For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

2 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

I think that rule is outdated and obsolete. Context matters in all cases. 

If the context were right then it wouldn't be stooping. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

I think that rule is outdated and obsolete. Context matters in all cases. 

By the way, when is your flight? I like to plan ahead....

On 5/10/2018 at 12:04 PM, Losti said:

I just turned 30 and I'm having such a hard time with it. I love superhero girls and legos and graphic novels. My room looks like a 12 year olds. And most of the time that's how old I feel. I never knew anyone else felt like this

I know at least 3 30 plus year olds (including myself) who like Gravity Falls and the DuckTails reboot. I think it's totally OK.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

By the way, when is your flight? I like to plan ahead....

I just got on the plane. The people next to me have burritos. They smell nice, on this end. 

21 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Cats hate tidy rooms. Mine very carefully emptied the contents of the waste paper basket all over the floor last night

My cat noses through the trash like a dog.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ben8884 said:

I know at least 3 30 plus year olds (including myself) who like Gravity Falls and the DuckTails reboot. I think it's totally OK.

My wife and I loved Gravity Falls. It's really designed for adults to understand what's going on better than kids, anyway. 

And most graphic novels these days are aimed at people in our age range because we grew up with them. And most of the ones that I read really aren't for kids. :D

• Like 1

The majority of shows/movies I watch on Netflix are animated. 

• Like 1
On 5/16/2018 at 6:18 PM, Midland Tyke said:

I think we both realise that if one has to stoop to swearing, then one has lost the battle.

I think it depends where you live. At my job and in my friend groups it would be fucking weird if swears weren’t peppered in to hyperbolize whatever we were discussing. And everyone at my job are college-educated, polite, and established in their careers, as well as the vast majority of my friends outside of work; it’s just part of the culture of the area I live in.

Now, swears used as direct insults? Rare would that happen, and I would agree that would show a weakness on the insulters part.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Puck said:

in my friend groups it would be fucking weird if swears weren’t peppered in to hyperbolize whatever we were discussing.

I also move in some circles where this is the norm. I've come to accept it, but don't contribute in kind. If "fucking" just means "very", then why not use "very"? And keep the "fucking" for something more extreme.

But I'm old-fashioned about swearing. At least I recognise that. Doesn't mean I have to participate, mind you!

There are also regional differences. There has been a long discussion on Aven about the c-word, and it's use in Australia, I believe. I just prefer to side-step all of those issues and refrain. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

I also move in some circles where this is the norm. I've come to accept it, but don't contribute in kind. If "fucking" just means "very", then why not use "very"? And keep the "fucking" for something more extreme.

If "very" means "fucking," then why not just use fucking? :P I grew up in an area where swearing was certainly not appreciated, my parents gasp nearly to this day if I don't watch my tongue in their presence. But personally, I like that swearing a lot takes away swears power. I felt like I was raised to believe there is never a time to use a swear because they were extreme and bad (importantly, not just extreme, but a really really bad thing to do). It gave them more weight and power, which is, in my eyes, unnecessarily unless they are a slur. It made me feel uncomfortable or strange when someone swore, not like I thought they were expressing extreme emotions. I suppose it was like a kid who grew up in a family that was very healthy going to college and being able to consume as much candy as they wanted for the first time. The difference being, of course, swears are just words and don't have health defects, so imo there is no harm in slipping into the verbiage of the community you fall into, and my community uses a fuck ton of swears :P

I use swears in my daily vernacular but have never found myself unable to express extreme situations because I choose to utilize those words. I still have inflection, body language, a multitude of other words, and many other tools to help me express when something is extreme.

But I'm old-fashioned about swearing. At least I recognise that. Doesn't mean I have to participate, mind you!

Totally. I'm teasing a bit, but I honestly don't want you to feel uncomfortable or affronted by my word choice. I think it's best that everyone participate to their comfort levels and am super pro everyone expressing why they have the comfort levels they have!

There are also regional differences. There has been a long discussion on Aven about the c-word, and it's use in Australia, I believe. I just prefer to side-step all of those issues and refrain. 

Yes, this. Regional is big. I do think slurs are special circumstances apart from swears. As I said, I was taught swears never have a place because they are extreme and bad. I do think that holds up with slurs. Words do have power and words that exist only to insult, belittle, or oppress others aren't ok. I don't think fuck does that, but I sure do think the c-word does.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Puck said:

If "very" means "fucking," then why not just use fucking? :P 

Haha. Very good.

I'm torn between "because it doesn't"

and

"Being Ace I don't have any use for fucking, so why not?"

