Novels

mimstrel

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any works of fiction where a main character or primary supporting character is openly asexual.

Especially if they're romantic asexual (whatever orientation of romantic).

I feel like we need some more novels like this especially in the teen-YA ranges. The past few years I keep hoping to find a book where somebody is in or welcomes a romantic relationship(s) but shares my opinion regarding sex, and I haven't come up with anything. Granted I read mostly fantasy so there might be something out there in other genres.

I know a bunch of people on this forum are doing NaNoWriMo... if we can't think of any (or many) good existing novels, maybe we can start an Ace writer's group and someone on here can get something published or even self-publish and publicize with the help of others on here.

Sure, it'll probably never hit main-stream anything, but I can't help wishing that I'd found a book like that when I was a teen and feeling like a horrible freak and being teased and bullied because I just wasn't interested in sex.

The only book I know ( that has been published by an actual company) is Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey. You can read more about the book in the thread made for it.

He is not the main character, but he is a side character and it has a pretty big part in what happens in the beginning! I really liked it.

Besides that I don't know.

I was just thinking about this and wishing I'd thought of this before November started! Oh well, next year I'm definitely writing an ace romance.

For your question, I can't think of any. I can think of a few Christian ones where the sex isn't described or it doesn't occur because they aren't married yet, but nothing asexual.

Violet_Loves_Iliona

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any works of fiction where a main character or primary supporting character is openly asexual.

Especially if they're romantic asexual (whatever orientation of romantic).

Hello,

Have you heard of "People Of The Bone" by Kerri Hulme? It's not YA, but one of the three characters is Ace, and the author herself is also openly asexual.

Plus, it won the booker prize, which is a very prestigious prize for literature.

And, strangely enough, it is also a New Zealand book, which incorporates Maori myth & imagery - something it has in common with the other Ace book we've been discussing... I'm sensing a pattern here! :)

Here is a review from Library Journal, cut & pasted from my library's catalogue entry:

This is quite a first novel. The ending is revealed at its mysterious beginning; exotic line breaks and poetic punctuation put off at first but gradually become the best way to tell the tale; the Maori vocabulary is interwoven with contemporary British, Australian, and American idioms; and the New Zealand sea- and landscape vibrate under fresh perception. Hulme shifts narrative points of view to build a gripping account of violence, love, death, magic, and redemption. A silverhaired, mute, abused orphan, a laborer heavy with sustained loss, and a brilliant introspective recluse discover, after enormous struggle through injury and illness, what it means to lose and then regain a family. No wonder The Bone People won the Pegasus Prize.

There's also a (self-published) novel called Shades of Gay which is meant to have a prominent asexual side character, discussed here.

Relatedly, I was contacted a few months ago by an agent who asked me if I would be interested in writing a novel about the sexual lack of awakening of an asexual teenager, which I am now doing (discussed here). I have no idea if/when it will be published, but I am writing one and that is the goal.