Nationality stereotypes

Raccoonwolf

So, I'm bored and this is a thing I'm interested in. People from different countries are so different, and still the same.

About Finnish stereotypes:

-Americans are loud and proud (and maybe fat.)

-Swedish people are brainless homosexuals (I didn't invite this! I like Swedish people... And "homo" isn't even an insult...)

-Russians get way too friendly and are proud. Their pronouncing is made fun of. Generally disliked because of the war.

-Japanese people are small and overly polite

-French people are fashionable and quite sophisticated

-Germans are strict

-Africans are poor (Because sure, Africa is a country. Didn't you know? (it's really mostly unconscious, we do know there are many countries in there))

-Canada... Wait, there was a country like that?

-Finns have guts and are brave. Or Finns are old, violent drunks from the countryside.

-Danes are healthy

-Italians are loud and friendly

Well, these are quite the same ones as everywhere else, except the ones for Russia and Sweden, our old rulers. It's an old grudge. Finnish Swedish people are seen as thinking to be the upper class, artistic, and arrogant. Sorry, really sorry, Swedes.... -.-;

So, what are your stereotypes? Tell me, or I'll die of boredom.

-Finns have guts and are brave. Or Finns are old, violent drunks from the countryside.

Definitely more focus on the latter here, I'd say. And I would be very surprised if anyone here saw Finn-Swedes as "upper class, artistic, and arrogant", let's just leave it at that. :P

Anyway, to contribute something to the thread:

*lives in city with a high concentration of Finn-Swedes, and can't resist some friendly jokes in the direction now and again :P*

Americans tend to view French people as either romantic/loving- I mean, Paris, come on! I don't know where that stereotype came from? French kissing?- or sleazy.

Mexicans are dirty, poor, and quite willling to live places under horrible conditions to avoid moving back to their home country.

Granted, there are plenty of stereotypes between different states. People in the North think the South is stupid. People in the South think the North is nuts. Almost every other state believes taht Minnesotans are hics who talk funny and have absolutely no brains- not to mention, we're all supposedly Swedish!

It's strange how stereotypes can develop in a country about different parts of that country.

Oh, and none of these are my stereotypes, but ones I've heard about. These are not personal opinions!

Definitely more focus on the latter here, I'd say. And I would be very surprised if anyone here saw Finn-Swedes as "upper class, artistic, and arrogant", let's just leave it at that. :P

Anyway, to contribute something to the thread:

*lives in city with a high concentration of Finn-Swedes, and can't resist some friendly jokes in the direction now and again :P*

Uh.. I don't get the video... What the heck is that supposed to be?

Yeah, well, greetings from the East... There are way more Russians than Swedes here, and most people have never really used Swedish in their lives. It's understandable, I think.

Anyway, are you from Sweden or Finland? I didn't quite catch that...

@OrderlyChaos, that happens in Finland too. There are stereotypes for different areas. Generally:

-People from south-west are proud and silent, or Swedish

-People from south are open-minded city-people, and pretty Swedish also

-People from south-east speak a lot, but may lie, and often say "it could be so, but could be not so too".

-People from the North raise reindeer, but there are so few people there they barely count anyway

I don't agree with these stereotypes at all, no offense anyone... And anyway, I'm from the talkative liar part... (Actually I'm quite shy.)

While we're at it, this parody would sum up the stereotype of Norrland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JSam5qKSsw

The title of the video, BTW, means " the tale of the Finnish genie in the bottle", and features just such a thing. Oh, and the two nerds in the video game store would be a pretty good indication of the sterotype of people where I live (Eskilstuna). :P

Here's also a nice parody of the Scanians, also doubling as a parody of the free market:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L5w3nzrbts

Uh.. I don't get the video... What the heck is that supposed to be?

Someone got the brilliant idea of editing a news programme for Finn-Swedes, dubbing it over with Swedish phrases that are made to sound more Finnish. Hilarity ensues. :P

Yeah, well, greetings from the East... There are way more Russians than Swedes here, and most people have never really used Swedish in their lives. It's understandable, I think.

Anyway, are you from Sweden or Finland? I didn't quite catch that...

Born and raised in Sweden.

The one I hate most is that Italians "talk with their hands". Being an Italian citizen myself, I am probably the weirdest one there is, since my hands stay firmly by my sides whenever I speak.

Americans think the British are all smart because of their posh accent. Oh, and they're all rich, too. And they all drive a Bentley, and live in a manor house, and have a butler.

Danes are healthy? Never thought I'd see us described as such, lol..

I like British accents! That's about the only thing that comes to my mind when I think of Britian-that and Big Ben, and the underwater train! But then, I'm not your stereotypical American, either!

When I think of the UK, I think of Doctor Who.

corduroyjackalope

I would have to agree that us Americans are loud and I think pride is a problem here- everyone is out for themselves. Also rude. British people in my mind are more civilized and maybe quieter. More pleasent maybe.

I would post some that people in this country here say but they are mostly negative and aimed towards Americans.

Americans think the British are all smart because of their posh accent. Oh, and they're all rich, too. And they all drive a Bentley, and live in a manor house, and have a butler.

What about the butler?

INTERNATIONAL THREAT LEVELS

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats, and have therefore raised their security level from “Miffed” to “Peeved”. Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross”. The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940, when tea supplies nearly ran out.

Terrorists have been re-categorised from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance”. The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's get the Bastards”. They don't have any other levels. Which is why they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” two more levels remain:“Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels:“Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual. The only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Americans meanwhile, and as usual, are carrying out pre-emptive strikes on all of their allies 'just in case.'

