Do you drink alcohol?

The A Life Team

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well, do you?

• Yes
    • No

The A Life Team

As tradition dictates, it is time to go off topic for our final episode of the year. This naturally means immediate derailment and general confusion in the part of the panelists. Let the festivities begin!

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

allow me to be the first to reply:

heh.

heh heh.

for those of you who don't know me personally, that would be a yes. for those of you who do-- heh.

I drink very lightly and occasionally. On Christmas Day I'll be sipping Spanish coffee while watching the Fireplace Channel.

Michael

I think like a lot of people im a celebrative drinker so i drink at Christmas birthdays and maybe new year but even then not all the time.

Well I am underage for alcohol consumption, but from what I've tasted of it it is rather unsavory so no.

This will be our first Christmas without mum (she died 22 October), so who knows what new traditions we'll set. I haven't been able enjoy a Christmas since dad died (1966), so I could very well go absolutely silly this year... :lol:

I'm not fond of it, but I'll take sips just to try it out. Everything I've tasted so far is absolutely disgusting, so I don't think I'm going to really get into it in the future, haha.

oh, come on. i know for a fact that there are plenty of imbibers on AVEN. come out of the woodwork, everybody. don't leave me standing here looking like the only lush in the place.

not that i mind, really. more for me...

I voted "yes" but must add an addendum. I don't get shitfaced. Party drinking, to me, is fucking stupid. I like quality beer and wine, and some mixed drinks are ok. A six pack and a few close friends is a perfect summer afternoon. And I chalk up my liking of wine to my Italian ancestry. ;)

ShahidAfridiBOOMBOOM

I was drunk on a Christmas beer called "Belgian Blue" (I think?) all weekend. Was supposed to go a Kings of Leon gig last night but I was so hungover I couldn't face it (I only like their first album anyway). So yeah overdid it a bit but in general I "drink responsibly" nowadays.

Stormy Wether

I spent most of my 20's looking for oblivion. Then a harder drug got me in its clutches. Tea.

Gho St Ory Qwan

Yes. Not nearly as much as I'd like. I'm a student; I should drink more. But I never really get any ill effects, and the taste is about as bad as most non-alcoholic drinks in my opinion. ^_^

Alcohol and me don't mix very well. I've gotten stupid before and had friends to take care of me. Now I keep my drinking very light. I see it's consumption best used as a relaxer for my social anxiety.

I was drunk on a Christmas beer called "Belgian Blue" (I think?) all weekend. Was supposed to go a Kings of Leon gig last night but I was so hungover I couldn't face it (I only like their first album anyway). So yeah overdid it a bit but in general I "drink responsibly" nowadays.

yeah, i only ever overdo unintentionally, usually when i'm talking and drinking for hours on an empty stomach. i have a pretty immense capacity for alcohol read: hollow leg, though, so it's rather difficult for me to consume enough to get hungover; not to say it doesn't happen occasionally, but it's rare. and i seem to be incapable of getting stupidly drunk. i got there a handful of times in my callow youth; it was just incredibly unpleasant, and i can't imagine why that would be a goal for anyone.

i will say that people have different experiences of alcohol (and any other drug) across the board, so to those of you who hate alcohol and the experience of being inebriated and wonder why anyone would bother to do that, please understand that what you feel under the influence and what those of us who enjoy it feel are two completely different things. (i've tried pot a couple of times in the past and it doesn't do a damned thing for me, but obviously that isn't true of everyone. alcohol has the same potential to affect people in widely divergent ways.)

I drink a lot. Too much, probably. I should probably cut back.

I don't like the feeling of not being in control of myself, so I avoid alcohol and other drugs. I see so many people use it as a crutch.

I see so many people use it as a crutch.

i always have to laugh when i hear that phrase. you know who uses crutches? people who need crutches. i mean, seriously. do you see people who have the full use of their legs walking around with crutches unnecessarily? hardly. if there are people who use alcohol to excess in order to deal with distressing things, it's because they genuinely don't have any other way of dealing with them. i'm not saying it's the best way to deal with those things, just that if they felt they had other options, they'd be using them. and none of us has any right to judge that.

Stormy Wether

i always have to laugh when i hear that phrase. you know who uses crutches? people who need crutches. i mean, seriously. do you see people who have the full use of their legs walking around with crutches unnecessarily? hardly. if there are people who use alcohol to excess in order to deal with distressing things, it's because they genuinely don't have any other way of dealing with them. i'm not saying it's the best way to deal with those things, just that if they felt they had other options, they'd be using them. and none of us has any right to judge that.

Yeah. That.

Stefaaaaaaaan

oh, come on. i know for a fact that there are plenty of imbibers on AVEN. come out of the woodwork, everybody. don't leave me standing here looking like the only lush in the place.

Pass the Vodka if you please P.

Waits for the other Yadabar regulars to show up

Stefaaaaaaaan

This too (I really want to say all this to my highly judgmental younger brother)

i drank alcohol but gave it up in 2004. I just found it boring and i didn't like the taste

a question i came up with a few months ago was "could people who were underage buy non-alcoholic versions of alcoholic beverages"

Nope, no drinking for me. First of all I hate the taste (If I change my mind, I might have some wine or something), second of all I have no desire for the effects. I pride myself in my ability to act as intoxicated, high, or calm as I please :lol: ... without the help of drugs.

*waves arms around* I want some too!

*pours herself a glass of Baileys*

I can't stand the taste. Also, there've been plenty of people in my life who've... reacted badly and/or over-indulged foolishly. That really put me off. Obviously plenty of people do drink alcohol and are fine with it and don't have any problems, and I know plenty of people like that (including my own dad, who used to come and read me poetry after bedtime when under the influence when I was little!), but I've just been rather put off it by the people who don't take so well to it.

i drank alcohol but gave it up in 2004. I just found it boring and i didn't like the taste

a question i came up with a few months ago was "could people who were underage buy non-alcoholic versions of alcoholic beverages"

I'm pretty sure they can. I know I was at a family holiday resort a few years back, and at one bar they had a special range of non-alcoholic cocktails, specifically for the underage drinkers - and of course the teetotallers. There was a gorgeous one which involved ginger beer and lime juice. I enjoyed them a lot XD I wish more places served an interesting range of non-alcoholic drinks - I'm usually stuck with Coke!

good heavens. why on earth couldn't they? the key word being non-alcoholic. there's nothing illegal about it whatsoever.

Archived