Induced Asexuality

VeritasVosLiberabit

Also, it sounds like you are attempting to invalidate asexuality when you yourself are admitting you haven't done enough research, whilst alluding that once you do you will have proper reason to debunk asexuality.

under_the_radar

nihilism =/= existentialism

I think we have a college student or someone with a research assignment on out hands... :ph34r:

VeritasVosLiberabit

What you're saying would mean that straight men just because they aren't sexually attracted to other men would develop a "lack of empathy" towards other men and become sociopaths. Same with straight women towards other women and so on with all other sexual orientations. :rolleyes:

There is no asexual psyche. It is a lack of sexual attraction, nothing more, nothing less. Anything else is individual.

Let me ask you this: Are the only people you feel empathy towards those you are attracted to? If so then maybe you're the sociopath.

Oh, and we're not lab animals to be studied.

The laws of attraction are not that simple. Men may not be sexually attracted to each other but similar mechanisms occur when one feel loves or interest for someone regardless of gender. A complete lack of attraction would mean a lack of this mechanism altogether. And yes there 'is' an asexual psyche whether you agree or not. If you all share this common trait, then there is an underlying cause for this lack of attraction, even if there are multiple means of getting to the same result (much like homosexuality). And no, I do not believe you are lab animals to be studied but everyone studies everyone. If you are making any observation about someone, you are essentially studying them. And to CM, I am simply looking for enlightenment of the true nature of human asexualism, and if I believe it deserves debunking, then yes, I will debunk it. And under_the_radar, I am aware nihilism and existenialism are different, but nihilism simply can mean the rejection of commonly accepted societal norms, such as love, good vs. evil, etc. My life philosophies are more closely associated with existentialism but this does not mean that everything I have come to know that is true fits into one neat philosophy. The dual nature of reality could not really permit such a thing.

We only colletively lack sexual attraction, not other kinds of attraction. Asexuals can experience familial love, platonic love with friends, romantic attraction, aesthetic attraction...

The laws of attraction are not that simple.

Yes, the laws of sexual attraction are that simple. You need to distinguish what kind of attraction you're talking about. Asexuality is about not being sexually attracted to people. That's all. It is not about not being attracted in other ways (although there're aromantic people, but they can still be attracted to others, just not romantically).

Edit: Sorry, Acer, we posted simultaneously about the same thing.

Stormy Wether
and if I believe it deserves debunking, then yes, I will debunk it.

How very kind of you to suggest that almost everyone here may be deluded about their own real life experience *rolls eyes*

under_the_radar

The dual nature of reality could not really permit such a thing.

It also doesn't permit you to understand the feelings or sensations others experience especially in the perspective experienced by the individual. Your wish to debunk or make yourself asexual based on vicarious assumptions and conditioning would be nothing more than another illusion in actuality.

Do you see how all of your philosophical statements appear to be oxymorons? I'm not trying to attack you, but am trying to understand why or what has caused this desire to trump a philosophical catch 22...

VeritasVosLiberabit

It also doesn't permit you to understand the feelings or sensations others experience especially in the perspective experienced by the individual. Your wish to debunk or make yourself asexual based on vicarious assumptions and conditioning would be nothing more than another illusion in actuality.

Do you see how all of your philosophical statements appear to be oxymorons? I'm not trying to attack you, but am trying to understand why or what has caused this desire to trump a philosophical catch 22...

Actually it would be incredibly simple to understand the nature of someone who claims to be asexual if I truly was interested in conducting a scientific experiment. Studying someone's brain activity as well as watching them throughout there everyday life for a while would clearly demonstrate the truth. There is nothing oxymoronic about my philosophies. Existential nihilism is very real. Have you ever heard of Jean-paul Sartre? Perhaps you should further examine the currently existing philosophies before negating their legitamcy so hastily.

Actually it would be incredibly simple to understand the nature of someone who claims to be asexual if I truly was interested in conducting a scientific experiment.

Good luck with that. Maybe you find someone who wants to play with you.

Actually it would be incredibly simple to understand the nature of someone who claims to be asexual if I truly was interested in conducting a scientific experiment.

My money's on it ending up like Human Centipede.

I'm not so well-versed in horror movies. How did that end up?

