Workshop in Warwick on Friday

michaeld

I don't suppose this post will reach anyone in range who isn't already going but just in case: nosos and I are giving another workshop tomorrow in Warwick University, Coventry at 1pm, H1.02 Humanities. It's kind of a follow-on from the workshop we gave last term; this is supposed to be more of an "Asexuality 102" event. (Gah, these American naming conventions are infectious!)

Anyone welcome!

EDIT: incidentally we shall try and record this, and make a podcast out of it, all being well.

mylittlehazmat

I hate hearing about all this awesome ace stuff. Cuz then I'm like, I WENT TO WARWICK! ... last summer. I was within this many miles of you! and never knew and that makes me want to cry in a corner. A CORNER.

Hope it goes well :)

Thanks! I think it went all right. Like last time we got a lot of interesting questions at the end.

I hate hearing about all this awesome ace stuff. Cuz then I'm like, I WENT TO WARWICK! ... last summer. I was within this many miles of you! and never knew and that makes me want to cry in a corner. A CORNER.

Awww. Actually next time you're in the UK - doesn't matter where - you should make post in Meetup Mart, and I'm sure people would be delighted to meet up with you. The UK is a good place to arrange meetups, thanks to its size.

But yeah, Warwick Uni is a very cool place as far as asexuality goes. (Note that Warwick town is in a slightly different place but it's not far away.) We are one of the very few Pride societies whose acronym - LGBTUA - includes an A-for-asexual (rather than for "allies").

mylittlehazmat

I would love to do that. ... how to get back to England, lol. (so broke) x3 I'd be terrified to go by myself, have to drive on the LEFT HAND SIDE all by my lonesome. D: *traumatized*

I would love to do that. ... how to get back to England, lol. (so broke) x3 I'd be terrified to go by myself, have to drive on the LEFT HAND SIDE all by my lonesome. D: *traumatized*

Oh I can sympathise with that - I can't drive on the left hand side of the road at all. (Neither the right hand side of course, but what the hey....)

mylittlehazmat

Well, the two times I've been my dad drove us around, and that was scary enough as it is, my mom warning him, "You're running off the road!" and such ... fun ... English people are such good drivers, and you have to be. With fecking towns like Oxford. xD

I can't drive on the right side either, but I'm getting my license this spring, so we shall ... see. D:

Well, the two times I've been my dad drove us around, and that was scary enough as it is, my mom warning him, "You're running off the road!" and such ... fun ... English people are such good drivers, and you have to be. With fecking towns like Oxford. xD

I can't drive on the right side either, but I'm getting my license this spring, so we shall ... see. D:

Good luck with that. However if you ever make it back to the UK, there's no real reason you should have to drive, when you're here. It's easy enough to get around by train and bus. It's what I've been doing in my 18 years of living here anyway.

mylittlehazmat

*nodnod* I suppose. I did love taking the London underground. *snugs it* And it's actually not expensive at all to fly to England, it's just expensive to live there. Haaa. ;_;

EDIT: Oh yea. And I'll stop hijacking your thread. LOL. *hands back*

Bountiful Harvest

But yeah, Warwick Uni is a very cool place as far as asexuality goes. (Note that Warwick town is in a slightly different place but it's not far away.) We are one of the very few Pride societies whose acronym - LGBTUA - includes an A-for-asexual (rather than for "allies").

You are kidding?! I was *this* close to doing my Law degree at Warwick University! I ended up going to De Montfort instead, don't think our LGBT has any consideration for asexuals :( Then again the gay community is highly sexualised so it's probably for the best. Still I would love to meet another ace in-the-flesh, I envy you :lol:

I ended up going to De Montfort instead, don't think our LGBT has any consideration for asexuals :( Then again the gay community is highly sexualised so it's probably for the best.

One of the points I made in the workshop, iirc, was that I don't know if the stereotype that the LGBT community is highly sexualized is true or not, but even if it is I don't care!

