How many languages do you speak?

SillyLily

1. 1. How many languages do you speak?

• 6+

This poll is closed to new votes

I said 1. I'm pretty limited to English, but I speak enough Spanish to get by in a pinch, and I'm learning Japanese.

2 - English is my mother tongue, and I'm pretty fluent in French despite the level waning slightly the past year or two

I could hold very brief conversations (i.e. hello, name, from, how they're doing, etc) in Spanish, Italian and Scots Gaelic. The latter being the language I'm currently learning.

TRAlexzandria

I speak english as a first language. I can read and write and occasionally speak latin. I am in the process of learning ancient greek and modern german. I have an ear for languages so i know the basics of spanish, french, and japanese........ i went with three

• 2 weeks later...
Kung Fu Witch

I answered four : I speak French (my native language) and English (thanks to fanfiction ^_^ ) fluently. I'm also very good in German, since I started learning the language in kindergarten, but I can't get the articles right :huh: . I can speak Spanish well enough to be understood, but don't expect me to be eloquent in that language :blush: . I've also been learning Japanese, but I'm no where near good enough to be able to say I speak Japanese <_<

Up and Adam

I put 3, though that might be a bit of a stretch. My mother tongue is English, and I speak good French. The third one is German, which I'm pretty rusty with, but I reckon I could get by.

I'm currently learning Japanese, but I haven't counted that because I can barely string a sentence together. :P

DracoBorealis

I speak Finnish (obviously), English (with American, British, Russian and Scottish accents, and in a way similar the Na'vi do in Avatar), German, Swedish (both with variable -and questionable- success) and a little bit Latin.

• 2 weeks later...
MiserableGuest

Chose 3. I can speak English and Swahili quite well. I'm in the process of learning French & I can read, understand and speak it fairly well.

Hi, I'm only fluent in spanish and english but I just love japanese and korean n.n someday I hope to learn those :D

Everyone wants to learn Japanese until they start to learn Japanese.

• 2 weeks later...
The-district-sleeps

I only know English but, I guess you could say I speak 1.2 because I'm learning French but all I can do is greet people :P

BookwormKaoru

Oh geez. Just the thought of speaking 6 or more languages makes my head hurt... I can only speak English

But, I have a very large desire to learn and know these languages:

Spanish

Japanese

Korean

Sign Language

Actually... I don't want to know Spanish... But I've already taken two years of it, so why not? I should've taken French... It interests me so much more... Oh... Dang... If I add French to that list and I learned them all it would be six...

Gah! My head!

Alphaprocess

As well as English I'm pretty much fluent in Spanish and French. I also speak a bit of Catalan, Italian, and German, and the rudiments of Greek and Portuguese. I selected '3' as my answer though quite possibly it should be somewhere between 4 and 6 - the trouble is that I don't really know how good my 'secondary' set of languages are. Although I've been told that my Italian is better than that of a British relative of mine who's been married to an Italian woman for 30 years (in the UK) - presumably he'd never really bothered learning her language!

My native language is Spanish. Gallician is supposed to be also my native language, but between none of my family speaking it and an undecided normative, I mangle it up no matter what I try. I need practice.

I have too much gaps to consider myself fluent in English (mostly spekaing it, and lately, I find I have to stop very often to think the next words. Maybe I'm being too self-conscious.)

I also studied Esperanto on my own, but I mostly practiced it in the intimacy of my mind and notebooks. And even that, very few. I also tend to freeze when someone says me "Can you say something in Esperanto?" (like what... hello?).

I'd love to learn Japanese but I haven't had the patience to study it on my own or with classes, with the university and such. I'm also interested in Lojban, but that's because of my attraction for self-claiming systematical, simple world languages. I wish there was a world language like that.

Alphaprocess

My native language is Spanish. Gallician is supposed to be also my native language, but between none of my family speaking it and an undecided normative, I mangle it up no matter what I try. I need practice.

I have too much gaps to consider myself fluent in English (mostly spekaing it, and lately, I find I have to stop very often to think the next words. Maybe I'm being too self-conscious.)

I also studied Esperanto on my own, but I mostly practiced it in the intimacy of my mind and notebooks. And even that, very few. I also tend to freeze when someone says me "Can you say something in Esperanto?" (like what... hello?).

I'd love to learn Japanese but I haven't had the patience to study it on my own or with classes, with the university and such. I'm also interested in Lojban, but that's because of my attraction for self-claiming systematical, simple world languages. I wish there was a world language like that.

By an 'undecided normative' do you mean that there are a lot of different forms and it is not clear which version to learn?

