"The Top Asexual News Stories of 2010"

+Lee

I have a google alert on asexual and this popped up in my inbox:

http://www.examiner.com/asexual-in-philadelphia/the-top-asexual-news-stories-of-2010-1

The Asexual news on 2010 has not focused on celebrities. The news came out surrounding celebrities came from people suggesting a supreme court nominee might be asexual instead of a Lesbian. Defenders of Kagan were not the only celebrities to use this tactic, but they were by far the most important.

The largest issue that dominated the news was Teva's Women's Health's Plan B ad, a story that broke at the end of the year. Action from AVEN and other groups caused Teva to remove the word asexual from their Sexy Lingerie ad. The company plans to release a new ad campaign sometime after the start of the new year.

Controversy over the DSM-V continued. Lori Brotto criticizes the pharmaceutical industry in a recent letter to the editor for trying to keep the disorder alive. Her letter accuses the drug companies of having a vested interest in the manufacture of drugs for treating the disorder. The letter criticizes the few existing studies on the disorder for failing to meet valid diagnostic criteria.

During the last few days of the year, After Ellen columnist Trish Bendix wrote, “This also extended to become part of an asexual-type aura, where artists hoped they would be received and (and subsequently sexualized) by everyone, no matter their gender and sexual orientation.”

Two Asexual celebrities joined the lack of people who do not see why it is so hard to say no to sex.. Tim Gunn from Project Runway and Emilie Autumn both announced their lack of interest in sleeping with members of either gender. As the year closes, Asexuals can be grateful, in a small way, that they did not have to deal with a lot of controversy this year.

Oh-mah-gee! That seems to be all pretty much good news. :) A good year I'd say, especially because the add is being changed.

sinisterporpoise

You just reminded me I needed to double check something. I have to sort through the report on the DSM-V to make sure it says what I think its saying.

I'm also pretty sure I removed that bit about Trish Bendix, because I got the impression she was trying to invaldate asexuality. I still don't like her quote, but when her statement is taken in context, it's about self-acceptance. She's not suggesting Asexuality isn't a valid orientation.

You just reminded me I needed to double check something. I have to sort through the report on the DSM-V to make sure it says what I think its saying.

I'm also pretty sure I removed that bit about Trish Bendix, because I got the impression she was trying to invaldate asexuality.

oh, okay! Because I was looking at that line and thinking I didn't quite know how to read that.

: )

Sinister, you are so rad btw. *hugs*

And, Arielle, that is cool about that google alert thing.

I've seen you mention that before... *must get more internet savvy* :redface: