Sometimes young people give me the faeces

test account

All good points. I'm not saying young people don't have it tough - I'm saying we all have it tough. And yes, we all need to let off steam now and then :)

On another topic, is there anyone here who has a bias against odd numbered ages as I do? I'm 36 now and that feels really cool to me, but 37 feels wrong. 38 feels like it will be better than being 37, and 42 feels like it will be as cool as being 36. But I don't want to be 41. 39 isn't too bad as it's close to the round figure of 40. But 37 feels absolutely totally awkward and yuch. :lol:

Ged of Earthsea

On another topic, is there anyone here who has a bias against odd numbered ages as I do? I'm 36 now and that feels really cool to me, but 37 feels wrong. 38 feels like it will be better than being 37, and 42 feels like it will be as cool as being 36. But I don't want to be 41. 39 isn't too bad as it's close to the round figure of 40. But 37 feels absolutely totally awkward and yuch. :lol:

Is it odd numbers or primes? If it's the latter, you just got unlucky. The next decade will have more primes than any since you were a teen. Hope I didn't just make it worse.

You know, it really drives me up to wall to hear older people whining about how teens are always whining ...

I'm just kidding. We all need to let off some steam at times. To some extent, young people are doing the same. Is it so hard to see where they're coming from?

For one, every one and everything, from your personal experience to your parents and the media you are exposed to tells you that these are your formative years. That all important choices that will impact your education, hence career, hence job prospects and consequently adult lifestyle will be made in the next few years. It isn't surprising that this stage feels like the edge of the youthful universe. Moreover, the sensible voices that will tell you this is a fallacy and how your life begins now are few and are usually drowned out by the crowd.

Then, there is the perception of time. When I was 10, a year was a Very Long Time. Time moved very slowly. Not surprising considering a year was 10% of my life. 20 years later time seems to move pretty fast. There was the period between my late teens and my mid-20s where time sped up faster than my perception could adjust. A new year begins. I settle into it. Bang! The next year hurtles past. It's scary to actually confront and observe the passage of time. Now, the day to day, or even year-to-year passage of time is too fast to bother me.

Finally, I think a big factor behind the 'I'm Old' or "it's over!" feeling is the perception of the future. When I was 10 I could not imagine myself as 12. When I was 20 I couldn't see up to 25. Now, close to 30, I can easily see up to 35 but it's a bit harder to see till 40. Even as a young person, I could dream of being a parent or a grandparent; I still can. That's different from imagining yourself mucking around in a day-to-day manner doing things, especially new things and having new experiences. Mick Jagger in his 20s said he'd rather be dead than singing Satisfaction when he's 45. He's still singing it at 65. We can laugh at him, but I can imagine that at 25, 45 is a complete black void and you think you'll be damned if you're doing the same stuff then. Then you have a life and stop whining about age or satisfaction (unless you're Mick Jagger of course).

So.

Is it so hard to see where old people are coming from?

For one thing, everyone and everything, from your personal experience to your children and grandchildren and the media you are exposed to, tell you that these are your golden years. That all important choices that impacted your education, hence career, hence job prospects are over with, done, don't worry about it any more. It isn't surprising that this stage feels like the edge of the end of the universe. Moreover, the sensible voices that will tell you this is a fallacy and how your life will continue are usually drowned out by the crowd.

Then, there is the perception of time. When I was 40, a year was a Very Long Time. Time moved very slowly. Not surprising considering a year was only 1/80th of my expected life. 30 years later time seems to move pretty fast. There was the period between my late 50s and my mid-60s where time sped up faster than my perception could adjust. A new year begins. I settle into it. Bang! The next year hurtles past. It's scary to actually confront and observe the passage of time. Now, the day to day, or even month-to-month passage of time is so fast as to terrify me.

Finally, I think a big factor behind the 'I'm Old' or "it's over!" feeling is the perception of the future and where there is indeed a future. When I was 40 I could not imagine myself as 45. When I was 50 I couldn't see up to 51. Now, close to XX (I will not write that number), I can easily see up to XX but it's a bit harder to see til XXX. Even as a middle-aged person, I could dream of being a grandparent. Now I am. Mick Jagger in his 20s said he'd rather be dead than singing Satisfaction when he's 45. He's still singing it at 65. Everyone laughs at him, even though he's still making a lot more than all those people laughing at him, who imagine that at 45, their lives will be complete black voids.

