Do you drink alcohol?

The A Life Team

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well, do you?

• Yes
    • No

You are confusing drinking alcohol with drinking alcohol to excess,

Unfortunately, that's exactly how a lot of people consume alcohol, even if they don't initially intend to

I don't, and neither do any of my friends. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. I don't think I've had a drink for about a week now.

No, never. Alcohol is toxic, pro-oxidant. It destroys human's health, brain, liver, heart, stomach, etc. It destroys body-fitness and ages it. Alcohol leads to depression, anxiety, obesity, cancer, lack of nutrients, if its intake extends over time. Many people become agressive and stupid when they drink alcohol. It affects the will, the ability to control oneself and the ability to think clearly and take good decisions.

Be smart. Never drink alcohol.

You are confusing drinking alcohol with drinking alcohol to excess, and I would like to see some hard evidence of any of the claims you cite in the above paragraph, as the experience of myself and my friends proves this to be false. One of my friends is approaching 60. He's enjoyed a pint of bitter for about the last 40 years, and while obviously he's not as young as he used to be, he's as fit and on the ball as he ever was. I could probably rewrite the above quote with a set of cherry-picked reasons why chocolate is bad for your health, and conclude with "Be smart. Never eat chocolate."

I feel more cross having just read this post, and unlike yesterday I am absolutely stone-cold sober.

You obviously haven't met my family. Particularly my dad and brother. Growing up, I feared my dad when he was drunk because he was/still is much angrier drunk than when he's sober. As for my brother, he's more of a happy drunk, but more loud and obnoxious. And that's not even mentioning the time when he was drunk that he mistook my bedroom for the bathroom and peed all over my books and magazines. Last time I checked, chocolate doesn't cause people to pee all over ones sibling's belongings.

Sorry to hear that. I've just never had that experience. I can take one pint and call it a night. So can my friends. It must just be a culture difference.

The excesses of some, especially when those some are close to oneself, are a perfectly legitimate reason to make the decision not to drink. However, that isn't to say that because some drink in excess that all or even most do. Not that this has necessarily been insinuated. As someone who was 100% teetotal until 27 for reasons that had far more to do with irrational fear than with any moral stance, I think its an important point to understand. That, and the fact that it is often possible to drink responsibly and have fun doing it without infringing upon others.

Honestly, I used to drink before. What made me stop was when I collapsed on the couch due to feeling faint from drinking too quickly. Though it was dumb of me to even start in the first place, as my medication doesn't mix well with alcohol over 5%.

I don't, and neither do any of my friends. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. I don't think I've had a drink for about a week now.

If it doesn't apply to you then why are you getting all offended? If I go around saying "most people are bloody idiots" (which is something I do go around saying and actually believe) and you're not a bloody idiot, that means you should be smart enough to know my statement didn't apply to you.

Doesn't change the fact that this is what I see a lot of people do. They start out saying they are just gonna have a drink or two; at the end of the night they are completely plastered. Gee, I wonder how that happened?

If it doesn't apply to you then why are you getting all offended? If I go around saying "most people are bloody idiots" (which is something I do go around saying and actually believe) and you're not a bloody idiot, that means you should be smart enough to know my statement didn't apply to you.

Doesn't change the fact that this is what I see a lot of people do. They start out saying they are just gonna have a drink or two; at the end of the night they are completely plastered. Gee, I wonder how that happened?

There's a certain hypocrisy in that kind of action that bothers me. In the right time and place, there's nothing inherently wrong with getting drunk but be honest with your intents. If I plan to get drunk I'm going to own up to it. Of course, I'm also responsible enough to know when and where that's appropriate and what amount is in my personal realm of acceptability, so perhaps that's a difference right there.

I am an extremely social drinker. I only really drink at parties while i do get drunk sometimes i never go to far enough to get sick or a hangover the next day. Other than that i do not it seems super depressing to drink when there are not people around.

There's a certain hypocrisy in that kind of action that bothers me. In the right time and place, there's nothing inherently wrong with getting drunk but be honest with your intents. If I plan to get drunk I'm going to own up to it. Of course, I'm also responsible enough to know when and where that's appropriate and what amount is in my personal realm of acceptability, so perhaps that's a difference right there.

My understanding is that alcohol tends to impair awareness and judgment, so I'm sure for at least some of these people, they didn't go into it "planning" to get drunk; they just get lost in the moment and end up that way. Some people can overpower this, and others can't. But regarding the people that can't, it doesn't ever seem to dissuade them from drinking in the future; they'll still do it anyway because it's something they enjoy for some reason.

My understanding is that alcohol tends to impair awareness and judgment, so I'm sure for at least some of these people, they didn't go into it "planning" to get drunk; they just get lost in the moment and end up that way. Some people can overpower this, and others can't. But regarding the people that can't, it doesn't ever seem to dissuade them from drinking in the future; they'll still do it anyway because it's something they enjoy for some reason.

I guess that's a mentality I find a little difficult to understand. Self control is such an important thing to me that when I drink I decide ahead of time how far I'm comfortable going. Granted I've been drunk enough to be sick a couple if times, but even that was somewhat intentional. I'm new to drinking and feel that knowing my boundaries is important. Thus, to experience that level of drunkenness in a safe environment is important to know how much I can indulge at a given time to achieve a given effect without going beyond where I'm comfortable.

naomilawlietjr

Under the legal age limit, but no. Don't drink, don't do drugs (don't smoke either). The thought of losing control of my actions and thoughts is a bit terrifying, to be honest.

a thread elsewhere reminded me of this situation i found myself in once:

a friend of mine was trying to use me as his wingman (he didn't ask, he foisted it upon me) on a night out once a couple of years ago. of course, one of the problems he found as me being his wingman was that i am not an alcohol drinker. he felt this was offputting to females he wanted to chat up . the drink he ordered for me was "a virgin screwdriver" as he figured this looked less bad from his perspective and prospects.

No, I don't drink anymore. The last time I did drink though, I totally lost control of myself and it was very embarrassing. I felt bad and decided to not drink again, and I've stuck to it so far.

earlymorningechoes

No, not at all. I've had wine and beer in the past, just small sips, and absolutely abhorred the taste, and I'm scared to touch it at all for reasons I don't even know. My closest friends do, and it's become commonplace for them all to have drinks while I've a glass of peach juice or something :)

Ace-of-Blades

Yeah, non-drinker here. I've never really wanted to drink, so I haven't! Though I often joke with my friends that the day I do, they'll probably find me try to dance sexily on a table with my dress hitched up- or something silly like that.

I used to feel a bit awkward and weird at -the few- parties I went to during high-school, but I was also dealing with an alcoholic father at the time.

I might have a drink on my 21st, if I feel like it though. Who knows!

• 2 weeks later...

not only do I find alcohol to be absolutely disgusting, but I dislike the idea of having my judgement compromised. I have had one night of drinking, it was with a very close friend and a movie night, and the drinks had a very low alcohol content :) It was a blast. (we were watching the puppet master series btw)

Bye Bye Birdy

I used to drink in moderation, but really can't drink now due to medication. Besides, alcoholism runs in my family. It's ugly, and I don't want to go there.

• 2 weeks later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived