Do you have a licence?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • Yes, but don't have a car
    • No
    • No, but trying to get it
    • Other (please specify)

This poll is closed to new votes

I voted "other", because I'm not sure yet and I know I don't want a driver's license for a car. Eeeeww, I hate cars. I might try out for a scooter or motorbike, but that's it.

I don't see why people need cars when they use it once a week on their own. :?

I don't, I am too young. I will try to get one when I am older. Next year perhaps.

mylittlevoices
I just wanted to know if I’m the only one who doesn’t have a driver’s licence and doesn’t want one either.

I didn't want to learn how to drive, I was perfectly content with my parents driving me around everywhere. But that was the reaon I ended up learning. I coach gymnastics in a club 20 minutes away via car, and at that point i was coaching about 4 times a week. So I had no choice in the matter, I was going to learn how to drive even if my parents had to do everything for me, and they did.

I got my provisional liscence for my birthday, they paid for and organised driving lessons, and they bought me a car to share with my Dad. I passed first time and now nearly three years later I quite enjoy driving. I have been known to go out on random drives for no reason and I want to learn how to drive a minibus when I turn 21.

I've had a few near misses in the car, damn other drivers, but I havent had a proper accident yet *touch wood*. The closest I've come to it is not paying attention to where i was going in a multi-story car park and clipping the barrier (only a little scratch) :oops:

I have a drivers licence, but I don't own a car. It's a 20-minute walk to work. I will occasionally borrow my mother's car to run errands if I need to, but that's not terribly often.

i have a drivers licence, but it took me so many panic attacks to get it. I was soo scared of the driving test, just the idea of the examinator in the back watching me in the mirror, I freaked out and failed 5 times. The 6th time I finally got my licence.

I have a car too, my workplace can't be reached by public transportation at the hours I have to be there.

I don't have a licence nor want one either. The only time I've consciously sat on the driver's seat and attempted to drive under my dad's instructions, it only made my decision of not wanting one stronger.

Dad: "You're getting all the bumps in the road!"

Me: "There's ONLY bumps in the road!! what do you expect?!"

I'd be a danger by the wheel. :roll: I'm too much of an hysterical lady to drive safely.

As for how I get around... I'm getting a bike next week, I skate when it's possible, and I either walk, take a bus, or mostly by train. Depending where I go to, it can take up to 1.30-2 hours at most to go downtown.

I'm only considering getting a licence now because well, you just sort of need one here, wether you like it or not.

• 1 month later...
I just wanted to know if I’m the only one who doesn’t have a driver’s licence and doesn’t want one either. I’ve had a lot of discussions with my dad about it (actually it’s usually just him saying “You should get your licence” and me mumbling, “but I don’t want to” like a little kid; since he works for GM it does seem a little strange for me not to want to drive). I just don’t fancy the idea of being in control of such a large and potentially lethal weapon.

In Ontario, we have “graduated licencing”, so you have to go through a series of steps before you get your full licence. It takes about 2 years, generally. This system came into effect in March 1994, two months after I turned 16, so I could have potentially gotten my licence very quickly before. Many of my friends thought I was nuts for not wanting to.

Ditto for me. I don't have a liscence and don't want one. I don't like the concept of vehicles at all. Much to hazardous to everyone in the area, let alone the environment. I definately don't want to be in control of one. Frankly, I'd probably be scared senseless.

oh please

I'm taking the theory test on thursday.

I've been tormenting myself about this thing for months.

I have nightmares at night

that I fail

or that I collide into a giant traffic sign.

pray for me :wink:

I just wanted to know if I’m the only one who doesn’t have a driver’s licence and doesn’t want one either. I’ve had a lot of discussions with my dad about it (actually it’s usually just him saying “You should get your licence” and me mumbling, “but I don’t want to” like a little kid; since he works for GM it does seem a little strange for me not to want to drive). I just don’t fancy the idea of being in control of such a large and potentially lethal weapon.

