• ENFJ
    • INTJ
    • INFJ
    • ENTP
    • ENFP
    • INTP
    • INFP

This poll is closed to new votes

I've seen the topic of MBTI type come up a few times on the forums, and I love discussing it. I used to post a lot over at Typology Central's forums, until I realized it was mostly comprised of people who want to use their MBTI type to feel superior to others of other personality types. (Ex. "My ESTJ ex-boyfriend is so hateful!!11 All ESTJs must be!!1")

I don't really like that sort of typing, because it's just not valid. 16 boxes ain't enough to fit everyone into, but it's fun to play around with, and maybe see how the other person sees themselves. I've taken a wide variety of personality tests myself, and I usually test as INFP, with all of my preferences being pretty clear except the "F".

I've also taken other tests, like the Big 5 and Enneagram. I'm an Enneagram type 9 and on the Big 5, I scored very high in Openness and Agreeability, and low on Extraversion, Conscientiousness, and Neuroticism.

Baroness Peron

I have the feeling we're going to get a really disproportionate amount of introverted intuitives. It is the internet after all!

(INTP pride.)

Oh, and on the Enneagram I'm an 8-9 (Challenger/Peacemaker...seems contradictory, but that's precisely what I am!) and on the Big Five the only one I scored high on was Openness.

INTJ

I'm slightly surprised that there have been NO Extroverts in your polling thus far, but I think that's pretty much par for the course online. :rolleyes:

Moved from JFF to Census

+CreepyHat JFF co-mod

Thanks for the move Smugleaf :) I'm still new, so I'm not familiar with all the different forums yet.

Professor T. Pollution

I am always amused whenever someone brings up the 'you can't fit everyone into 16 boxes' argument. No, you can't — and that's not the point of it. The point is that the majority of people will tend to fit (more or less accurately) into one or more of the categories, which may help them think about themselves differently or realize something about themselves. It's not intended to shove every person into an unbreakable box which they can't escape, or anything melodramatic. It's simply a rough tool which applies to the vast majority of people. There will obviously always be outliers when you talk about humans, but that doesn't mean we can't make any statements/tests/diagnoses/etc based on the majority. If you don't fit it, well, whoopee for you I guess. If you do, well, fine.

I wish statistics classes were mandatory in elementary/high school.

I am always amused whenever someone brings up the 'you can't fit everyone into 16 boxes' argument. No, you can't — and that's not the point of it. The point is that the majority of people will tend to fit (more or less accurately) into one or more of the categories, which may help them think about themselves differently or realize something about themselves. It's not intended to shove every person into an unbreakable box which they can't escape, or anything melodramatic. It's simply a rough tool which applies to the vast majority of people. There will obviously always be outliers when you talk about humans, but that doesn't mean we can't make any statements/tests/diagnoses/etc based on the majority. If you don't fit it, well, whoopee for you I guess. If you do, well, fine.

I wish statistics classes were mandatory in elementary/high school.

I agree, and what you said is pretty much how I feel about the MBTI. It is a useful tool for self-evaluation and understanding oneself more. But what I've seen at the other forum I've mentioned is people using that tool to discriminate against others on the basis of types, labeling people with bad behaviors as being of a certain type, making wide generalizations about groups of people that belong to a certain type, and other such things. There are 16 boxes there, and as long as people recognize that it is a rough tool, not one that is going to tell you the exact positive and negative attributes of a person's personality, then it is useful. But as with any labeling system, people take it to an extreme and misuse it in order to further their own misconceptions about others. That's what I don't like.

If I try to merge two threads that both have polls I think that it will probably mess up the votes, so, until I can come up with a better idea, here is a link to another poll that we have about this same topic:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?/topic/45345-mbti-types-and-asexuality/page__st__30__gopid__1727541#entry1727541

-gb (being modly for a change :P )

About five years ago, I got really into online personality tests, even though most were simple ones with results like, "you're not cool; try to party more." But I've taken the MB test, or at least, some version of it maybe five times now, three since I started to remember what some of it meant after I logged off. As you can see from my signature, I test ENTJ. That was in September, or October of this year. What's the opposite of N, like what does it stand for?

I've never been good at making friends, partially because conforming tends to be low on my list of ideals and I spent many school years with my parents and their friends, Other 12-year-olds went to sleep overs and I went to retirement parties. LOL I love reading, writing, drawing, studying, watching TV and doing research. At the moment, being a hermit doesn't sound so bad to me. I have one young friend that I'm in contact with often and a few more I e-mail occasionally and haven't seen in years, although I would like to. I also have two parents and some other acquaintances who are kind of cool. I hope to be a professional someday and it would be nice to have friends at the office, but for now, my almost nonexistent social life is very satisfactory for me.

At the same time, I can remember during the retirement party era, wishing desperately I had some friends around my age to do whatever it was young people did, as long as it wasn't talk about sex, crushes, rap music, or make-up. I'm a bit frank, which doesn't seem to be an enduring quality to people I meet and some social graces seem ridiculous to me. However, I'm not shy. I don't mind meeting new people and I love to talk. I heard on Friday, I think it was, that Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) spoke for 7.5 hours on the floor. My mom asked, "Who could do that?" And I answered, "Me." And I don't mind doing social activities.

So I'm sort of androgynous with the first letter, I guess.

My godmother once accused me of being introverted, like it's a bad thing. I said I'ld tested otherwise, but she treated that like an in denial response and went on to tell me that I always had---what's the term?---emotional exhaustion--?--after hanging out with people. I didn't and had never heard of such a thing. But, the last few times I've had any sort of social engagement, I was kind of exhausted, but more so physically and I suspect it's due to my declining health .Anyway, I'm consistent, it's not like I have split personalities, but I have traits of both sides of the spectrum.

The N I'm curious about because I don't think of myself as intuitive so much. The T is very me, especially on an F-T spectrum. The J fits well, too, I guess.

I'm interested in seeing what correlation asexuality has to MB type, like someone else here mentioned. My IQ is over 130 and only 25% of 130+ers are extroverted. I think in the general population, it's reversed, but I may be remembering that incorrectly. Anyway, it's interesting to see how different labels from different categories correspond. I wonder if there's a trend like that among we 1% aces. Of course, not everyone here is ace...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

INTP/J :)

I did not vote, but i looked the results and it's crazy how represented in this poll INTJ/P are since only 3-4% of people are INTJ (respectively INTP)

Archived