From what i gather they all die, but my meaning was more to do with the mad doctor conducting nefarious experiments on his subjects.

under_the_radar

Actually it would be incredibly simple to understand the nature of someone who claims to be asexual if I truly was interested in conducting a scientific experiment. Studying someone's brain activity as well as watching them throughout there everyday life for a while would clearly demonstrate the truth. There is nothing oxymoronic about my philosophies. Existential nihilism is very real. Have you ever heard of Jean-paul Sartre? Perhaps you should further examine the currently existing philosophies before negating their legitamcy so hastily.

Please reread and interpret what I said as I intended the context because you did not according to your response, I'm quite familiar with post modernist philosophy and am personally most in tune with absurdism. Which actually makes my point rather clear about the inaccuracy in such theories as you suggest, I absolutely accept that it is real and can be your interpretation however beyond your own processing and comprehension it has a great potential to be faulty. Not enough is known about brain activity let alone accurately linking it to practical accounts, you do have an idea of how many "truths" involving these correlations have been overturned?

The only person you'll be true or accurate to is yourself, existential nihilism has historically been been the backbone of great atrocities by the hands of the narcissistic. I cannot change your mind, make you rethink your approach, or your potential effects on others. The most I can do is raise some simple questions and make an effort to ensure more accurate communication, you're not the first person who is a proponent to this school of thought I've come across.

Good luck to you, I'll keep an eye open to see if you're capable to change perspectives for a more lucrative outcome as I try to avoid unconquerable barriers on a fundamental level. Trial and error has taught me much in such instances especially with the amount of assumptions made off my inquiry.

mad_scientist

Actually it would be incredibly simple to understand the nature of someone who claims to be asexual if I truly was interested in conducting a scientific experiment. Studying someone's brain activity as well as watching them throughout there everyday life for a while would clearly demonstrate the truth.

You're not a psychologist or any kind of neurologist, are you? I mean, this is the most simplistic misunderstanding of our understanding of the human mind that I've ever seen.

We can't do that yet. We don't know enough to determine anybody's "nature".

There is nothing oxymoronic about my philosophies.

Perhaps not, but definitely moronic.

Perhaps you should further examine the currently existing philosophies before negating their legitamcy so hastily.

I'd suggest you take your own advice with regards to asexuality. Hopefully that's what you're trying to do here, but from reading your previous posts I've gotten the impression that you are more interested in disproving the validity of asexuality than gaining understanding. If you are steadfast in your belief that asexuality is not a legitimate orientation, you may want to reconsider if AVEN is the best place to express that opinion. Also, you might want to phrase your post more carefully- a lot of your arguments are bordering on offensive. We're people. We're not test subjects or psychopaths (well, not any more than sexual people). Please respect us.

It has a really happy and beautiful ending. You should watch it!

;)

Veritas... you claim to completely understand all about women... okay, yeah, my father claimed the same thing. All his wives & girlfriends left him... so much for claiming to know all about women.

I also doubt you can become asexual...

Damn, checking back here after long I stumble into this... and I must say it makes me very angry!

And I feel compelled to give the following statement: if we're to compare libido to hunger as Acer did on the first page then I'VE NEVER EVER FELT HUNGRY IN MY LIFE!

My feeling there simply never changed since infancy, and I agree with most everyone here that you cannot become asexual. I find it deplorable, to say the least, that such a discussion is necessary at all.

So if I got this right, because I'm an asexual aromantic I'm a psychopath that totally lacks empathy for other people at all? This doesn't make any sense! I'm a person who cries when I read the newspaper or watch the news if a kid has died, because it's so unfair that someone so young looses their life. I cry if the thought that something COULD happened to my family, nephews or nieces. Just because I'm not sexually or romantically attracted to anyone, doesn't mean that I'm incapable of loving the people in my life.

"I had been contemplating becoming asexual for some months now"

meaning = There was a recent disturbance or experience that led me to contemplate asexuality.

"I believe that my case may be a bit different than many of the other memebers"

meaning = This experience brought me here rather than a life of wanting an intimate relationship without the act of sex.

"I am contemplating becoming asexual for one main reason."

meaning = Here we go, the disturbance or experience is revealed.

"my recent understandings of the intrinsic nature of women"

meaning = I was burned by a woman.

"truly comprehend what the mental state of a woman is"

meaning = I am male, and as as such, don't understand women and think they are all crazy.

"great power of being able to attain pretty much any woman that I desire"

meaning = I am a tad narcissistic.

"lose the magic that I feel for a woman's inner self"

meaning = This recent relationship, or these relationships, have not worked out so I blame womankind for the dissolved magic (or butterflies).

