyday wear, it's that I just can't be bothered spending time putting it on. I have basically the same approach to make up. 

I wear makeup even less than I wear jewelry. I don't have the time!!

On 2/18/2019 at 6:12 PM, AceOfHearts_85 said:

A lot of "Great Depression Era" folks are like that as well, not just Boomers.  My grandparent is in her 80s and can't navigate a smart phone or the internet very well.

Well, yeah, basically anyone older than Gen X. Boomers just seem to be the worst about it though lol. 

2 hours ago, DebtheDemi said:

Well, yeah, basically anyone older than Gen X. Boomers just seem to be the worst about it though lol. 

Oi! We aren't all techno-idiots!

:lol:

• Like 3
11 hours ago, DebtheDemi said:

I wear makeup even less than I wear jewelry. I don't have the time!!

Takes me about 5-10 mins to do make up ... but still could spend those minutes in better ways. 

• Like 1
itsalrightnow
On 2/18/2019 at 1:11 PM, AceOfHearts_85 said:

I just turned 33 and while I love technology and greatly benefit from the internet, I'm glad I can remember my life before it, haha. And I'm especially glad social media wasn't a thing in my teens. My friends and I always joke that being an early teen in the '90s is a privilege because we still did stupid stuff, there was just no way for it to go viral. 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, itsalrightnow said:

I just turned 33 and while I love technology and greatly benefit from the internet, I'm glad I can remember my life before it, haha. And I'm especially glad social media wasn't a thing in my teens. My friends and I always joke that being an early teen in the '90s is a privilege because we still did stupid stuff, there was just no way for it to go viral. 

I'm glad the internet as a social tool was so uncommon in the 90s, because it allowed me to chat with people without anyone I went to school with knowing what was going on. Cyberbullying now seems horrendous, with both the tools people have to harass others and the content that can be distributed. 

lol

You people do not appreciate that some of us, never had any privacy.

Alot of you just assume lack of privacy came with the net. Na, its been going on for along time.

I have had no privacy since 1992, since i was at school. So i have lived with absolutely no privacy, and those using it, to ridicule me. So the lack of privacy thing has been with many of us, long before the net came along.

You cannot live no life without privacy. Its why there are laws protecting it. I never had that privilege though in my adult life, and you cannot live any life, where people know what your doing all the time, day in day out.

Though i do agree, the net, has taught alot, about lack of privacy, gov targeting you to ruin your life, like uk, and usa, can absolutely take away all your privacy all your life, and leave you with no chance of living any life, like they did to me.

They did this to me, just for there fun, of ruining your life.

Just pointing this out, for those who assume, lack of privacy just exists because of net. No, if 1st world gov target you, they can easily take away every bit of your privacy, and ruin your life. This was going on before the net. But of course back before net, people actually had to follow you around to do such a thing, now gov can use the net, and its very easy for them now.

Just thought i would post this, for those whom believe lack of privacy is just a net thing. Having no privacy, existed for some of us, long before net. But it took gov to target you, for that to happen in your life.

On 2/21/2019 at 2:08 PM, DebtheDemi said:

I hate being called a millennial. People make it such a bad thing and also don't know how wide the age range is, so they don't realize we're not all teenagers or college aged.

In fact, that age group is an entirely different generation. The youngest millennials are in their mid-twenties. I don't object to being called a millennial, because I am one, and I find it funny how the term is misused so often.

• Like 2