Do you hate to be called babe/ sugar plum what ever?

FrozenCherry

I don't mind people using endearments with me.

In the UK it's fairly common place to address someone you don't know by an 'affecionate term' such as: Babe or Love (in my city).

I obviously don't like it if someone uses it in a patronising tone. That really annoys me!

I don't use endearments myself, apart from with my little sister. I don't really feel comfortable doing it for some reason :huh:

As long as a bloke doesn't call me 'Mate' I'm happy.

In the UK it's fairly common place to address someone you don't know by an 'affecionate term' such as: Babe or Love (in my city).

This is true - people in Birmingham greet strangers with "alright, bab", or in Yorkshire with "aye-up chuck", and this is considered perfectly normal. I do, however, find the whole saccharine 'sugar-honey-bunny-angel-babe' affair between couples quite revolting. (Though admittedly, my boyfriend does call me 'Turtledove', but that's got a nice Shakespearian ring to it, as well as being not so common these days :wub: ). I guess it really depends on the phrase and who's saying it.

Gho St Ory Qwan

I like chuck because my mothers friends used to call me that and I think it's cute and not too childish. ^_^ Some of my mates call me that too.

I'm fine with guys calling me mate, but that doesn't really happen.

I don't like most cute terms used for me but that's probably because I'm paranoid that everyone sees me as younger than I am and I associate such terms with younger people so I feel like it's their way of talking to a child. Also some people say I look like a baby as though it's a compliment (followed by sexual interest disgustingly enough) so I don't really like it from males who are interested in women. And it's kinda weird if it's from women.

Bab makes me think of kebab... I prefer chuck and cookie (what my mates used to call me in school XD ). I like to call people doll sometimes too, but I'm not sure why. X3

Violet_Rain

I think it's because of where I come from, but various members of my family call me 'chuck', 'duck', 'flower', 'sugar' and 'plum'. Nobody's ever called me babe, thankfully, because I would find that completely weird. If I were to be called any of those terms of endearment by someone I was in a relationship with, it would probably freak me out because I'm not used to anybody calling me that other than my family members.

Trolley Girl

UHG! I utterly hate being addressed with such terms; it is heavily annoying! :angry:

As a response, I just politely tell the speaker that I would gratefully appreciate it if they didn't address me as such, for it makes me uncomfortable, and that it would make me feel better to be addressed as "sir" if they don't know my name.

Pretty much every time, they understand and apologize, and then all is forgiven. :)

Ase of Spades

I've never been addressed as any of those (Or other cutesy pet names), but whenever I imagine someone calling me things like "baby/babe" or "pookie" or "darling", I cringe Especially at "pookie." I don't really mind other nickname type things my family calls me, though; my mom calls me things like pumpkin pie, girly girl and sweetie pie, and it doesn't bother me in the least even when she calls me that in front of other people. But if someone other than her called me any of those things, I'd be incredibly uncomfortable and would tell them to stop. :huh:

I hate baby, because it implies "child." I hate doll because dolls are playthings. I especially hate babydoll.

It's not very common here in Finland, at least not around where I'm living. I think only one of my friends has ever called me kulta (which is Finnish equivalent of honey), I wasn't too bothered by it, since it happened maybe once. I'm sure if it were to become more regular then I'd be pretty weirded out. :blink:

Few of my foreign friends have used them more often. I usually don't mind.

When waitresses at diners call me "sugar" or "darlin'" I don't take offense at all. It's nice and home-y, and strangely impersonal in a good way. In any other situation, though, it just feels awkward.

I don't mind waitresses calling me "hon," but I do mind when it's a creepster calling me "baby," "cupcake," "babydoll," etc.

I don't mind pet names but if my boyfriend or anyone I knew called me baby or babe I'd cringe.

Where I'm from it's definitely not common for strangers to call you pet names. Even in my family, that's just not something that we do. Actually when I think about it, I can only think of 2-3 people who every once in a while called me something along the lines of "dear". And all of those were female acquaintances.

Moving here to America however, I've become more used to this whole pet-name thing. It seems it's VERY common for people (cashiers, taxi drivers, dentist, waitress etc.) to call you "hon" and I still kinda go wtf? :blink: every time someone does that. I don't really dislike it tho', I just find it kinda odd, since to me you would only say something like that to someone you are REALLY close to.

