For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

@DesertWellsI never found the hairdressers difficult myself - that is to say the process of going in, waiting (an inordinate amount of time), sitting, small-talk and backwards mirror judging. 

What did put me off (back in 2000 or thereabouts) was finding a hairdresser that I could travel to where I wouldn't spend more on train travel / buses than the cut itself! 

So I saved up as I became a hairy monster, and got myself a hair trimmer. The best £40 I spent. 

• Like 1

I also hate going to the hairdresser, which is why I try to avoid it. I don't like the chitchat and I hate what I look like with that smock around my neck, because it makes my face look so fat! I also have a lot of weird hangups about hair. I hate having it commented on and I hate having suggestions about what to do with it. I do not have the patience to put any time into it, and with the kind of hair I have I can't just leave it out to dry. In a bad mood I will get very offended at any comments about my hair, even from a professional.

Guest DesertWells
1 hour ago, Lucinda said:

Perhaps barbers are better for you?

You may be right, but whenever I go to a barber I come out looking like a 12 year old (or so I’ve been told). Of course, I do appreciate having my hair cut nicely too. I also enjoy when they wash my hair while I sit quietly in the fancy massage chair, that’s nice.

Maybe I had some bad experience at a barber/hairdressers when I was a kid that I can’t remember, I have no idea why it throws me off kilter.

I will admit, I’m slightly exaggerating my offence toward hairdressers for dramatic/comedic effect, but I meant everything I said 😁 Especially the back-of-the-head mirror judging, seeing the back of my head is a very odd experience. Next time you go, and they show you the back of your head, just think “that’s the back of MY head, and this is the only time I get to see it”. You may come back here and be like “DesertWells, you were right!” 😋

@Raire I see I should count myself lucky, my hairdresser is quite near. The waiting doesn’t bother me though, it’s just the fact when you walk in they wait for you to say something to the effect of “haircut please”.

@Lusnaofer yay, I’m not alone. I also avoid going, every time I go back there they say “how long has it been?” I say a few months, but they always check on the machine! “6 months! Come sooner next time” I say I will, I don’t. The cycle repeats.

bluedragonwings

I have found if you close your eyes while they work, they are less likely to try and talk to you. Although the initial questions of what you want are still there. Which I hate answering. I am like, "My hair is an unforgivable eldritch horror, so just try and make it as presentable as possible without shortening it much"

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, bluedragonwings said:

My hair is an unforgivable eldritch horror

High five for being tortured by the cursed genes of unreasonable curls!

• Like 1
bluedragonwings

I think I have a vague way of dealing with it. However it involves some product and long periods of air drying with my head tilted forward.

I just put red through my hair to try to get rid of the last remnants of the green. I never go to hairdressers though.. I don't trust them! I already have enough hang-ups about my hair and my appearance without a bloody hairdresser messing things up 😕

I think I just exist in a different world from hairdressers. They understand things I don't, and they've based their trade around it. This also makes me think I'm failing at femininity (as does my seeming inability to relate to many people in my majority-women workplace). But maybe that's a topic for the Gender forum.

Hairdressers/barbers are bearable if they just ask what do you want and get on with it. The most uncomfortable experience I had was being given an unsolicited scalp massage - a seriously unsettling experience who's only achievement was that I've not been back to that establishment since 

• Like 2

I think my time in the Marine Corps having someone roughly run a shaver over my head in boot camp before moving on to the next in line skewed my view of barbers. I generally just want my hair cut short anyway, but there is little a barber can do to really upset me. Plus, my wife usually cuts my hair these days.

10 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Hairdressers/barbers are bearable if they just ask what do you want and get on with it. The most uncomfortable experience I had was being given an unsolicited scalp massage - a seriously unsettling experience who's only achievement was that I've not been back to that establishment since 

The scalp massage is the only part I like. 

• Like 2
Guest DesertWells
39 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

I think my time in the Marine Corps having someone roughly run a shaver over my head in boot camp before moving on to the next in line skewed my view of barbers. I generally just want my hair cut short anyway, but there is little a barber can do to really upset me. Plus, my wife usually cuts my hair these days.