I also have never wanted to learn to drive for the same reasons. At times I fell like it would be great if I could just go driving somewhere out of boredom, but really I'd rather not, I generally can get a rid anywhere I want and I'm fine with leaving it that way for as long as possible. I live in British Columbia, so I'm not sure if the driving laws are identical with Ontario... but the with the whole N and L stickers in cars, and that you can't dive on your own without another licensed driver in the car for a long peroid of time is also a real turn off from the idea of driving.

• 3 months later...

After much nagging from my parents and older sister, I went and took the test to get my permit. Aced the written test. Never went back to get my license. It's been... three, four years now? I've never driven, and I have no desire to start.

I prefer to walk or ride my bike, anyways.

I totalled my mom's car two days after I got my permit. Interestingly my same aged cousin totalled his mom's car two days after he got his permit, and we both had to jump through hoops to get the doctors to sign off for our permits (I had epilepsy and the regular doctor didn't want a sign on that, his one eye isn't connect to his brain and his regular doctor didn't want to sign off on his vision). Needless to say my kids will not be inside a car the second day they have their permit.

Around here it pretty much unheard of to not have a license. I know that out of the 69 kids I graduated with only one didn't have a license. And everybody called him crazy for not going out and getting one once he was 18 and no longer had to abide by his parents decision. But then the public transportation is such that if you want to take a bus somewhere you have to let the bus company know 24 hours in advance and they might pick you up from your house 2 hours early or leave you waiting 2 hours for their return. So it really isn't practical to use public transportation on a regular basis.

• 3 weeks later...
Nightengale

Yes but I was in college when I got it (after many years of being teased for not having/wanting one) and I hate driving and am not great at it. I'm safe enough, but I have no sense of direction. I was worried I would mix up the gas and brake pedals, and I would wake up with nightmares I'd been trying to drive in a parking lot, done that, and end up with a telephone pole sticking out of the car. Finally my grandmother asked me why I could drive the tractor, but not the car, and I explained the tractor had the Fast and Slow labeled with a rabbit and turtle, and there was only one pedal. She got two pieces of paper, wrote "Gas" on one and "Brake" on the other with arrows, taped them to the dash, and I started to learn to drive that afternoon.

I used to drive 15-passenger vans full of teenagers all over the place when I was teaching. Driving was so-so, parking was a nightmare. Now I live in a big city and I won't drive here or on the nearby superhighways at night, which is the same thing as "I don't drive."

I don't have mine. Don't want it. I'll be turning eighteen in two weeks, which means that I've been eligible to get one for two years. That's two years worth of pestering from my dad and my brother, both of whom are convinced that a life without a car is no life at all.

I am terrified that I will once again be forced behind a wheel...every time I've done that in the past, I would get these horrible nightmares. I'd be driving down a street and suddenly I would speed up without explanation, without me pressing the accelerator. The brakes wouldn't work, the engine wouldn't shut off, nothing. And I'd be blazing through every crowded traffic intersection going at least a hundred miles per hour. In every single dream like this, there would always be a cop car not too far away. And they would never pursue me. They would never do their job and get me off that road. I'd wake up absolutely terrified.

...I really, really don't trust myself on the road.

The Archangel

I love to drive! I could drive anyway, any time, any car and I would be happy. One of my only motivations for college is to someday have an amazing car and drive it ordinary places like the grocery store for milk and bread.

Bah, no. Proud pedestrian here. I have my permit but only about three hours of driving experience thus far. I won't be getting mine until the fall or so when I will actually have a car (my parents have been saving an old car of theirs for me for years, but currently it's at my Mom's house in another state and I'm moving there soon).

