Five Love Languages  

1. 1. What are your primary languages?

• Words of Affirmation
    • Quality Time
    • Physical Touch
    • Receiving Gifts
    • Acts of Service
    • None of the Above!

I was just discussing the "Five Love Languages" of Gary Chapman with a friend, and wondered about the statistics among the AVEN population. Surprisingly, I don't see a poll on the topic on the census forum. So, here's one.

Here's a link to the official test from the author's site, with shiny Flash graphics. There are plenty of others online if you don't like that one.

Chapman's presentation of the idea is pretty heteronormative and gender-binaried sometimes, but I think the test itself and its terminology are pretty useful even for people who don't fit the norms. (I recently went to a Five Love Languages workshop at a BDSM dungeon, attended by lots of polyamorous and LGBT people. They still loved the idea.) For people here who aren't in relationships or aren't interested in relationships, the version "for singles" in the link above doesn't seem especially alienating.

A lot of people seem to have multiple high-scoring languages, or to have different high scores depending on what version of the test they take, so I left the option open to select more than one primary language. Hopefully it'll still give useful results.

Well...I personally don't like it, at all.

First of all I felt like there was no right choice, ever. And examples overly repetitive.

Second of all I did the husband AND the wife...and it's sexist! The guy has the choice "I like when my wife does my laundry" and the wife has "I appreciate when my husband helps me do the laundry" and every other choices regarding chores are structured like that... anyways.

Stormy Wether

I couldn't finish it. Going by those questions, I can't accept any kind of love.

I chose Acts of Service. I think that this book was pretty good. The basic idea of everyone responding to a different type of "language" makes sense. We are made up of all the choices, but it definitely is apparent which love language is the primary. I recommend this book.

I couldn't finish it. Going by those questions, I can't accept any kind of love.

I'll add a choice for that! :D

I got quality time (which is exactly what I expected going in :rolleyes: )

Though I've recently realized that I'm not as adversed to touch as I used to think, and that someone hugging me while i'm upset is actually really comforting..

I got quality time, even though for most of the questions I just had to choose between two bad options. >.>

I got no points for Receiving Gifts and I think it's more true than the highest score. I hate getting gifts, especially for no reason.

annwyl_cariad

I overwhelmingly got "Physical Touch," which I basically expected. I'm an extremely affectionate person...which kind of confuses people as to how I can be asexual and still be such a cuddleslut, haha. The next highest was Quality Time, which I also kind of expected. I love being with with my friends and family and I just feel so happy after I've spent time with them.

As far as the heteronormativity/sexism, I only took the singles version of the love language test but it seemed pretty straightforward and non-gender-specific to me. It did kinda piss me off that they had separate tests for husbands and wives though. And the apology language test had one question that referred to something a fellow church member did, which threw me off. I thought, why would you have to bring religion into it? The question would have worked equally well if they substituted a business associate for a fellow church member.

Then I noticed that at the bottom of the website it says the publisher is Moody. As in, Moody Bible Institute, which doesn't allow its students to kiss in public or attend comedy clubs. So perhaps I should find the heteronormativity/sexism less surprising. :/

Quality Time, for me. I do enjoy spending a lot of time with my partner. We go most places together.

I didn't like how sexist the questions for "wife" were - do I like it when my other half helps with the housework? The only reason I do most of it now is cause I'm on maternity leave, it's normally his job!

• 2 weeks later...

Mine were Quality Time (11) and Acts of Service (7)

"Quality Time

In Quality Time, nothing says “I love you” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes you feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed activities, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful."

I got definitely scored highest on "Words of Affirmation" (11 points). Which is very, very true.

Second highest score, was a close tie between "Quality Time" (8 points) and "Physical Touch" (7 points)

I scored 0 on "Receiving Gifts" :ph34r: Dunno if that's totally accurate though. I do love it when my husband gives me gifts (and he's very good at picking the right things) and I do most certainly value them. But I suppose it's true that I don't want, or expect, random gifts to show that he loves me... but if he didn't get me anything for Christmas or so, that would be disappointing indeed!

...Last Christmas he got me a Wii! :lol:

Quality Time was my main one.

The questions were really really stupid. They were far too simple. I know online tests generally are but this one was... more simple than previous ones I've done. I think I have an aversion for gifts now after their continuous questioning as to whether or not I like receiving gifts.

I got quality time as well. It's definately true, there's no better way to spend a day for me than to be hanging out with my (rather small) group of friends.

Unsurprisingly, I scored very low in physical touch and gifts.

Technically I completed it with Words of Affermation. However, I should note that I had to stop and think about which option I liked the least for many of them. I suspect that this through the test somewhat (although words of affermation are sorta key for me.)

6 Words of Affirmation

8 Quality Time

2 Receiving Gifts

5 Acts of Service

9 Physical Touch

It fits me well I think

• 3 weeks later...

Archived