How many languages do you speak?

SillyLily

1. 1. How many languages do you speak?

• 6+

This poll is closed to new votes

My native language is Mandarin. I can also speak English, Malay, Cantonese and Hakka (Chinese dialects). Also I can speak some Japanese and Italian, though not fluently.

• 3 weeks later...

Native English speaker, took Ukrainian for 13 years, though I'm not nearly fluent, and I speak a little bit of French.

I said one because I'm only fluent in one although I took a couple of years of Spanish so I could kind of survive in Spain and I'm currently taking Latin although I'm not sure if that counts because it's a dead language so yeah just one.

I'm fluent in both English and ASL!

Does the cryptic dialect known as Southern Californian count as its own thing too? Haha!

English is my first language, but know a few things in Spanish. Unfortunately, the courses I've been on are pathetic. One of them taught me how to say things like "What do you think of the current political situation in Egypt?" which was totally useless because I had no idea what the answer would be (unless it was "Good" or "Bad), and another taught me how to say things like "The purple jellyfish is on the table" or "The green goose is in the drawer".

Ahyes, and I've read a book which was written in Spanglish, and I learnt a few swears from that.

I think it was a good idea for me to have put down the answer as 'one'. ;)

That's a difficult one to answer! English is my native language, and I have rusty conversational French.

I also learned German at school, and can speak a few thousand words of Italian, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese and Finnish although I have no grammar to speak of (no pun intended... okay, maybe just a bit :ph34r: ) in any of those languages...

English speaker here, but I have a working knowledge of Latin (studied for 7 years over the course of elementary and high school). Currently working on becoming fluent in both Italian and German. :)

I voted 2 -- English is the only language I know fluently, but I know enough Spanish, VB.NET and Java that I figured it couldn't hurt if I rounded up...

Although, I imagine programming languages aren't what you were implying...

My native language is Polish.

Answering which foreign languages I speak is tricky, but if we assume that the main criterion is holding a conversation then I can speak:

- English (though, it's embarassingly halty sometimes as I don't use it very often [in speech])

- Italian (here the level is way lower than with English, and I rarely get to test it on native speakers)

I speak native English and fluent Esperanto, but I can also understand (and just about speak badly if I need to) German and French, and I learnt a bit of toki pona (still planning on learning the rest of it...). I don't really count those, so I went for 2.

• 3 weeks later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived