For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

On 7/13/2018 at 5:49 PM, bluedragonwings said:

I consider myself old. However I have considered myself old since I was like 16. 

What made you consider that as early as 16, bluedragonwings?

njosnavelin
3 minutes ago, Tempesta said:

I won’t answer for bluedragonwings. My own experience with his feelings are all my friends wanted to stay out late and do things people, and I never did. I wanted to sleep. They wanted to drink and smoke and I had no interest in those things. I wanted to sleep. 

I connected better with people much older people than me. I loved hearing their stories of mischief when they were younger. I enjoy learning to their life advice.

• Like 2
njosnavelin

I don’t subscribe to the “prime” of anyone’s life. This kind of thinking is as if you are a product and you aren’t. You are a human being. We all have our moments young and old that are beautiful to us in their own way.

All my activity I do I feel as this is the healthiest I have ever been. I do running,

biking, and yoga regularly. In conjunction with diet management.  I don’t feel any older than when I did 10 years ago. The difference is I have a focus now of full wellness.  

I connect with people young who are 13 to 10 years younger and older by 10 to 20 years of all diversities. I love the verity.

• Like 5
bluedragonwings
3 hours ago, Tempesta said:

For me, mostly feelings of Ennui and my attitudes leaning toward Existential nihilism. Mostly I just felt old and used up.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, njosnavelin said:

I won’t answer for bluedragonwings. My own experience with his feelings are all my friends wanted to stay out late and do things people, and I never did. I wanted to sleep. They wanted to drink and smoke and I had no interest in those things. I wanted to sleep. 

I connected better with people much older people than me. I loved hearing their stories of mischief when they were younger. I enjoy learning to their life advice.

I felt the same way when I was younger. This is probably why I felt like such an outcast in college despite being the same age as everyone else. 

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
On 7/14/2018 at 6:22 PM, Spotastic said:

@Peterson515 I did, or AMU if you want to get technical. Going for business analytics, too.

I am actually enjoying the applied business analytics grad program (sometimes). The algebra and calculus is extremely challenging for me though, but I just plug along. What I really like about the courses are the textbooks; they contain a massive wealth of knowledge. I'm not sure how much I am retaining, but I'm learning. I think that within business analytics it might be an added benefit to bring into a niche. For myself, I am looking at how to integrate business analytics with meta-sustainability (a term that I use regarding the sustainability of all things.) Another thing that I like about the program is that when I graduated with my bs degree, I was upset that I didn't cultivate any useful technical skills in my undergraduate program, and in this program we are heavily involved in Excel, learning some pretty cool shit. I didn't keep any of my textbooks from my undergrad programs, but I will be keeping many of the textbooks that I have been using in this grad program. We move through the courses super quickly, but after the course is complete, I like to go back and go through the textbooks on my own, along with solving the technical questions at the end of the chapters. I will usually do one or two accelerated 8-week courses at a time (9 credits per semester) and then also be revisiting one course that we flew through, to get a better understanding of the material. 

• Like 1

@Peterson515 Out of these 2 classes, I definitely like the way my microeconomics class textbook works compared to history of science. Everything is neat and orderly, with key words right there for you in the margins, real world examples at the end of a lesson, and helpful practice problems. I was having a bit of problem with interpreting graphs and properly applying them to real world examples, but my professor linked me to a great YouTube series to help with that. I have college algebra in September, along with macroeconomics, but I've always been exceptionally good at math. My family refers to me as a human calculator.

Glad that you're enjoying yourself, too, and decided to go forward with graduate studies. Once my GI Bill is used up, I'm not sure how viable continuing with school past a BS would be, but that's still a long way off.

• Like 1
Chamomile_Serenity
On 7/13/2018 at 12:09 PM, Snao Cone said:

Welcome! :D:cake: I certainly feel older (in a good way) when reading some of the threads from teenagers talking about how their peers act. :P

Haha! @Snao Cone this is true. 

Strange But Not a Stranger

I am probably late to the topic, but I apparently look way younger than I am as well. A couple of years ago someone I know through work thought I was still in school besides my job. lol. I was about 35 or something. 

Around the same time I went to the grocery store to buy a couple of beers. The cashier didn't want to sell it to me first, because she thought I was too young. I said, madam, I am 35. She insisted I was most certainly not older than 18. I was flabbergasted. Then she finally realised I was trying to buy alcohol free beers, so all the fuss was for nothing anyway.

I always hated looking younger. Nowadays I have found an appreciation for it, except when people think I am THAT young.

