• Yes, and the world has made me pay
    • Yes, but I've had no problems because of it
    • Yes
    • Maybe
    • Not particularly, we're all different
    • No, I'm the same
    • Other

The A Life Team

Being different is probably the worst thing you can be in this world, and you'll never be forgiven for being that. Being asexual is rather different, so the panel discusses how the world has made them pay.

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

Being different is the worst thing you can be in this world? Depends on your point of view, I suppose. I'm eager to point out that while being different practically guarantees that you stand out, whether being eye catching is a good or bad thing depends on the context.

For me, most of the time it has only been positive though.

For me, most of the time it has only been positive though.

You´re so happy person. I´ve always had only problems with being different. I don´t know if really the society in the Czech republic is so intolerant, or if I have met only so many intolerant people. But what I can see all the time is only intolerance. They insult me for my appearance. They insult me for being introverted. For being too clever. For being too stupid. For taking care of ill guinea-pig ("let it die, it´s only an animal"). At the end, they insult me for being rather alone than with them.

What the fu*king world we are living in?!

I would shout, but noone would listen to me...

Things were definitely harder for me when I was younger than they are now. When I was a young teen I was much more concerned with fitting in with my peers, and I failed miserably, in large part because my lack of understanding of myself made me an awkward person in general. But since then I've discovered that I'm ace and I've accepted that that does make me different. That discovery and my eventual self-acceptance took away a lot of the social discomfort and I became less awkward around others. I'm still really shy, but as I became a slightly more self-confident person, not only was it easier for me to relate to others, it became easier for others to relate to me.

I still feel like I think on a different wavelength than most people (and most people would probably agree with me), but I've wound up with better friends now than I ever would have had I been able to fit in when I was younger. Being different doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

InfiniteConciousness

Im an Aromantic and maybe ACE as well

I do feel different to romantics. I have been rideculed for it a bit here and there but the ridicule does not hurt me because I'm quite emotionally hardy in certain ways and the way I see it is the joke is on them.

I have allways like being unconventional. Its not just being aromantic and possibly ACE which make me different either.

While being different can and, often, does lead to being dealt a less than satisfactory hand in that a number of people intend to make you "pay for it", I'd still rather be me than to be normal. : / Sorry for the run-on sentence. As such, I chose the simple "Yes" answer. I guess if someone throws stones at you, just compliment their aim. :D

A simple "yes" was the best answer for me, too.

I had some minor problems due to being different, especially when I was younger, but nothing that I couldn't deal with.

I wouldn't want to be any other way.

-gb

I guess if someone throws stones at you, just compliment their aim. :D

I am going to remember that quote - that's awesome! ^_^

Archived