But if you live, you will get old, and if you are not Mick Jagger, you will be laughed at but you will NOT be making a lot of money. -_-

Is it odd numbers or primes? If it's the latter, you just got unlucky. The next decade will have more primes than any since you were a teen. Hope I didn't just make it worse.

OMG it might be primes!! I tested myself: 45: yeah okay, 27: yeah okay, 61: NO!, 33: yeah okay, 63: not too bad, 84: YEAH!, 68: YEAH!, 17: NO!, 81: yeah okay...

I still prefer evens to odds, but definitely primes are out - I wonder why? :blink:

When i was a kid I was taught that I would never ever get old and die. I guess not many people have had that experience. Because of my mum's religious beliefs, the world I grew up in went something like this:

"God has decided to bring an end to this world. All the governments, businesses and all other churches (nice isn't it?) will be destroyed by God along with everyone who belongs to them. Only people in our church will survive.

"This will happen maybe tomorrow, or the day after. It will probably happen before you ever finish school. It will definitely happen before you turn 30. And when it does, all of us who survive will return to our youth and live forever and never die."

I wonder sometimes how much this has affected my outlook. I cry sometimes when I think about dying. I don't mind being old, I just don't want to go to sleep and never wake up again. There are too many pretty things that I don't want to leave. Maybe it won't seem so bad when I've lived a lot longer? But somehow I doubt it :(

Gho St Ory Qwan

When i was a kid I was taught that I would never ever get old and die. I guess not many people have had that experience. Because of my mum's religious beliefs, the world I grew up in went something like this:

"God has decided to bring an end to this world. All the governments, businesses and all other churches (nice isn't it?) will be destroyed by God along with everyone who belongs to them. Only people in our church will survive.

"This will happen maybe tomorrow, or the day after. It will probably happen before you ever finish school. It will definitely happen before you turn 30. And when it does, all of us who survive will return to our youth and live forever and never die."

I wonder sometimes how much this has affected my outlook. I cry sometimes when I think about dying. I don't mind being old, I just don't want to go to sleep and never wake up again. There are too many pretty things that I don't want to leave. Maybe it won't seem so bad when I've lived a lot longer? But somehow I doubt it :(

I was brought up religious also. Similar out look on life (although slightly more positive). it was definitely one of those, the world will probs end before you're dead/old things.

I find it hard to imagine traditional afterlifes and eternal death. I'm not often scared of death. I was once in my life for around 3 months. Besides that it seems like it'd be more of a well earned rest. =/

You know, I was about to say that I'm not scared of death exactly, but I think I am in a certain kind of way. It's the sort of scared I feel when I know something has been lost and I can't replace it. I wonder if everything will be okay.

Of course, I know everything will be okay because people will do just fine when I'm not around. I just worry about the human race sometimes and hope that it keeps going and doesn't die out, for no other reason than I love humans. I think we are amazing! I guess I'm prejudiced in favor of my species :)

I just worry about the human race sometimes and hope that it keeps going and doesn't die out, for no other reason than I love humans. I think we are amazing! I guess I'm prejudiced in favor of my species :)

Spread and broaden your love! You know - there's so much that's amazing and great about all those other species living on this planet; and loads we are to be thankful for them to, too. Like - those little one-celled creatures everyone forgets about; we wouldn't be here without them. They've "terraformed" this planet for us, and kept at it for millions and millions of years until it was stable enough for other life to start appearing. Given just how simple they are that's quite some dedication. And even if there'd be some grand (human sourced or not) catastrophe that would wipe out most of this planet's lifeforms, they'd be at it, rebuilding. As long as the planet is not completely and physically destroyed, they'll continue to exist and work to build the base for nature's creativity.