Canada doesn't have any alert levels.

New Zealand has raised its security levels - from “baaa” to “BAAAA.” Due to continuing defence cutbacks, New Zealand has only one more level of escalation, which is “I hope Australia will come and rescue us.”

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from “No worries” to “She'll be right, mate.” Three more escalation levels remain:“Crikey!”; then “We may need to cancel the barbie this weekend”; and finally “The barbie is cancelled!” Thus far, no situation has ever warranted use of this final escalation level.

Stormy Wether

Agreed :) What's a barbie in australia, though? :)

A barbie is a barbecue, involving vast quantities of meat, and some meat, and not forgetting more meat. The weather in most parts of Aussie allows outdoor cooking year-round (apart from those times when it's too bloody hot to eat).

Hahaha, love that alert levels thing.

I don't know...I did see this video posted on another thread the other day, I think it sums up America pretty well:

Whatever you guys do, don't cancel the barbie.

Stormy Wether

Whatever you guys do, don't cancel the barbie.

Struth, cobber, can't cancel the barbie over a bit of a stoush. Ava cold one.

Americans are rudely polite, whilst the English are politely rude.

Oh come on... How about "Terrorists? Eh? Sorry about that."

I have a twisted sense of humor, so, of course, I love stereotypes. I also find it funny when somebody actually has a somewhat stereotypical personality. My mother, for example, is a great example of the Jewish mother stereotype, and my sister is a good example of the Jewish princess stereotype.

Granted, there are plenty of stereotypes between different states. People in the North think the South is stupid. People in the South think the North is nuts. Almost every other state believes taht Minnesotans are hics who talk funny and have absolutely no brains- not to mention, we're all supposedly Swedish!

When I think of Minnesota, I think of Fargo.

By the way, the Coen Brothers also made quite an accurate portrayal of Arizona in Raising Arizona.

INTERNATIONAL THREAT LEVELS

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats, and have therefore raised their security level from “Miffed” to “Peeved”. Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross”. The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940, when tea supplies nearly ran out.

Terrorists have been re-categorised from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance”. The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's get the Bastards”. They don't have any other levels. Which is why they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” two more levels remain:“Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels:“Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual. The only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Americans meanwhile, and as usual, are carrying out pre-emptive strikes on all of their allies 'just in case.'

New Zealand has raised its security levels - from “baaa” to “BAAAA.” Due to continuing defence cutbacks, New Zealand has only one more level of escalation, which is “I hope Australia will come and rescue us.”

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from “No worries” to “She'll be right, mate.” Three more escalation levels remain:“Crikey!”; then “We may need to cancel the barbie this weekend”; and finally “The barbie is cancelled!” Thus far, no situation has ever warranted use of this final escalation level.

That is hilarious.

The British ARE smarter than Americans.

Oh wait, only the English are smarter than Americans. The Irish have drunk their brains away. The Scots' brains are so cold and foggy they can't be measured. The Welsh devote all their brainpower to spelling those interminable unpronounceable words. The Canadians don't think they're British anymore, and the Australians and New Zealanders know they're not British anymore.

Oh wait, only the English are smarter than Americans. The Irish have drunk their brains away. The Scots' brains are so cold and foggy they can't be measured. The Welsh devote all their brainpower to spelling those interminable unpronounceable words. The Canadians don't think they're British anymore, and the Australians and New Zealanders know they're not British anymore.

Scots are a bunch of scientists and engineers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries

http://www.scotland.org/features/item/the-scots-didnt-invent-the-wheel/

Scots also also cheap to a fault.

The one I hate most is that Italians "talk with their hands". Being an Italian citizen myself, I am probably the weirdest one there is, since my hands stay firmly by my sides whenever I speak.

Armenians also speak with their hands. Of course, this one time when my mom was having a conversation and using her hands a lot, the lady she was speaking with held her hands and asked my mom to continue talking. She could not.

Also, moving one finger to go up and then to go out and repeating makes Armenians laugh. PBS said so and it worked on my mom.

Americans are totally ignorant about the rest of the world and probably don't even care.

Arabs are all Muslim.

Egyptians like to dance, and Lebanese party. (At least that goes for the American Egyptians and Lebanese.)

Mexicans are probably Catholic, and if they come to America, the women will have children before the graduate high school.

All Latin Americans like Soccer (which I understand really is popular through most of the world except America).

Indians are all poor and will answer phones for a pittence but are very technologically educated.

Chinese people get the best electronics.

Chinese moms all push their kids to be the best (though their is some cultural truth to this).

Jews talk and argue constantly.

Oh wait, that's true. And Jews come from all different countries so it's moot. But still.

Oh wait, that's true. And Jews come from all different countries so it's moot. But still.

I thought they were the ones who run the Illuminati. ^_^

I thought they were the ones who run the Illuminati. ^_^

No, you're thinking of some other stereotypical organization I can't remember at the moment. They do run that one, whatever it is. Or something.

hey, i'm no Brit! :P

canadians are supposedly all polite... and we say "eh" a lot. actually, as a nation as a whole, we are fairly polite i think... though on a more personal level, if you think we're all that way, you just haven't met enough canadian arseholes yet. every country has 'em though. :P

not sure about the "eh" thing, really... personally, i use it mainly as emphasis at the end of a sentence when i'm pissed off; something along the lines of, "oh fuck off and go jump in a lake, eh?" :ph34r:

I told my mum that Canadians were stereotyped polite and apologetic. She didn't believe me.

Archived