I once worked in an office in London where one of the staff was a Spanish national and she would sometimes be on the phone to one of her family. It took me a while to figure out what language she was speaking but it turned out to be Galician.

Partly.

I mean that every year or so, a list of small but obtrusive changes gets accepted. Like.. imagine changing the vowel from "Thank you" and pronouncing "Thunk you", or adapting some words to sound more Portuguese. Stuff like that.

It's also true that there are a lot of local variants that the Academy that governs Gallician leaves alone, and I've known many speakers who are at odds with some of the changes. So they speak what they always spoke, in a mixture of Spanish and Gallician that changes between city and city.

It's reached a point that it's useless even discussing which is the "real" Gallician. We can't even check old literature, we have a blank of four centuries in which it only was spoken, and during the last years it was straight forbidden. It started to being used only... forty years? ago.

Nothing helps.

Alphaprocess

Partly.

I mean that every year or so, a list of small but obtrusive changes gets accepted. Like.. imagine changing the vowel from "Thank you" and pronouncing "Thunk you", or adapting some words to sound more Portuguese. Stuff like that.

It's also true that there are a lot of local variants that the Academy that governs Gallician leaves alone, and I've known many speakers who are at odds with some of the changes. So they speak what they always spoke, in a mixture of Spanish and Gallician that changes between city and city.

It's reached a point that it's useless even discussing which is the "real" Gallician. We can't even check old literature, we have a blank of four centuries in which it only was spoken, and during the last years it was straight forbidden. It started to being used only... forty years? ago.

Nothing helps.

I see what you mean. Catalan by contrast would have the advantage that the Barcelona / Central Catalan form tends to dominate although Valencian / Mallorquí etc. are used locally.

Bye Bye Birdy

Just English, I'm afraid. I'm a Classics major, so my reading ability in Latin and Ancient Greek is pretty high, but I couldn't speak them. My Italian is only so-so.

Alphaprocess

I also looked at Toki Pona, a conlang with only 123 words (although those are more 'root' words, it combines words to produce new ones). It was developed by Sonja Elen Kisa who describes herself as "a language enthusiast, world traveller, intercultural communicator, explorer of spirituality and consciousness, queer woman, and survivor of depression and anxiety."

http://en.tokipona.org/wiki/What_is_Toki_Pona%3F

One of my Flash Fictions was even translated into Toki Pona:

http://forums.tokipona.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1590

Mr. Shuttershy

Hm. I voted 3.

I speak English, Swedish, and Finnish. However, I understand Danish and Norwegian because of Swedish, so I didn't count those.

Ai Elbereth!

Wow! I'm surprised at the amount of people who can speak German, or at least some German.

I voted three. I speak fluent English and German and decent enough French to survive in Paris for a while.

I was going to add Sindarin, but it wouldn't count as I cannot really speak a language fluently that is incomplete.

Voted 2 - Finnish and English. I should be able to speak Swedish, too (been a mandatory subject in school) but because I've never actually needed the language for anything, I can't speak a word of it anymore. So I didn't count it. Also, I've been studying Esperanto, but I don't yet count myself to be nearly fluent enough in it.

Permafrost Industries©

1) Norsk

2) German

3) English

4? chinese (just a bit)

Permafrost Industries©

Just from this topic, I'm surprised at the number of scandinavian/nordic speakers there are on this forum

justinquisitive

Counted two,

1. Slovak (my native)

2. English (have been living in England for over 12 years)

I must mention that Slovak is very close to Czech so I can communicate in both (I don't count it as another foreign language though)

Living in London I realized just how much Polish is close to Slovak too.

I can say that I can understand about 70-80% when I hear native polish speakers.

I am learning Arabic (MSA) at the moment - more like a long term goal (no one to practice with).

Also I love the sound of Italian, who knows one day I might give it a go :rolleyes:

English only. Unlikely to change.

As far as I'm concerned, English is enough of a handful to learn. So much about the language makes no goddamn sense.

Radioactive Goat

1 (English) :v

I'm working on learning German, French and Welsh, though. Maybe Russian.

Finnish and English as my first languages, plus Swedish, French and Spanish. I'd love to learn Russian and Catalan!

Wild Seven

Three fluently, six enough to read in them, two more sign I'm able to catch the gist of in specific topics, studying or having studied far more through ages.

(The fluent ones are Czech, Slovak and English, the other languages are Spanish, Portuguese & Brazilian Portuguese, French).

Uh. I still want to get better in Spanish and Japanese, and Japanese Sign Language though. I also want to learn more of Danish and Dutch, I liked the languages a lot when visiting those countries and they were easier to study thanks to some background in German.

Archived