I never wanted to learn how to drive. I'm not afraid of driving or other drivers, nor do I find driving difficult (thus far..), it's just that I think it's overrated and too expensive. I ride the bus to school because my school is five or six miles away from home, but otherwise everything I need (post office, library, grocery store, video rental store, etc.) is right within convenient walking distance of my house and so I walk wherever I need to go. My friends, who all have their licenses and their own cars, think I'm absolutely CRAZY for even walking a block on my own two feet. "Why don't you just get your license? You even HAVE a car, why don't you want to drive it?" Whenever they drive by and see me walking two miles to return my books, they always try to offer me rides, and say that they "feel bad" that I should have to walk all that way. They just can't understand that I actually enjoy walking and getting the exercise, and prefer it a lot to having to spend money on gasoline to get me to the same place I could go to for free, just to save some extra time.

Unfortunately yes. I do not mind driving, but I hate cars since they cost so much money to maintain and gas is not getting any cheaper. That is why I put off getting my driver's license until I was 19 since there really was no real reason for me to get it.

Wow. There really are a lot of asexuals who don't drive. I find that interesting, being 23 and not having a license (or wanting one), even though I grew up in a rural area where it's fully expected of everyone. Although I can kind of see how sex and driving might be related.

I doubt that it would be any higher than the general population. Gasoline prices are causing a lot of people to rethink their means of transportation.

Although I can kind of see how sex and driving might be related.

I am an asexual who doesn't drive, but I don't see the correlation. Would you explain? I was amazed be how many people here don't drive, since even my friends in high school who didn't want to drive initially, all have their licenses now. Everyone I know drives.

Yes, I drive, have driven for years, own a pick-up truck, a car, a motorcycle and a tractor. The right tool for the right job, you know. The only thing I hate about driving is automatic transmissons so I've never owned one.

I am an asexual who doesn't drive, but I don't see the correlation. Would you explain? I was amazed be how many people here don't drive, since even my friends in high school who didn't want to drive initially, all have their licenses now. Everyone I know drives.

I guess I'm not sure how I mean. It just seems to me that both are about power in some respect. At least how some people are, vehicles are treated like a sort of sexual object, and like they're a person ("isn't she a beaut?") But then, most people just kind of drive to get around. It does make sense to me on some level, but I can't think why. I won't say I can't see myself driving, but on the other hand maybe I wouldn't feel comfortable wielding so much power? Sorry, I really don't know how to put it.

Most definately

Class B CDL with Passenger Endorsement. :D

• 1 month later...

I don't, i don't think i'll ever get one... Most of my friends laught at this and say that i'll pass through that and will want a car, bt i don't think... i'm just fine with public transport. And if a ever have to drive, i don't think it is going to be very well... i'll probably crash. I'm too distracted! :lol:

I have mine, but only because my mother [more or less] made me get it.

I didn't really want to learn to drive, it scared me! But I have to say that it has been very useful... especially because the public transit system here blows.

Just curious, does anyone know what percentage of the population as a hole has a drivers license? All of my friends can drive except me, but there are a lot of people in this pole who don't drive. Just wondering is I live in a vacuum. :)

I don't have a proper license. I didn't see the point in learning how to drive when I was 17/18 as I didn't have a car I could drive once I passed and my parents drive a mercedes which I wouldn't be allowed to drive in my wildest dreams. I got my provisional though and had lessons at their insistence that it would "come in handy" one day but after over a year of weekly lessons and 2 failed exams it turns out I'm crap at driving anyway. I live in London now anyway so the need to drive is pratically non-existent.

Having a provisional license is useful for ID though :wink:

I was very busy with high school, so I didn't get my driver's permit and licence for a year or two until after I could have gotten them . . . about 15.5 years old for the permit and 16.5 years for the licence. I got my licence when I was about 17 or 18.

I don't have a car of my own (no income = no big expenses), but I make do borrowing my parents' cars if I need to go somewhere for the time being.

• 7 months later...

Where I live, we've got graduated licensing. First we get our Learner's (L) license, which allows us to drive with an adult in the car with us. Then we get our New Driver (N) license, which allows us to drive on our own, but only take one passenger (it's very very annoying). Then we get our full license. I've still just got my N, but I've had it long enough to take the test to get rid of it... I really should be doing that soon...

I've been a driver for about 14 months now. I don't technically own a car, but I use my sister's car as though it were mine.

Archived