Asexuality on Her Campus

Siggy

I emailed back all these answers to questions for this person & never heard back. I felt used. I spent time on this and put thought into typing out answers in essay form to be helpful for this person's "research." And I'm sure other people did, too. Now I feel this person was dishonest in doing things this way and used some of us who responded to help out.

Lord Happy Toast

An important thing to keep in mind about hater quotes in media articles is that the people quoted may be as badly misreprested as much else in the article is. I hear that if you get misquoted, you can ask them to correct it, but a lot of times I'm going to guess that people being misquoted aren't going to object unless they're really badly misquoted. Having been misquoted in print before, I know take all expert quotes in media articles with a grain of salt.

"but we can choose to act on asexuality."

What on earth does that mean? I hope that's a misquote, because that simply makes no sense, even when taken in context. The difficulty with defining asexuality as a sexual orientation is that we don't do anything. How can you "act" on not doing anything?

Edit: OMG, she quoted me!

I found the article kind of annoying at parts. I mean, what did the author mean that asexuality is just a "trendy label" and not a diagnosis that will be with you forever? Thats not true. If your'e really ace, it is just another one of your characteristics. And dont tell me this was the same person who was asking for info for research a few weeks back, because thats just called twisting our words.

sinisterporpoise

We need to stop paying attention to these types of articles. Reporting on the existence of Asexuals just is not news any more.

And misquoting is common, unfortunately. Reporters are, after all, only human.

I left a long reply to that blog, hopefully it will be approved

if you want to read what I said though I can post it here

EDIT:my comment is approved and published

• 6 months later...

From what little I skimmed

"The literal definition of asexuality it means ‘without sexuality’, but it is not possible to be without sexuality. We are all sexual beings from the day we’re born until we die"

....What? Who says? What evidence do they have to say that so matter-o-factly? I don't even know how should be looking at that.

Even so, many asexual people reject the notion that asexuality is just a low rung on the sex drive totem pole.

Pretty obvious that we reject it, since it's false.

Helen's mother outing her daughter that way is pretty sad. Her story is rather touching and the fact she tried sex and still didn't want it proves asexuals aren't repressed people or anything. Most of the interesting stuff is out from the first page and I don't like the ending either...

Bothersome.

The problem is they don't accept there can be something as asexuality. Any way I do see myself as a sexual being despite being asexual. The 'a' is a prefix, just like 'hetero', 'homo' and 'bi' are also prefixes.

It's not ok though to see upon asexuality as a trend. You are not asexual, bisexual or gay because it's fashionable. You just are what you are.

Edited by saggitarius