😊

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

I never really got why people have an issue with the "C-Word". I say it and it doesn't bother me hearing it, My view is we use Dick as a rude word and the C-Word is just the female version, so why is that more offensive?. I mean you could call someone a penis or a vagina it is hardly different but people for some reason see it that way.  The only difference i can really see from them is the intonation people use. the C word is always said a bit more sharply? i guess. While other swear words are less sharp sounding? I don't know. But yea really don't get people's issue with it. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Lilsi said:

I never really got why people have an issue with the "C-Word". I say it and it doesn't bother me hearing it, My view is we use Dick as a rude word and the C-Word is just the female version, so why is that more offensive?. I mean you could call someone a penis or a vagina it is hardly different but people for some reason see it that way.  The only difference i can really see from them is the intonation people use. the C word is always said a bit more sharply? i guess. While other swear words are less sharp sounding? I don't know. But yea really don't get people's issue with it. 

I don't think I've ever heard you swear! And I don't think that can be solely down to my (previously) poor hearing....  Perhaps because I don't swear much you adjust when you are with me? Most of us do that, I think. It's a rare person who completely says "this is who I am - take it or leave it" with zero wiggle-room.

8 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

I don't think I've ever heard you swear! And I don't think that can be solely down to my (previously) poor hearing....  Perhaps because I don't swear much you adjust when you are with me? Most of us do that, I think. It's a rare person who completely says "this is who I am - take it or leave it" with zero wiggle-room.

I don't swear a lot, i do sometimes especially if i am ranting. But general day to day talk no i don't often swear.  I'm not one of those people that just randomly drop a 'fucking' in to conversation for no apparent reason.  I do have one friend who does this and i moan at him for it because it is just pointless but he has done it for so long it is weirdly natural and just automatic for him now. 

• Like 1
Skycaptain

To people around my age and younger, I think "fuck", and it's derivatives have ceased to be swear words, and have become emphasising terms. It's just evolution of language. Bum, for backside is another example. Never used when I was younger, but safe to use as a tagine in a toilet paper commercial today. The C-word on the other hand has done the opposite, it's gone from day-to-day language to being taboo slang. 

• Like 4

I've heard a derivative of the c-word (rhymes with "bunny") used a lot in historical drama TV shows. I think it's less offensive, perhaps because it's pretty much always talking about the actual body part instead of trying to belittle or vilify a person. I don't really take offense to the c-word itself, but I do understand how it comes off as more vicious than other words, since it's supposed to be a higher level insult where it is offensive due to some historical notion that any woman who's not submissive and subservient is less than human (while a man who is being mean or rude or inconsiderate is just being slightly inappropriate at that moment).

6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

The C-word on the other hand has done the opposite, it's gone from day-to-day language to being taboo slang. 

This is true. There was a Monty Python sketch about a character who could say the letter k but always pronounced c as b. So he would say Kings Bollege Bambridge, for example. Someone suggested that he think of c as k and then pronounce it. It worked! Kings Kollege Kambridge sounded just right. He wondered why he hadn't thought of this before and called himself a "Silly bunt".

I doubt they would get away with that today.

• Like 2

The only time I ever drop F-bombs is when I'm really angry and that doesn't happen often. 

My sister "curses like a sailor".  I think that phrase is funny because the sailors that I knew when I was in the military cursed a lot less than the Marines did. :lol: I never cursed much until I joined the military, at which point I did a lot more. I had to train it out of me. In general though, I hate censorship and think adults should be able to speak however they like unless it would be inappropriate for a particular event.

• Like 2
Skycaptain

@Spotastic, the British equivalent is "swear like a trooper" we don't really involve the navy in our swearing 

• Like 2

My boyfriend was in the Navy and he doesn't swear very much. I'd say our levels of cursing are relatively equal. 

• Like 1

I'm a very angry person and swear more than 20 "sailors" combined. 

• Like 1

My levels of cursing are inversely related to the idiocy of the statement being made by the other conversant. I live in the confluence of the Appalachians and the Bible Belt, so I curse a lot. 

Accurate.

• Like 1

Is the mid to late 30s the period when you just turn into a cynical asshole? I mean in the last 3 years or so ive just became so cynical that im almost unbearable to myself. Anyone else notice this? Am I alone in this?

I was more cynical in my 20s, I think, but I'm moving back in that direction.

I do think that a lot of cynicism comes on for most people in their 30's. My wife and I have both gotten more cynical in the last 5 years. We've also gone through a lot of life-changing shit that has certainly added to that.

I relate to that. I’ve become more cynical, sarcastic, impatient and the list goes further

there are days (like today) that everybody around me pisses me off and I’d rather be alone

hope it’s just a phase

xoxo

1 hour ago, mOonday04 said:

Am I the only 30yearold who still doesnt know what to do in life?

30 was actually a hard year for me. I went through A LOT of questioning my life choices and where I was going. Fortunately 31-33 have been largely positive so far with a lot of personal growth made, so there is hope!

• Like 1