My boyfriend and I call eachother 'babe'.. It's the only relationship I have had where that pet name has been used. I normally don't like pet names too much but he happens to have the same name as my dad so I am more comfortable calling him babe.. Heh. My dad has always called me Fish, ever since I was a wee babe so it's like a second name to me. Outside of close, personal relationships, I EFFING HATE IT! I answer phones for a living, so people feel the need to call me sweety, baby, babe, honey, doll, dollface, etc.. The only time I can tolerate it is when it's old women. Anyone else either sounds perverted or condescending. Bah.

In certain circumstances and in a certain tone there is no insult worse than being called 'sweetheart'. *Shudder*

I think I'd rather be called nobhead.

In certain circumstances and in a certain tone there is no insult worse than being called 'sweetheart'. *Shudder*

I think I'd rather be called nobhead.

I forgot sweetheart. I get that all the time.. And the tone is just dripping with "I'm sooooooo much better than you cos I have a fancy pants car and you should bow down to me!" :mad:

I used to work with a girl younger than me that used to call people 'dear'. Hated that to be honest, I always associated the word with being a heck of a lot older than I am.

I'd prefer not to be called by such 'terms of endearment', however my annoyance at such things depends wholly on the motive of the person using it. It's always far worse when the person doing it is a creeper.

Vampireseal

I grew up in the South, so being called "Hon" or "Honey" or "Sweetie" by strangers is commonplace. So long as its intended to be offensive and just a figure of speech I don't mind. Still, if some creepy person called me that or worse, "baby", I'd hate it.

The funny thing is, I call my workplace's cat "babe" sometimes, but I hate to hear a human called that. I really need to break out of that double standard, but then again, it's not like Furrs knows what the word baby or babe means.

For some odd reason, I only like cutsey terms/pet names from friends - from family/partners I hate all of them.

I constantly call everyone either "darling", "dear" or "sweetie", although I use "dear" the most - I call everyone that, even my parents, grandmother, etc. "Darling" I consider to be a bit more affectionate sometimes - I'll call my friends "darling" and I'll call my partner "darling", but I'll also call a partner "liebling", which is the German for darling and to me sounds really nice. "Sweetie" I tend to use for female friends.

*killer*queen*

Even before we began dating my boyfriend would use the occasional pet name. Always in a lighthearted moment. Most often babe. Now he just uses it more lol. I don't mind being called babe, baby. Oddly I find that I like it. I quickly discovered that while I don't hate it, I dislike baby doll for some reason.

*killer*queen*

But I do not like any little pet name being used by someone else. My boyfriend gets away with a lot actually, lol, because from him I don't mind it. Other people doing the same thing, big no. Even when we were just friends, he had permission. Couldn't explain it.

We really don't have a lot of this here in Finland, as far as I gather. My mother is the only person I can remember doing this to me, but even she usually does it as a part of phrases. ("Kuules nyt, kukkanen", er, "Listen here, little flower"?) She also used to call me majava, which is Finnish for beaver, when I was younger, because it has sounds similar to my first name.

I don't get out much, though, so I can well be missing general trends here. Also I appear quite androgynous, as far as I can tell, so people may just be reluctant to call me anything for fear of "giving the wrong impression". I honestly can't guess how I'd react if anyone randomly called me anything, because I just can't see that happening.

On second thought, my flatmate and I use the word toveri, which is Finnish for comrade, to refer to each other, I guess that could count as an endearment.

FrozenCherry

I had pet names and I like personal pet names which have given after people know each others better but Damnet I can get mad of babes and sugar plums :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

vrazda verlaine

I don't really care, unless someone is saying it in a rude way.

I don't use them in day to day life, but for some reason I start uncontrollably calling everyone "darling" after a few drinks, and the more drinks, the more preposterous the terms of endearment get, until words like sunshine and cupcake are slipping in... :lol:

CBC and I have playful names for each other that we use on a fairly regular basis. None of this baby, babe, sweetheart, honey crap though :P *bleh*

Our names are humourous. Some can really provide a loving and comforting feeling all in the word.

I think the french had it right when they made mon petit chou a loving term (my little cabbage) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I dislike when people that do not know me well try to give me a nickname or call me by any "term of affection." For example, I had a boyfriend and as soon as I said I would go out with him, my name changed to "baby" "sweetie" "sugar" "honey" and the like. Almost instantly. We broke up within a week. Now,if we had been dating and getting to know each other over a period of six months to a year and some cute (non standard) term of affection developed, I would wear it with a badge of honor because I'd know that it comes from someone that really knows me. Also, the nicknames that I do maintain are personalized to me specifically, which makes them even more special. I hope this answers your question :-D

Archived