There's plants (e.g. Catopsis berteroniana) with sticky leaves, much like sundew, that catch insects but aren't carnivorous. The insects are eaten by a bug (e.g. Pameridea) that lives in symbiosis with them; the bug's dung fertilizes the plant. Symbiosis and co-development like that is so amazing. Most fish live in a three-dimensional sensory space that's mapped in their brain; whereas we mainly operate in 2(.5) dimensions. Wales, Dolphins and Apes all show evidence of being multi-cultural species; i.e. culture and different cultural behaviours is not a human exclusive; it's probably quite common [but hard for us to identify - as it is so non-human]. There's birds that memorize millions of food caches they establish over the summer and autumn and can pinpoint and relocate each and every of them during winter and spring. How different must the world be like for something (like bats) that experiences it through echolocation [they literally see the world by sound]? Pigeons, for a creature most people pass by and probably think boring, are a very very old species that has seen very little genetic and evolutionary changes. DNA from pigeon fossils is virtually identically to those alive today. It is as if they didn't need to evolve further. They are also not really related to most other bird species alive today, having branched of at a very early stage and form (pretty much) their own family.

See - all those creatures and plants out there are equally amazing and deserving of admiration. I ALWAYS get giddy (in a happy way) about the whole ecosystem out there :).

-C.

I look forward to an age when I don't feel like I don't know what's going on, I don't generally just flail my way through life, and I have a better sense of who I am. ...That does eventually happen, yes? Please say yes.

Sorry if you didn't want a 21-year old mucking up your thread, but I just thought I'd throw that in.

I look forward to an age when I don't feel like I don't know what's going on, I don't generally just flail my way through life, and I have a better sense of who I am. ...That does eventually happen, yes? Please say yes.

Sorry if you didn't want a 21-year old mucking up your thread, but I just thought I'd throw that in.

You WILL have a better sense of who you are, but you will still not know what is going on and you will still flail your way through life. One out of three isn't bad. :lol:

And the other two are actually really good things in disguise (unless your biggest dream is being an accountant). You really want to know everything or have an exact plan from here to the end? :]

Gho St Ory Qwan

Humans can see through echolocation too. We're incredible creatures, like all others on the planet. I love the positivity of this thread. ^_^ :wub:

I just worry about the human race sometimes and hope that it keeps going and doesn't die out, for no other reason than I love humans. I think we are amazing! I guess I'm prejudiced in favor of my species :)

Spread and broaden your love! You know - there's so much that's amazing and great about all those other species living on this planet; and loads we are to be thankful for them to, too. Like - those little one-celled creatures everyone forgets about; we wouldn't be here without them. They've "terraformed" this planet for us, and kept at it for millions and millions of years until it was stable enough for other life to start appearing. Given just how simple they are that's quite some dedication. And even if there'd be some grand (human sourced or not) catastrophe that would wipe out most of this planet's lifeforms, they'd be at it, rebuilding. As long as the planet is not completely and physically destroyed, they'll continue to exist and work to build the base for nature's creativity.

There's plants (e.g. Catopsis berteroniana) with sticky leaves, much like sundew, that catch insects but aren't carnivorous. The insects are eaten by a bug (e.g. Pameridea) that lives in symbiosis with them; the bug's dung fertilizes the plant. Symbiosis and co-development like that is so amazing. Most fish live in a three-dimensional sensory space that's mapped in their brain; whereas we mainly operate in 2(.5) dimensions. Wales, Dolphins and Apes all show evidence of being multi-cultural species; i.e. culture and different cultural behaviours is not a human exclusive; it's probably quite common [but hard for us to identify - as it is so non-human]. There's birds that memorize millions of food caches they establish over the summer and autumn and can pinpoint and relocate each and every of them during winter and spring. How different must the world be like for something (like bats) that experiences it through echolocation [they literally see the world by sound]? Pigeons, for a creature most people pass by and probably think boring, are a very very old species that has seen very little genetic and evolutionary changes. DNA from pigeon fossils is virtually identically to those alive today. It is as if they didn't need to evolve further. They are also not really related to most other bird species alive today, having branched of at a very early stage and form (pretty much) their own family.

