Curiosity Poll: Romantic Asexuals

Luca Leppi

Romantic Asexuals  

1. 1. What is your gender and your romantic preferences?

• Male--Heteroromantic
    • Male--Biromantic
    • Male--Panromantic
    • Male--Homoromantic
    • Female--Heteroromantic
    • Female--Biromantic
    • Female--Panromantic
    • Female--Homoromantic
    • Either gender--Aromantic (This poll wasn't for you, anyway... >_>)

This poll is closed to new votes

So I'm a little bit curious as to how the asexy community is divided up. From what I've noticed from forum looking, there appears to be many females who cross the board on all romantic orientations, and there are not as many spread out males (appears that heteroromanticism is most popular with guys). Outside of the aromantic community, I am just curious to know where you lie on this scale.

I apologize for what may seem like such a prying question, but in actuality, it's not all that bad. You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but then again, unless you actually post here, I won't be able to tell who is associated with what answers.

Just answer with your actual birth gender, (gender-neutral self-identifiers only self-identify, and people who believe that they should be another gender should just stick with what they were born as) and what your romantic preference is, to get a glimpse of the community. And if it's not too much, please reply and explain why you chose what you chose.

I personally, am male, and biromantic (although I personally prefer guys over girls romantically, but I'm not one to choose). I say biromantic because I have previously and currently experienced romantic attraction to members of both the male and female gender. However, I prefer males because I tend to identify with other guys better.

I dunno if I picked the appropriate forum, but I think this is okay.

Stormy Wether

At least try to get a handle on the gender variance thing before you do things like this :(

I can't help you with your poll because I'm not represented.

@Henny: I was sure there was already something like this, but couldn't find it. I keep mine up here because of the gender differences.

@woolyjumpers: I realize this. However, polls only offer so many slots, and because there are more of us in the main two categories, then that is what the poll will consist of. I apologize, but if I were to go back and change the final option to other, then people who had voted for that section will not be appropriately represented. :/

@woolyjumpers: I realize this. However, polls only offer so many slots, and because there are more of us in the main two categories, then that is what the poll will consist of. I apologize, but if I were to go back and change the final option to other, then people who had voted for that section will not be appropriately represented. :/

Thank you for that, but ...

Just answer with your actual birth gender, (gender-neutral self-identifiers only self-identify, and people who believe that they should be another gender should just stick with what they were born as)

As more than a few of the transgender members on this site identify with the gender they wish they can transition to, rather than their birth gender, I strongly suggest that you re-think this sentence.

I clicked Female-biromantic but I'm more demi-biromantic if you want specifics.

Also, what about the Yada people?

ETA: I just saw you're wanting people to go with the stuff between their legs. That is... WTF? And even still, it isn't like that's a binary either.

Just answer with your actual birth gender, (gender-neutral self-identifiers only self-identify, and people who believe that they should be another gender should just stick with what they were born as)

As more than a few of the transgender members on this site identify with the gender they wish they can transition to, rather than their birth gender, I strongly suggest that you re-think this sentence.

I agree. Gender is an identify, sex is a "what you were born as." You cannot believe yourself to be another gender, but simply identify with a gender/sex you were not assigned at birth. It's not a matter of wishful thinking or self-delusion, but of a feeling of association and how you should be. Using bodies to determine how people should identify or be treated is exceptionally unwise.

Moving to Census forum. Please continue to post your comments.

- NigelFt, Musings and Rantings Co-Moderator.

I think I might be biromantic, but since I've only had hetero relationships so far I put myself as heteromantic.

Gho St Ory Qwan

I'm genderqueer so I don't fit in. =[

And yeah, gender isn't what you're born with. I don't think babies have [gender and otherwise] identification if anything I learnt in developmental psychology was right...

I think I might be biromantic, but since I've only had hetero relationships so far I put myself as heteromantic.

Heh, I'm kinda like that. I'm possibly panromantic, but given I've only met a few genderqueer folk (and given the number of crushes I've had on men and women are pretty low) I couldn't say for sure so I go with biromantic. Minute I get a crush on someone outside the binary, I'm happy to change that part of the label.

Oh, dear! I accidentally clicked "Female Homoromantic", but my intended answer was "Female Heteroromantic". Apologies for widening the margin of error! :blush:

I should perhaps add a caveat - I very rarely experience romantic attraction (indeed, I haven't since my mid teenage years), and it's not very strong when it comes along, but the targets have so far all been male. I'm beginning to wonder if I might be borderline aromantic, to be honest, since I don't seek out or desire romantic partnership at all. Ah, well, who knows what will arise!

I'll finish this post by adding to the growing clamour of voices demanding (read: politely requesting) that allowance be made in the poll for the genderqueer among us. Come now!

Hugs to all, Sain!

Luca, there really is a huge difference between sex and gender. Sex can be determined in two basic ways - by a person's genitalia and other secondary sexual characteristics, or by their chromosomes. Sometimes the two can appear to be completely opposite. In any case, it is a person's sex which is already established at birth, not their gender.

To put it into easily understood (although very incomplete) binary terms: sex = male or female; gender = masculine or feminine

Just to complicate things even more, there is gender identity and gender expression. One is inward-directed and one is outward-directed. (Again, this is over-simplified, but the basic gist of it is true.) There is no particular reason why these two aspects of gender should have to match and, in fact, they often don't.

AVENites are all over the map, both sex-wise and gender-wise, so there will be a lot of members who can't answer your poll because of the way that it is worded. (myself included)

-gb

Archived