Do you have a licence?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • Yes, but don't have a car
    • No
    • No, but trying to get it
    • Other (please specify)

This poll is closed to new votes

I just wanted to know if I’m the only one who doesn’t have a driver’s licence and doesn’t want one either. I’ve had a lot of discussions with my dad about it (actually it’s usually just him saying “You should get your licence” and me mumbling, “but I don’t want to” like a little kid; since he works for GM it does seem a little strange for me not to want to drive). I just don’t fancy the idea of being in control of such a large and potentially lethal weapon.

In Ontario, we have “graduated licencing”, so you have to go through a series of steps before you get your full licence. It takes about 2 years, generally. This system came into effect in March 1994, two months after I turned 16, so I could have potentially gotten my licence very quickly before. Many of my friends thought I was nuts for not wanting to. Almost 11 years later, I still don’t want to. The only reason I would get the licence is so I would have a piece of ID that has my picture and signature, and it’s too much of a hassle to go through just for that.

So, am I alone? Do you have any funny anecdotes about driving (or scary)? If you don’t have a car, how do you get around, and how long does it take you? I love to walk, but it takes 30 minutes to get to the grocery store. I also take transit, and in the spring, I’d like to get a bike. I haven’t owned a bicycle for . . . I don’t know how long.

I'm too young! Year and four months before I'm 17... I'm terrified really. I mean ME controlling a lump of speeding metal? With insufficient brakes? Eeeek! I did karting once (fun) and I actually hit the instructor. :oops: Ah well. I will drive eventually, I just need confidence and more money. I'll never have a particularly nice car :D

Nope, and I don't want one either. I also don't like the idea of being in control of something that could kill. Basically, I don't trust myself. When I'm moving, particually in cars, I become very relaxed and my mind starts drifting. I also very unobservant.

I'll probably learn one day just because I'll have to. (and from my personality, I'll probably enjoy it in a way, although I'd still not like the idea, if that makes sense)

I like walking but I hate being wet and cold, and I often don't feel safe. I use buses and trains a lot, usually I'm going somewhere with my parents so they drive me.

Public transport does get to me sometimes, and I want the independance that comes with driving, but I don't want to drive. At the moment, I waste about two hours a day travelling including waits. For comparision, probably be 30 minutes in total by car.

The reasons I didn't get a licence when I turned 17:

-right in the middle of my a-levels, why would I want to add another two tests to the pressure

-the money. Lessons are expensive. You have to buy a car, or have a family member who's willing to risk their's. Insurance often costs as much, if not more, than the car. And then you have to keep filling the thing up with petrol (you know what i mean), which is not cheap. And I didn't have a job.

-I didn't need to go anywhere, so what was the point

-I think i'd be a danger.

-personally, I think 17 is too young for most people and it should be a lot harder to get a licence

My brother doesn't want to drive either.

Annoying thing...I got my (full) license in the state of Washington at 16. Moved the next summer, to New Jersey, and had to wait around until I turned 17 to get my license there. Luckily, I had nowhere to go, and it was only about a month, month and a half.

I don't have one, and I don't really want to get one.

I've managed fine so far without being able to drive. I don't see why I can't continue to do that in the future.

I'm glad not to be risking adding to the high death & injury toll caused by motor vehicles.

And I'm pleased not to be contributing to the destruction of the environment, both locally and globally.

And I dislike the car culture invading our cities... it would be hypocritical of me to complain about this and also partake in it.

Not having a car also means I save lots of money - on fuel, insurance, repairs, renting a garage, parking, etc...

Given all these, I don't see what would be the point of me learning. If I learnt now, I'd probably have forgotten how to drive by some vague potential time in the future when I might eventually want to own a car.

Living near the centre of a European city at least means there's really no need to drive.

There are at least five supermarkets within about 10 mintues walk, and plenty more shops and other services easily accessible by public transport. It takes 45 minutes to get to work, but I do get the opportunity to read a book on the train there.

I have a bike... but cycling in Brx is a nightmare (because of the drivers, of course!) so I mainly use it to go out in to the countryside at weekends, and not as a means of transport.

I have my license but don't have a car anymore. That's ok because I never liked driveing anyway. I always worry about getting in wrecks or something else equally horrible. Generally, driving makes me really nervous.

I wish my city had a better transportation system than the busses they have currently. They're never on time, very over crowded, have creapy passengers, are too expensive to ride daily for multiple trips (at peak fare time), and generally suck.

If only there was another way.

I got my first license at 17 and have been driving ever since. At 20 I got a chauffeur's license and spent the next few years as a taxi driver. At one point I wanted to be a truck driver, but I have put that idea on indefinite hold.

I have never lived in a place with adequate public transit. Even if I did, I would STILL have to own and operate a vehicle just to keep this place functioning.

(Imagine trying to get on the bus with several hundred pounds of feed as well as a few bales of pine shavings or straw! Oh, and the sheets of plywood and other lumber needed for repairing the pigeon lofts ... :roll: )

I admit, I can't wait for the day when vehicles are no longer powered by petroluem. I don't mind a loss of acceleration, power, or potential range. All I need is reliable transportation for me plus cargo ... point "A" to point "B" ... I'm not trying to impress anybody. A slow-pokey electric-powered truck would be fine with me.

I just have to wait for them to become popular enough so that I can get a functional used one.

-Greybird

I have my license but don't have a car anymore. That's ok because I never liked driveing anyway. I always worry about getting in wrecks or something else equally horrible. Generally, driving makes me really nervous.

I wish my city had a better transportation system than the busses they have currently. They're never on time, very over crowded, have creapy passengers, are too expensive to ride daily for multiple trips (at peak fare time), and generally suck.

If only there was another way.