Still I would love to meet another ace in-the-flesh, I envy you :lol:

You should check out Meetup Mart. I don't know what the situation is in Leicester, but I'm sure there are some AVENites in your vicinity.

Bountiful Harvest

I ended up going to De Montfort instead, don't think our LGBT has any consideration for asexuals :( Then again the gay community is highly sexualised so it's probably for the best.

One of the points I made in the workshop, iirc, was that I don't know if the stereotype that the LGBT community is highly sexualized is true or not, but even if it is I don't care!

Still I would love to meet another ace in-the-flesh, I envy you :lol:

You should check out Meetup Mart. I don't know what the situation is in Leicester, but I'm sure there are some AVENites in your vicinity.

From what I heard from friends who are involved in LGBT stuff it kinda is, then again those friends have a tendency to over-dramatise things :lol: it's not that I'm repulsed by sexualisation it's just that I kinda feel out of the circle when things go down that path. The same when guys start talking about football, it's just not my bag.

I'll check out Meetup Mart though, I will be living in Leicester in a couple of months so I'll do it nearer the time. Thanks :)

You are kidding?! I was *this* close to doing my Law degree at Warwick University! I ended up going to De Montfort instead, don't think our LGBT has any consideration for asexuals :( Then again the gay community is highly sexualised so it's probably for the best. Still I would love to meet another ace in-the-flesh, I envy you :lol:

Oh wow, you go (are going to go to) De Montfort?! I go to Leicester uni and when I initially tried to join their LGBT to referred me to DMU since Leicester uni at the time didn't recognize asexuals (I've joined since as they now say they accept "anyone").

There is actually an Avenite who goes to DMU currently :) She's really nice, do let us know once you get here!

• 2 months later...
Ace Of <3 s

I am hopefully going to Warwick Uni!! I can't wait!! Do you know whether there are many asexuals at Warwick Uni cos of the LGBTA group?

Hopefully I'll see you then :). I'm the current asexual rep for Warwick Pride. We don't have that many asexuals in terms of numbers, but I'm trying to make sure we get lots of education and visibility out there. Will you be (hopefully) joining in September?

Ace Of <3 s

Hopefully I'll see you then :). I'm the current asexual rep for Warwick Pride. We don't have that many asexuals in terms of numbers, but I'm trying to make sure we get lots of education and visibility out there. Will you be (hopefully) joining in September?

Oh! I didn't realise!! :D Hi! Yeah, I really really really want to get into Warwick Uni and it looks like I will get the grades so I am pretty sure I will be there :) I haven't come out to anyone apart from two people (one of them claimed I cannot be/making it up etc :/) so I am a bit unsure about joining, but at the same time it would be nice to actually meet someone who understands! It makes me feel better about it getting to talk to you though! In a way, although its truly who I am, I sorta feel like I am reducing my chances of meeting someone to be with romantically if I say to everyone I am asexual. How anonymous can it be? :P

Oh! I didn't realise!! :D Hi! Yeah, I really really really want to get into Warwick Uni and it looks like I will get the grades so I am pretty sure I will be there :)

Cool. I hope to see you there too. Warwick is a very cool place. I am no longer officially there - I'm now at Birmingham uni - but I still live nearby Warwick uni.

Ace Of <3 s

Oh! I didn't realise!! :D Hi! Yeah, I really really really want to get into Warwick Uni and it looks like I will get the grades so I am pretty sure I will be there :)

Cool. I hope to see you there too. Warwick is a very cool place. I am no longer officially there - I'm now at Birmingham uni - but I still live nearby Warwick uni.

Ah so are you still part of the pride group?

Officially yes, I believe I'm still a member (of the LGBTUA group - not the university). In fact I'm going to check this when I get home, and renew my membership for another year if necessary.

Unfortunately I have not been involved anything like as much recently, due to various constraints, but I hope to start up again soon - especially for Pride week next academic year (ask Yolly for the date if you like!) and Asexual Awareness Week 2011 (23-29 October).

