Emotional Attraction vs Romantic Attraction

LouLou

I hope this is in the right place and also that it doesn't already exist.

I've been thinking lately a lot about the difference between emotional attraction and romantic attraction and whether there is a difference. For example, can you love someone, or be in love with someone, without that romantic attraction or desire to form a romantic bond with them?

I like to think that there is a large difference between the two. I've considered myself an aromantic for some time now, yet I tend to develop strong emotional bonds and attachments to people that I would even consider to love, yet I absolutely have no romantic feelings to them even if I can't imagine life without them.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the difference between the two? I'm curious at what people will come up with.

I'm pretty similar to this, except that I might be a panromantic who's currently not interested in a relationship atm.(It's all very confusing) I have a friend that I'm VERY emotionally attached to, and I can't imagine living without her. However, the idea of being in a relationship with her is very...strange. So I would say that there is a difference between emotional and romantic attraction. Also there is a huge implication between loving someone and "being in love" with someone, but I'm not entirely sure what that difference is.

I definitely agree that there can be a difference between emotional and romantic attraction/closeness. After all, someone can love their parents, siblings, cousins, best friends, etc and not imagine life without them, but love them in a different way than they would love a significant other.

I'm pretty similar to this, except that I might be a panromantic who's currently not interested in a relationship atm.(It's all very confusing) I have a friend that I'm VERY emotionally attached to, and I can't imagine living without her. However, the idea of being in a relationship with her is very...strange. So I would say that there is a difference between emotional and romantic attraction. Also there is a huge implication between loving someone and "being in love" with someone, but I'm not entirely sure what that difference is.

I also think I'm a panromantic who's just not interested in / doesn't want relationships right now. I have been romantically attracted to people in the past, so I probably wouldn't call myself completely aromantic, but I currently want absolutely nothing to do with relationships.

I agree with the thought of loving someone and being 'in love' with someone, which raises it even further. Can you be 'in love' with someone emotionally without any romantic attraction? Personally I think you can. I think you can totally be in love with someone, without there being romantic attraction...kinda like how you can have a totally romantic, committed and loving relationship without sexual attraction.

Waterbottle20

I believe a romantic attraction would have you feeling more obsessive about the person than an emotional one. An emotional one will just evoke calming nice feelings when you think about that person, a romantic one will make you feel more longing to get close to.

And on a side note, I also believe that wanting to kiss/ make out with someone can sometimes be brought about by sexual attraction, but I also believe romantic attraction can do that too. Obviously emotional attraction is not like that. The reason I can say this with confidence is because I'm only sexually attracted to men but have fallen in love with a girl before who I would've made out with in a heartbeat given the chance. Purely romantic.

Archived