On 7/20/2018 at 9:07 AM, Fifi123 said:

I am probably late to the topic, but I apparently look way younger than I am as well. A couple of years ago someone I know through work thought I was still in school besides my job. lol. I was about 35 or something. 

Around the same time I went to the grocery store to buy a couple of beers. The cashier didn't want to sell it to me first, because she thought I was too young. I said, madam, I am 35. She insisted I was most certainly not older than 18. I was flabbergasted. Then she finally realised I was trying to buy alcohol free beers, so all the fuss was for nothing anyway.

I always hated looking younger. Nowadays I have found an appreciation for it, except when people think I am THAT young.

Same here. It's kind of ironic seeing that most women my age want to look younger, but I'm actually looking for ways to look older. Maybe it's just my perception, but I hate it when people treat me as if I was significantly younger. It became a real problem.

Luckily, I can buy alcohol without being asked to show my ID, that's at least something. @Fifi123 - I find those situations incredibly annoying, too, but I think the day will come when we'd be happy if someone told us we're too young to buy beer 🙄

On 7/21/2018 at 7:51 AM, kiaroskuro said:

I think the day will come when we'd be happy if someone told us we're too young to buy beer 🙄 

I see it as saving a few seconds of my precious time if I don't have to pull my ID out. :P

• Like 2

I noticed I haven't gotten carded in a few years. Guess I finally look of age now. 

I didn't get carded on Friday, perhaps because I was already drunk. 😛

• Like 1

I find it amusing that I never got asked for 🆔 until after I was legal, yet I bought alcohol in pubs and off licenses when I was sixteen, and the proprietors knew that I was underage. 

I've never been asked for ID, guess I've always looked old, or back in the day the landlords didn't care as much

PeterPanForever
16 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

I didn't get carded on Friday, perhaps because I was already drunk. 😛

I got carded Friday and I think that it was because I was drunk and acting like a child lol 😝 

• Like 1
sparklingstars
On 7/24/2018 at 5:30 AM, Peterson515 said:

I got carded Friday and I think that it was because I was drunk and acting like a child lol 😝 

You?  Acting like a child? I'm shocked lol 😜😁

sparklingstars

I was always carded every time I went to buy alcohol up until I turned 35.  Now I'm only carded about half the time.

• Like 2
I'mTheDecoy
On 7/13/2018 at 9:27 PM, Peterson515 said:

Dear Lord, 30's is NOT old. Actually, when I am wishing that I was young, I am wishing that I was 30. I would say that PRIME time is 35. 

I wouldn't want to be younger than my thirties, it has taken me this long to sort my shit out and I like to think (or hope) that I make fewer mistakes these days.  But, as soon as you are old enough, legally at least, to be the parents of some of your coworkers (where I live, that would be 32 onwards), well, you certainly can't be thought of as young any more.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:01 PM, AndrewT said:

Have to say going to university now with all the kids in their early 20's makes you feel old

Haha, I must admit that I despised all mature students when I was at uni.  Mostly because they were so condescending all the time, going on about how they were smarter because of all their life experience.  Even my friend who was only 25 made a big deal of being a 'mature' student.  Sometimes I consider going back to get a masters but then I remember that that would make me a dreaded mature student.  Eek.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:58 PM, njosnavelin said:

When I was a little kid, I didn't like other little kids.  I couldn't understand them and much preferred adults.  I used to eat my lunch with the teacher rather than go in the hall with the infants.  As a teen, I found that I was the only one who liked music, films and literature that had been created long before I was born, so I used to think of myself as displaced in time.

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
4 hours ago, sparklingstars said:

You?  Acting like a child? I'm shocked lol 😜😁

I just don’t seem to be growing up. I blame the top ramen. Just can’t even put it into words at the moment 😊

PeterPanForever
4 hours ago, I'mTheDecoy said:

I wouldn't want to be younger than my thirties, it has taken me this long to sort my shit out and I like to think (or hope) that I make fewer mistakes these days.  But, as soon as you are old enough, legally at least, to be the parents of some of your coworkers (where I live, that would be 32 onwards), well, you certainly can't be thought of as young any more.

Haha, I must admit that I despised all mature students when I was at uni.  Mostly because they were so condescending all the time, going on about how they were smarter because of all their life experience.  Even my friend who was only 25 made a big deal of being a 'mature' student.  Sometimes I consider going back to get a masters but then I remember that that would make me a dreaded mature student.  Eek.

When I was a little kid, I didn't like other little kids.  I couldn't understand them and much preferred adults.  I used to eat my lunch with the teacher rather than go in the hall with the infants.  As a teen, I found that I was the only one who liked music, films and literature that had been created long before I was born, so I used to think of myself as displaced in time.

