How many languages do you speak?

SillyLily

1. 1. How many languages do you speak?

• 6+

This poll is closed to new votes

akanesarumara

First language/mother tongue: Hungarian.

Foreign languages: English (quite fluent), German (quite fluent, although I shoud brush up on my conversation skills), and there are several languages I understand some things of, like (mostly spoken) Japanese and a very little of French

• 2 weeks later...
Chrysanthalis

My first language is English. I know some French; my understanding of grammar is pretty good, I've been told repeatedly that my accent is great, but my vocabulary is pathetic. I'm too self-conscious to practice with actual people most of the time. (Does anyone know of any good place on the internet where I can practice, by the way?)

I've made some attempts to learn a few other languages (Japanese, Welsh, Romanian) but I haven't gotten very far for various reasons.

I really need to find some good language learning tools.

Also I'm taking every single language class I can get my hands on in college. :-P

Mistoffelees

English, Russian, Ukrainian, Hebrew, Esperanto (mostly forgotten) and learning German.

German, Greek, English, French, Spanish, Latin. I also understand written Italian almost perfectly (I can read comic books without any trouble at all) and I can generally guess what a (written) Dutch or Portuguese sentence is about.

English , Basic Spanish and a tad bit of Korean -.-

I answered three : French (my mother tongue), English and Spanish.

But I also studied Italian and Japanese at school.

Chrysanthalis

Do computer languages count? ;)

I vote yes.

English and a little French. (Though, having learned French in school, I should be more fluent in French than I am).

ieatpumpkinpie

English and German. However my German is very rusty as I haven't practiced in a long while.

cleuchtturm

English and German. However my German is very rusty as I haven't practiced in a long while.

Ich auch. Ich fuehl mich schlecht. :(

I speak Finnish, English and some Swedish. I have also studied French, but I’m not good at it anymore.

I'm a native English speaker but I'm nearly fluent in Italian.

I hope to learn Icelandic one day, too. (:

Chrysanthalis

I hope to learn Icelandic one day, too. (:

That is really cool! :D

I speak two. Both Japanese and English. I speak a little Spanish and Italian but not enough to say I can actually speak them.

I'd say 2.5. Fluent English, decent French, fairly basic German. My ability in other languages is far too basic to count :P

Janus the Fox

Only one, but I wish I was fluent in my own native welsh language :( 

I put 4: English, French, German, and Italian. :D

If I actually stick to it, I can probably finish with Esperanto in a month or two (making 5, woot!)

I'm also currently studying Chinese and Japanese, and when I'm done with those, I'll have tons of other languages to go through...

If it were possible, I would probably marry the abstract concept of language. XD

I speak english and spanish. I understand some french, most italian and portugese, and I speak physics.

• 2 weeks later...

I am as fluent as I can be* in English and I am mostly fluent in German. I took three semesters of French, but I don't know how much of it I've retained. Because of my doubt in my French, I chose the "2" option.

*Explanation: Personally, I don't feel that anyone could be perfectly fluent in any language, as there will always be words which people do not know. Then again, I also realize that my definition of "fluent" does not match with the dictionary definition, but I stand by my statement.

As for those of you learning Esperanto - where/how are you doing this? Ever since I found out about it, I've been curious. I would love to learn it, as well.

I speak English as my native tongue, and can communicate effectively in Japanese. I am also currently learning both Hebrew and French.

Måskemigselvetsted

I can obviously communicate in written English (if not, I would probably have left the site by now. Unless all I think I'm writing actually are nonsense and I don't understand it when people try to tell me?) and oral, too. Still studying it (in school) even though I feel like I'm moving nowhere.

Danish, my mother tongue, of course.

And some French, which I'm working on improving, but not enough that I have the confidence to vote "three".

And what's that about learning useful languages? My language-learning-wish-list consist predominantly af unuseful languages. It's going to be hard to decide which one to choose after I have taken French to a level where I would be content with having one more languages to learn (because I'm not planning to stop with neither French or English nor Danish) - probably the one I feel for at the moment. :)

The Great WTF

English is my first language and I'm decent at Japanese. I can swear in about ten languages (multilingual father who thought it was funny to teach his three year old to cuss in Gaelic at customers) but otherwise I don't know anything from those languages.

Trava u doma

I went ahead and voted "3". I speak my native language, obviously, I'm quite okay with English (the worst is with speaking, though - never had much occasion to, to be honest...)

And, well... German, so-so. It used to be better only recently (like half a year? I've been for a week to Germany for a student exchange, where I talked only German and it helped a LOT), but then I totally stopped using it and it's somewhat rusty now >.>

I'v also been learning some Russian (a love of mine).

Archived