In The Village Voice

Siggy

"Asexuals have problems too!"

The article is satirical, so it's up for interpretation whether it is positive or negative. Probably negative.

But more interestingly, it was originally written in 1971! It's part of a daily feature on The Voice which shows excerpts from the news archives.

Okay, that was kind of hilarious. ^_^ Yes, it occasionally confuses 'asexual' with 'agender', but a lot of the complaints sound like they could be written by a genuine ace right here at AVEN. I didn't realize we had any kind of presence in the queer dialogue of the 70s, even a satirical one.

Lord Happy Toast

This is a fantastic find! I've found some later stuff in the Village Voice from later that decade (it's linked somewhere on AVEN), but this is probably the earliest piece on asexuality that I've seen so far.

I found especially interested that "asexual" was used both in the sense of sexual=sexual desire and sexual=having a sex/gender; in current terminology, we'd definitely contrast these. (Although describing it as "confusing" asexual and agender, as StoryWitch has, strikes me as somewhat anachronistic.) Given that there does tend to be a fairly large number of agender people in the asexual community--and early asexuals had to come up with a concept of "asexuality" with themself as the only example they knew of--it makes me wonder if the author (or the person they were basing this off of) was both asexual and agender.

Are you sure that Harold Nederland is a real person? Ze could just be a fictional character for the purposes of satire.