How many languages do you speak?

SillyLily

1. 1. How many languages do you speak?

• 6+

This poll is closed to new votes

I can only speak English and Afrikaans fluently, but I can understand Dutch and German quite well too. Picked up and learned a little Japanese here and there too :)

Well, let's see, fluent in:

- BASIC

- FORTRAN

- Pascal

- Assembly languages - 6502 / 68000 (processors popular before most folks on this board were born)

- C

Some exposure to:

- Matlab

- C++

- Java

No exposure to:

- Cobol

If you meant human-human rather than human-machine languages:

- English

- can read French fairly well, can massacre it with ease while speaking it

- a bit of Swedish and Danish

:)

If I counted computer languages, then I'd be in the 6+ category for sure! And don't forget HTML.

forbidden_moose

English

French

Polari

some Cockney Rhyming slang, nadsat.

basic HTML, German, Italian,

• 2 weeks later...
messofcontradictions

3! :D

1.French was my first language/mother tongue.

2.English is my native language (I speak it a bit better than French, and write it a TON better).

3.Spanish, which I'm learning at school and can understand and even write much better than I can speak xD.

Well, I'm an ignorant American, so technically I'm not fluent in any language. I put one, though, because I have passable skill in speaking English, if American English counts as actual English.

English, Japanese, and Sindarin. Some Quenya. If you count those last two, that is. Oh, and I can speak a lil bit of spanish..but not enoug to count.

Teach me! Those are the only two languages that I might actually put in the effort to learn.

I speak English and Chinese fluently. I know a smattering of other languages (like French), but wouldn't consider them as a languages that I know. Even though I studied French for 7 years, I'm not comfortable speaking it for fear of ridicule.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm okay when it comes to English, my Irish is pretty good but thats because I've been forced to learn the silly thing since I was three.

Other Languages, ammm I can speak German badly, I can translate it grand, I just can't pronounce the words when speaking it -__-

~Rawr

Daniel

1. modern Greek

2. English

3. Japanese (still learning process)

• 2 weeks later...

I primarily speak English. I've studied both French and Latin for multiple years, and can speak a decent amount of both...even if it is kinda limited. I'm also currently studying how to speak Finnish, and can speak a tiny bit of it at the moment.

On a less serious note, which I don't count toward my known languages, I also speak Dinosaur Rawr and the Four Languages Previously Known Only to Dolphins. :ph34r:

My native language is English and I am learning French, enough to maybe maybe pick out a few words in a conversation but I don't think I could- communicate- quite yet. Language-in-training. I think French is amazing though.

English is my native language, and I'm learning German and Japanese at school. I've studied German longer and feel more comfortable reading in it, but I feel better speaking in Japanese, even though my vocabulary's more limited (just have had more practice). I can hold a decent conversation (plus copious grammatical mistakes, I'm sure) in both languages, though, so that's something.

I also took a year of Irish, but I've forgotten a lot of it... And I also can read Middle High German--not fluently, but enough for comprehension. Because that's useful. :P

And I also can read Middle High German--not fluently, but enough for comprehension. Because that's useful. :P

Cool! I've never really understood people who learn only languages that are useful, dead languages and indigenious languages with weird grammars are much more fun to learn. :D

I speak English and German fluently. Although German is my native language, I feel more comfortable reading books/watching movies etc. in English. I have no clue why, though :P

Also, I studied French and Spanish several years in school and I understand both quite well. (Not so well at speaking them...)

I also took Latin lessons for a year and have been teaching myself Japanese for a couple years now. That's a total of 6 even though I'm only really good in 2 languages.

2 if English is counted in my case. 3 if also my dialect counts, they say that there is so huge difference to main language that it is already totally different language.

And I also can read Middle High German--not fluently, but enough for comprehension. Because that's useful. :P

Cool! I've never really understood people who learn only languages that are useful, dead languages and indigenious languages with weird grammars are much more fun to learn. :D

Exacly! Glad to hear I'm not the only one, haha. My general philosophy is that I'll gladly learn any language, as long as it's not "practical." :P They're just so interesting! Knowledge for knowledge's sake is a wonderful and underrated thing.

The list of languages I've attempted to pick up from starting from when I was about 10 include Welsh, Sindarin, Klingon, Polish, and Old English... the last of which I do plan to actually study seriously someday soon. It seems I'm wired to be linguistically useless, haha.

English and spanish fluently, French to a certain degree and some japanese.

• 2 weeks later...

I can ask for beer and the toilet in 18 languages

I can also speak fluent bullshit

charlietango

I counted two for English and British Sign Language. I didn't know we were counting regional dialects (Scots - my first language probably ^_^ ), or computers (I know BASIC and HTML...And I can write a mean cascading style sheet... Ahem). Actually, now that I think about it, I was taught French for six years. I just managed to forget it all within the space of about a week. :lol:

AnyOtherName

I'm gonna go with 2.4.

1) English (native speaker)

2) Japanese (in my second year of study, so I can converse passably. Access to a dictionary helps a lot. >.>)

3) Spanish (semi-fluent in high school before I stopped studying. I could pick it up again after a few refresher lessons.)

Vampyremage

Only English unless you count a handful of words and phrases I can speak in Japanese.

• 10 months later...

Italian (native tongue), english, scolastic german, scolastic mandarin chinese. Of course I can understand at least a bit of spanish, but just because it's quite similar to italian; I never studied it.

My native language is English and, as we seem to be including dialects, I'm fluent in Yorkshire. :P Despite that, I've been told on numerous occasions that my accent is 'southern'. XD In terms of other languages, I spent seven years studying Spanish so I'm pretty fluent in that, and I can speak bits and pieces of German and Japanese. Also, I'm currently in the process of learning Latin and I'd love to learn Italian at some point! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I speak italian as first language and english well enough to hang out here.

I understand spanish and i can speak a bit but i answered 2 anyway.

Archived