I really need to get myself a wife, where do I find one?

BrownEyedKitty

I just cut my own hair.  I've been to a hairdresser exactly once, but most of the time it seems like too much trouble/too expensive.  She did a great job, though. 😁

1 hour ago, DesertWells said:

I really need to get myself a wife, where do I find one?

I found mine in a game that we both played online and now we've been married for 11 years (as of the 12th). ^_^

• Like 2

All this discussion about hairdressers reminds me that I should get a haircut at some point in the future. 

• Like 1
Guest DesertWells
On 10/16/2018 at 8:01 PM, Spotastic said:

I found mine in a game that we both played online and now we've been married for 11 years (as of the 12th). ^_^

That’s awesome. Very happy for you 🙏

I love to hear stories like that, they’re the real fairytales.

Someone mentioned Charlie & the Chocolate Factory today...

Did anyone else’s parents say something along the lines of “You’ll end up like Veruca Salt!” when you were ‘naughty’?

I truly don't understand why every time I go to the hairdresser, there's an almost equal number of women and men. I mean, men (and GNC people like me) obviously need haircuts more frequently than the average woman.

Apart from the pleasure of getting a scalp massage, what's the appeal of letting a stranger fumble around with scissors close to your main artery and eyes etc.?

@kiaroskuro From my understanding, it's a social thing for a lot of people. It's a way to get away from 'real life' and let someone pamper you while idly chatting. Some people like that kind of stuff, although it seems that most here (including me) don't.

• Like 1

I've been cutting my own hair for years now. Watched a tutorial on youtube and never went back. I cut everyone's hair in our house now including the dog.

• Like 3
Guest DesertWells
30 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

@kiaroskuro From my understanding, it's a social thing for a lot of people. It's a way to get away from 'real life' and let someone pamper you while idly chatting. Some people like that kind of stuff, although it seems that most here (including me) don't.

Yup, my mum is one of these people. She’ll go to the hairdressers like it’s a day out with the girls, she gets her hair done, nails, anything she can think of to spend more time there chatting!

She loves it though, so as long as she’s happy. Lots of people are like that.

@taneuni welcome 🍰 you are a blessing to your household. You should charge for your services 😁

Idle chit-chat, just my kind of thing. 🙄

Might as well go shopping ... Which is the lesser evil?

I really like having a new haircut and new clothes, but going to the hairdresser or shopping is annoying as hell, more often than not.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, DesertWells said:

@taneuni welcome 🍰 you are a blessing to your household. You should charge for your services 😁

I'd just be paying myself since I basically bring in all the money :lol:

I don't mind clothes shopping, at least not when the trends are compatible with my tastes. Skinny jeans have been dominating the racks for too long. The last pair of jeans I tried on was too big in the waist but I couldn't even get the waistband up to that level because my calves couldn't even fit through the thigh portion of the legs. 

Guest DesertWells

I think my sister put me off shopping for life. She’s the kind who looks in every shop and every item in the shop, and either buys nothing or buys the very first thing she looked at. She would literally stay in a single little clothes store for an hour or more. If I were to write a book about it, I’d call it “boredom and back ache”.

I don’t mind shopping really, as long as it’s a little more focused than that kind of experience.

I don't get retail tourism, personally, but that's a big thing here. People take trips down south to do as much shopping as they can handle.

Scandinavian folks take the ferry to Germany just to raid the liquor section in the border shop and go back home (they can get a refund for the VAT, which is quite a deal). We do have quite a bit of retail tourism, where people who live near the border go to Poland or the Czech Republic to buy stuff. OTOH Swiss folks visit the south of Germany.

I do get cross border shopping, but I don't get stuff like travelling 100km to go to Ikea "just to have a look". WTF why would I go to a furniture store if I don't actually need furniture.

Shopping sucks a pair of giant hairy donkey testicles.

• Like 1

Shopping is about status and perceived status. Even if if you don't buy stuff, people think that saying you went looking at (insert expensive frippery here) tells others that you have the means to buy one, and only your taste stopped you.