I feel the exact same way. I, too, used to have a car before it broke down on me and now I cannot fix it (college). I still like the idea of being able to come and go to whatever place whenver I want though.

My dad wants me to get a license since my little brother's working on getting his, but I really don't want to get one. I'm not only afraid of driving here because people drive like bats out of hell here, but because I myself would be a hazard behind the wheel. I have extremely focused vision, almost to the point of being tunnel vision, so anything could blindside me at any moment. I have a very poor since of space too, so I'd probably end up banging into people's cars a few times just to park. So for now, I'm just sticking to riding my bike, and so far everything has been hunky-dory with it. :D

Yes, had one ever since I was seventeen. That's going back a bit. I think everyone should learn to drive, it's part of one's education, and can come in handy. Not much pleasure in driving these days now though.

The Evil Cashew

Graduating LIscensing sucks! SUCH a waste of money. god i hated it. * i jstu got my G (aka full liscense for you non-ontarians) like a couple of months ago.

Anyways. just to say, i have a licence and a car. I hate driving with a passion but had to get both so i could go to university.

Cars and a liscences are huge wastes of money and extra expenses if you don't need one.

~Cashew

[sarcasm]You'll change when you find the right car. Don't worry, you'll grow out of it. You're too young to know you don't like driving for sure. You really do like driving, and the only reason you don't have your licence is because your not good enough.[/sarcasm]

;)

I feel the exact same way. I, too, used to have a car before it broke down on me and now I cannot fix it (college). I still like the idea of being able to come and go to whatever place whenver I want though.

I don't have a car at the moment because of high insurance costs. Which was further complicated by the costs of school. So, choosing between school or my car, school won. *shrugs* Oh well.

Yeah, it was wonderfully nice to be able to come and go as I pleased. (Not that I was going places all the time either.) That's the only thing I miss.

ArgentoX and LonePiper, :lol: I guess I'm a repressed biker who's in denial of my love of driving.

I do not have a driver's licence because I have a fear of driving.

Same here, my anxiety flares up big time whenever I try to drive. The poor design and conditions of the country roads around here doesn't help either.

I do have my permit, but I doubt I'll ever get my lisence.

(Also, I'm not big on cars in general and thier detrimental environment effects, etc, so I don't feel too horrible about not driving)

I just wanted to know if I’m the only one who doesn’t have a driver’s licence and doesn’t want one either.

You aren't the only one. I'm not really interested in getting a drivers license Because I like catching public transport. You meet and see lots of interesting people, you can look at the scenery. Its' great. So, I'm not really interested in a drivers license yet. Maybe as I start going out more at night, but that won't be for a while yet.

I have my licence. I've had it nearly a year, and had a driving permit for two years before that.

More or less, where I live, I have to have my licence and a car if I expect to get anywhere. I don't know how the public transportation is here, but I know that in my area there is next to nothing available. (Damn rich people and their 2-kid families with SUVs.)

I have HORRIBLE depth perception. The first time I ever drove I ran into a chain-link fence, while I was turning a corner, because I couldn't tell how far away it was. (I was driving around in a parking lot.)

Since then, I haven't hit anything or anyone but I've had to be a little more cautious with my driving than other drivers.

I can drive a big SUV (my mum has a Ford Expedition) but I prefer a car (i.e. Toyota Camry). I don't like my car because it is the same size as my brother's car (Ford Explorer) but it's not a SUV. -_-

If I could, once I'm out of school, I wouldn't drive any more. I like driving but it's not very economical.

yes I do but my best friend doesn't and doesn't want to. (then again, with me around she doesn't really have to worry about it!) :roll:

[sarcasm]Oh yeah but you haven't driven MY car! Oh, I can get you a car, it's a really nice car and everyone loves it, how about I bring it to you Friday and you can try it out?[/sarcasm]

But, really...what is it about everyone telling people "you have to get a license?" I even get told that by customers over the phone. they go on and on and on and finally I just politely say "Actually, I'm not able bodied enough to drive a car"...and the silence is deafening.

endofthespiral

I have a license but no car. When I lived in Washington I had no need for a car. I could take the bus anywhere I needed to go, or at least within a few blocks. But now in Colorado, I can't do that. The busses don't go anywhere, the city I live in is tiny. The busses don't even interconnect. You can't leave the city on a bus except between greeley and evans. This isn't saying much considering they are literally across a street from eachother. But yeah I need a car now.

I tried at getting one, but found out quickly that being a spazzy person and driving a car is a very bad combination. I'm glad I didn't take the test, I probably would've crashed from dealing with the stress.

No. I hate driving and I'm terrible at it. Besides, I live in a big city with several options for public transportation, so why clutter up Dublin's already cluttered streets even more? My husband has a bicycle that I'm a jealous of.

I got my license at 17, and hardly ever drove after I got it. Now I'm 22, haven't driven in 5 years, have absolutely no clue what I'm supposed to do anymore if I'm behind the wheel, but... I'm legally allowed to drive :D

VivreEstEsperer

I'm 20 and I don't have mine.

Nice to see that others don't as well.

It's hard cus I live in a suburb and you can't get anywhere without driving. So I either don't get anywhere or beg and grovel enough so my parents will take me. Not a particularly good arrangement.

At school I can walk into town at least.

I don't really WANT to live in a city, which is what I'd have to do if I couldn't drive; but it's either learn to drive or live in a city I guess.

I'm scared as well.

Juni, didnt know you dont have one either. guess portland's not a bad city to live in without one - you prob. live within walking distance of what you need... do you just walk to places in portland? and there are metro buses too i guess.

my SAT instructor who lived in portland didnt have one..she was like 23...that made an impression on me cus i was like, finally someone else who doesnt have one.

Kate

Archived