So yeah, hopefully we'll all meet in October. :D I can also introduce you to the asexuals at the nearby Birmingham uni (where I work) if you like.

Ace Of <3 s

Officially yes, I believe I'm still a member (of the LGBTUA group - not the university). In fact I'm going to check this when I get home, and renew my membership for another year if necessary.

Unfortunately I have not been involved anything like as much recently, due to various constraints, but I hope to start up again soon - especially for Pride week next academic year (ask Yolly for the date if you like!) and Asexual Awareness Week 2011 (23-29 October).

So yeah, hopefully we'll all meet in October. :D I can also introduce you to the asexuals at the nearby Birmingham uni (where I work) if you like.

Hopefully you are still a member!! Ahaha

Thats sound good, if a bit daunting (I have traits of Aspergers) :P I really would like to make more friends though especially Asexuals so I will give it a go :)

If I do get my grades is it alright if I ask you more questions about it? x

Ace of <3's: Don't worry about anonymity, in Pride we take this very seriously, you won't be outed by us so no one you don't want to know will find out. And all the asexual socials are run so that only asexuals attend. Feel free to contact me by PM any time: it's my job after all! Also don't worry that you'll be the only "straight" person in Pride, there is Michael (obviously) and another student.

michael: Pride membership is done per academic year, if you don't get weekly emails at the moment then you probably aren't; but if you buy membership now you'll have to buy next year's membership in October anyway, so maybe wait until then.

I second Yolly. Respecting people's privacy is of the utmost importance at the LGBTUA I know (and I have no reason to think it's changed). And there's no reason to be daunted by the events, such as Pride week or AAW. You can get involved in as much or as little as you like! No-one is going to put you on the spot.

And yes, ask all the questions you want!

Yolly - thanks for the info. That sounds sensible I guess, in that case. I think I was confused by the fact I still have access to the private forums, but like you mentioned elsewhere, I guess an actual current membership in the society is not required for that.

Ace Of <3 s

Ace of <3's: Don't worry about anonymity, in Pride we take this very seriously, you won't be outed by us so no one you don't want to know will find out. And all the asexual socials are run so that only asexuals attend. Feel free to contact me by PM any time: it's my job after all! Also don't worry that you'll be the only "straight" person in Pride, there is Michael (obviously) and another student.

michael: Pride membership is done per academic year, if you don't get weekly emails at the moment then you probably aren't; but if you buy membership now you'll have to buy next year's membership in October anyway, so maybe wait until then.

That sounds great :) I will probably contact you if I get a place to ask more about signing up etc etc :) are there any homoromantic (etc) asexuals as well though? :P

Ace Of <3 s

I second Yolly. Respecting people's privacy is of the utmost importance at the LGBTUA I know (and I have no reason to think it's changed). And there's no reason to be daunted by the events, such as Pride week or AAW. You can get involved in as much or as little as you like! No-one is going to put you on the spot.

And yes, ask all the questions you want!

Yolly - thanks for the info. That sounds sensible I guess, in that case. I think I was confused by the fact I still have access to the private forums, but like you mentioned elsewhere, I guess an actual current membership in the society is not required for that.

I think I will probably get more involved as I get used to uni in general :) I am working on feeling more confident now anyway and have mentioned a bit more to people about my asexuality :P

No problem :). And yes, there is me (demisexual lesbian) and a couple of others. Don't worry about having to get involved straight away; starting uni is busy! I didn't come out to anyone as demi until term 2 and now I'm asexual rep and planning events for next year.

Good luck with your exams! What will you be studying?

Ace Of <3 s

No problem :). And yes, there is me (demisexual lesbian) and a couple of others. Don't worry about having to get involved straight away; starting uni is busy! I didn't come out to anyone as demi until term 2 and now I'm asexual rep and planning events for next year.

Good luck with your exams! What will you be studying?

Hopefully I will be studying biochemistry :) x