"gives me great ability to please them materially"

meaning = I showered them with gifts and it pleased them, so I think they were after my money.

"many years of understanding and interpreting, just as the study of instinctive human behavior in general and personality temperments allow me to understand the collective of humanity in their purest forms"

meaning = I am assuming the role of Buddah or a pseudo-psychologist, you pick.

"I really am just coming here now out of interest for what others think about this"

aka = Analyze me.

"who perhaps have a deeper understanding of reality than myself"

meaning = I am trying to come off as humble here, stick with me people!

"geared toward those who take a purely objective stance on life and interpret emotions as simple neurological chemical reactions"

meaning = Let us discuss science.

Sorry, just had to add my tidbit of biased response to that post. I think I understand you, VeritasVosLiberabit / The Truth Shall Set You Free. You sure want to break emotions down scientifically for a person with a user name quoted from the Bible.

Veritas, your post leads me to applaud your decision to not reproduce. Aside from that, it is difficult to reply to such...verbiage.

LOL. Nicely put.

E.

<<Sexuality is a key component in the instinctive motivations of human existentialism, and to say that one simply isn't sexually attracted to anyone is a bold claim in my eyes.>>

Er... might you mean human existence?

<<And if you have a libido, you must be attracted to something in order to satiate that libido, correct?>>

Nope, incorrect. A libido can exist as a purely physical need for sexual release without a mental entity, tangible or not, to activate or propel that need.

E.

<<If this is a random hormonal manifestation, what is your libido craving?>>

Orgasm.

E.

<<I just feel as if a lack of attraction would by default lead towards a lack of empathy>>

Now THAT is a rather spectacular leap of logic.

E.

under_the_radar

I think this guy has been long gone guys, really look at what he is saying for what it is.

american: That was roughly my translation as well. ;)

Everyone put off buy this guy: Don't worry about this one person's opinion, we are who we are and we're okay with it. There doesn't need to be a "reason" for it and neuroscience is still a very primitive art in the medical industry so the chances of emotions being discounted on a biochemical level are slim to none. Most of his rationale is faulty or simply false so just keep that in perspective.

:)

mad_scientist

"I had been contemplating becoming asexual for some months now"

meaning = There was a recent disturbance or experience that led me to contemplate asexuality.

"I believe that my case may be a bit different than many of the other memebers"

meaning = This experience brought me here rather than a life of wanting an intimate relationship without the act of sex.

"I am contemplating becoming asexual for one main reason."

meaning = Here we go, the disturbance or experience is revealed.

"my recent understandings of the intrinsic nature of women"

meaning = I was burned by a woman.

"truly comprehend what the mental state of a woman is"

meaning = I am male, and as as such, don't understand women and think they are all crazy.

"great power of being able to attain pretty much any woman that I desire"

meaning = I am a tad narcissistic.

"lose the magic that I feel for a woman's inner self"

meaning = This recent relationship, or these relationships, have not worked out so I blame womankind for the dissolved magic (or butterflies).

"gives me great ability to please them materially"

meaning = I showered them with gifts and it pleased them, so I think they were after my money.

"many years of understanding and interpreting, just as the study of instinctive human behavior in general and personality temperments allow me to understand the collective of humanity in their purest forms"

meaning = I am assuming the role of Buddah or a pseudo-psychologist, you pick.

"I really am just coming here now out of interest for what others think about this"

aka = Analyze me.

"who perhaps have a deeper understanding of reality than myself"

meaning = I am trying to come off as humble here, stick with me people!

"geared toward those who take a purely objective stance on life and interpret emotions as simple neurological chemical reactions"

meaning = Let us discuss science.

Sorry, just had to add my tidbit of biased response to that post. I think I understand you, VeritasVosLiberabit / The Truth Shall Set You Free. You sure want to break emotions down scientifically for a person with a user name quoted from the Bible.

Conclusion: "Because I think I know everything about women (who are apparently very different to men), I probably behave in real life as I have so far in this thread. As such, the vast majority of women can't stand me; when they leave, I assure myself it's because they're intimidated by my profound understanding, or that I left them, because my great understanding has left me disillusioned with their mystery. Frustrated by recent rejection, I've decided that the best way to keep feeling enlightened and special is to detach myself from women, so I'm going to go to an asexuality forum and see if the same tricks will work on them instead."

Archived