What age would I want to go back to? That’s a tough one. I feel like I don’t want to go back, and I don’t want to be stuck where I’m at, so the only place to go is forward, I suppose. 

5 hours ago, I'mTheDecoy said:

I wouldn't want to be younger than my thirties, it has taken me this long to sort my shit out and I like to think (or hope) that I make fewer mistakes these days.

I totally get this. My confidence in my 30s has grown significantly. It started in my late 20s, as this kind of thing doesn't simply have an on switch and had to grow over time, but personal growth really started to materialize in life circumstances when I was 30.

On 7/16/2018 at 6:20 AM, Peterson515 said:

I am actually enjoying the applied business analytics grad program (sometimes). The algebra and calculus is extremely challenging for me though, but I just plug along. What I really like about the courses are the textbooks; they contain a massive wealth of knowledge. I'm not sure how much I am retaining, but I'm learning. I think that within business analytics it might be an added benefit to bring into a niche. For myself, I am looking at how to integrate business analytics with meta-sustainability (a term that I use regarding the sustainability of all things.) Another thing that I like about the program is that when I graduated with my bs degree, I was upset that I didn't cultivate any useful technical skills in my undergraduate program, and in this program we are heavily involved in Excel, learning some pretty cool shit. I didn't keep any of my textbooks from my undergrad programs, but I will be keeping many of the textbooks that I have been using in this grad program. We move through the courses super quickly, but after the course is complete, I like to go back and go through the textbooks on my own, along with solving the technical questions at the end of the chapters. I will usually do one or two accelerated 8-week courses at a time (9 credits per semester) and then also be revisiting one course that we flew through, to get a better understanding of the material. 

Glad you're enjoying it! What was your BS in again?  I'd love to have a more useful applied-degree and Analytics would be so useful around here, but I'm afraid if I look into any more MA programs that only want to feed their exact bachelors degree into their Master's program then I'll get a little twitchy or stab happy. XD

• Like 1
PeterPanForever
33 minutes ago, Cimmerian said:

Glad you're enjoying it! What was your BS in again?  I'd love to have a more useful applied-degree and Analytics would be so useful around here, but I'm afraid if I look into any more MA programs that only want to feed their exact bachelors degree into their Master's program then I'll get a little twitchy or stab happy. XD

My major was sociology, with minors in psychology, philosophy, environmental studies, and sustainability systems. Of these, the sustainability systems courses were the only ones that went at it from an applied perspective. 

I wanted to be a professor even though I knew that the odds were stacked against me, but my senior year I became a research assistant and hated it. It made me think that I couldn’t compete in that field and would be better off coming up with a new plan before crisis hit. 

Although i am super satisfied that I am now learning technical skills that can be applied in both public and private spheres, much of an online masters program is just more of my senior year of undergrad. I think that is mostly the case because I chose to do it online.

The doctoral degree I am looking at is online too, but when I move to dc in December I will begin the process of looking for work. It has now been five full years since I’ve had a job. I am filled to the brim with self doubt on the one hand, but on the other hand, I’m not going to be coerced into doing something that I don’t want to do, especially if it doesn’t pay a livable wage.

my own solution to minimum wage problem and industry that justifies paying less than a livable wage is to sit out; I won’t work for less than a wage that supports my contribution with a comfortable lifestyle. That also means that I need to improve my hire ability in some other way.

Nobody wants to live in poverty, and I am living in poverty as we speak, but also, anyone working 40 hours per week shouldn’t be in poverty, and the 15 years prior I was working for $9/hr as a night auditor, living in poverty. That is kinda the history behind my ‘Ah, hell no!’ movement, which is a movement of one. There are probably others, but most are unable to protest in this way because they have mouths to feed. 

• Like 3
sparklingstars
19 hours ago, Peterson515 said:

I just don’t seem to be growing up. I blame the top ramen. Just can’t even put it into words at the moment 😊

My mom has a sign (I bought it for her years ago) that says "Growing old is mandatory ; Growing up is optional".

• Like 3
PeterPanForever
11 minutes ago, sparklingstars said:

My mom has a sign (I bought it for her years ago) that says "Growing old is mandatory ; Growing up is optional".

I am split on growing up; in some ways I want to grow up, but in other ways, I don't. I want to relive my twenties and thirties in the city, as an asexual, but also with the mentality of already having had "been there and done that." I guess that the part of me that wants to grow up is the part of me that wants to be more responsible than what I have been in the past, but on my own terms and my own conception of what that responsibility is and entails. 

9 hours ago, Peterson515 said:

anyone working 40 hours per week shouldn’t be in poverty

What a concept. <_<

• Like 3