FINNISH/FINNISH SPEAKING AVENITES

BabySquare

ok, so I'm still on the hunt for a bilingual dictionary that deals with both English and Finnish, and I'm had practically no luck in Finding a British one, here in the UK, probably because hardly anyone here speaks Finnish, but I've had a thought:

While hardly any Brits speak Finnish, the majority of Finns speak English, and often very very well, so I'm now wondering if it is possible to get a bilingual dictionary in Finland, or to be more specific, its ISBN number.

So, here's where I need some help:

Dear Avenites who either are Finnish or who speak Finnish, could you please either tell me the name/s of some large book stores or the name of a chain of book stores in Finland? or indeed could you recommend to me a good English-Finnish/Finnish-English dictionary?

I'm hoping that if I can get the name of a well known Finnish book store/chain of book stores, they'll probably have a website that I can go on (I can use a translation site to navigate my way around) where hopefully they'll sell such a dictionary, from which I can find out the ISBN number so I order it here in the UK!

could anyone assist me in this matter please?

You could ask Pugnacioun (edit: he's Charlie the Zombie Unicorn for Halloween) for a recommendation, he has at least a grammar and, if I remember correctly, also a dictionary. I've also found Wiktionary quite useful. Dictionary is "sanakirja" in Finnish, look for Suomi-Englanti or Englanti-Suomi.

Dictionaries at Akateeminen kirjakauppa (page is in English). Looks like this or this could be what you're looking for. Another big chain is Suomalainen kirjakauppa and then there's a Skandinavian webstore Bookplus.fi, which is partly in Swedish.

I'm a Finn so I hope I could help you out too. The links provided above are good references as well, might want to check them out.

Well, you could always use the free online dictionaries, like http://www.sanakirja.org/ or http://kaannos.com/. In order to use them, just put English to one field and Finnish to the other (Finnish is called suomi in our language, which you might find useful here) :)

Or if you'd like the ISBN of a common but very profound English-Finnish-English dictionary (I've used it among others for years); 951-0-18435-7 or 951-0-18434-9. The former refers to the Finnish-English side and the latter to the English-Finnish translation.

Glad someone's once in a while interested in our language :D

. . .but there are sounds

I have made forays into learning Finnish myself, it is such a pretty sounding language, but I am hopeless at learning languages as it is and there are soooo many conjugations. : D

Perhaps someday I will gather enough initiative to make another go.

Kiitos paljon for all your help everyone.

I checked out those links and they look very promising.

I've also found 18 possible resources on Amazon, which I'll have to read the reviews for, and I found some Finnish courses on Livemocha.

and, for when I've learn enough to read a newspaper, I've found http://www.hs.fi/

Like I said, thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

• 9 months later...
DracoBorealis

I will gladly help with any translation problems if needed :)

Edit// Sorry, I didn't notice it was an old thread!

Archived