See - all those creatures and plants out there are equally amazing and deserving of admiration. I ALWAYS get giddy (in a happy way) about the whole ecosystem out there :).

-C.

Thank you for giving me these things to think about - the world is an amazing place! :cake:

You WILL have a better sense of who you are, but you will still not know what is going on and you will still flail your way through life. One out of three isn't bad. :lol:

hehehe this reminds me of a conversation I had with a gentleman in his 70s when i was waiting in a doctor's surgery. I asked him if things make more sense at his age, and he exclaimed "NO!" with a big smile :) I said I was kind of disappointed about that and he said, "You just learn how to better handle the fact things make no sense." ^_^

I've never kept a track of my years, because biological/physical age has had little meaning to me. Whenever I need to remember my age I gotta stop and think for a second how old am I, and people usually think it's odd or hilarious. *shrug*

I'll be 24 in a few weeks. Let's see if I can remember my b-day this year. I usually forget it, as info that is trivial to me is easily forgotten.

Some young kids piss me off

I'm pretty sure my parents said that and the kids of today will say it about kids when they are my age..shock horror

hehehe this reminds me of a conversation I had with a gentleman in his 70s when i was waiting in a doctor's surgery. I asked him if things make more sense at his age, and he exclaimed "NO!" with a big smile :) I said I was kind of disappointed about that and he said, "You just learn how to better handle the fact things make no sense." ^_^

Yeah I've heard elderly people saying things like that too. In fact, I think it makes sense that it doesn't make sense to try to make sense out of sense. If you get my drift...

Gho St Ory Qwan
Yeah I've heard elderly people saying things like that too. In fact, I think it makes sense that it doesn't make sense to try to make sense out of sense. If you get my drift...

It makes sense if I read it as; I think it makes sense that it doesn't make sense to try to make sense out of nonsense.

What on this green Earth does 'to give someone the feces' mean? No-body seems to have asked in the entire six pages, and I'm a bit baffled.

mylittlehazmat

What on this green Earth does 'to give someone the feces' mean? No-body seems to have asked in the entire six pages, and I'm a bit baffled.

I was going to, and then I never did cuz I was like ._. ... constipation?

Ged of Earthsea

I was going to, and then I never did cuz I was like ._. ... constipation?

Mental constipation causing verbal diarrhoea.

(I hope you hadn't just eaten. :) Also, this wasn't directed at the OT.)

I thought it meant...well, there's an American expression, "That's just the sh-ts" and that's what I thought. All of those are close, kind of, maybe.

I was going to say the same thing regarding the title. I don't want young OR old giving me feces! *shudders*

As far as the topic goes, I like to invision the "You just learn how to better handle the fact things make no sense." way of thinking that was shown through a mini story a couple of posts earlier.

I have been meaning to question the title of this thread, too, but every time I seriously thought about doing it I started laughing because the various mental images that it conjured up were so funny.

I can't help it. I think that corner of my brain is stuck at about age 11.

-gb

Oh hell, time perception. I remember being about 10 or 11 years old, and summer vacation seemed like an eternity, and it was only 3 months of the year. Now it seems like I take a nap and several years have gone by. That freaks me out.

And I digress as usual: I am not exactly afraid of death, but I think video games influenced my perception of reality in a way. I mean that I am disappointed that when you screw up something in real life, you can't just hit the "reset" button. That depresses me. And more than that, you don't have multiple lives (at least, I don't believe you do), and there are so many possibilities out there, and not enough time to explore them all. Yes, that's it: I don't fear death, but it's sad that life is too short. Forgive my psychotic tangents here... ^_^

The most depressing realization I've had in life was that adults do not, in fact, have all the answers. As a young kid, I really thought they did. As an adult, and the older I get, the more I realize that adults don't have many answers at all. I really thought my parents knew it all and were superhuman when I was young, and my grandparents even moreso.

Without further ado, let me explain that the title 'give me the feces' [and yes, legitimate spelling as i looked it up on dictionary.com before posting :P] was a polite way of saying 'give me the shits' [that is, 'really annoy me']. Points to Sally for picking it, though there were some interesting and worthy interpretations :lol:

Archived