Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PiF

please can we have a teen section

PiF

Although I am 100% sure i am not the only one thinking this ..this is my personal request

please please please can we have a teen section

the outpouring of fucking anime, otherkin, my dogs needs a hair cut, facebook says I am abnormal jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i am not sure what age it would happen but 13 -25 seems to be where the most banal dross seems to be..and would cover most of the school/high school sections

waffo

i am not sure what age it would happen but 13 -25 seems to be where the most banal dross seems to be..and would cover most of the school/high school sections

Along with us slightly more mature college students. I'd like to think my mentality is a bit too different to be wrapped up with 13 year olds.

PiF

Along with us slightly more mature college students. I'd like to think my mentality is a bit too different to be wrapped up with 13 year olds.

i can see waff..the anime avatar gave it away

P is for...

i don't oppose the suggestion so long as it's optional and not a gulag to which everyone under a certain age is sent, in which case i will oppose it vehemently and with great force.

i do have to say, though, that i have trouble grasping what all the fuss is about. i can spot those threads a mile away and can avoid them with ease, and i block any poster who annoys me. but that's just me.

PiF

god forbid p that it be enforced

there are some decent young bloods such as yourself and a few others

although the great force quote is one I wouldn't mind seeing :lol:

P is for...

god forbid p that it be enforced

there are some decent young bloods such as yourself and a few others

although the great force quote is one I wouldn't mind seeing :lol:

excuse me? such as myself? how old do you think i am, PiF?!

Plaid

I can't say I've noticed an overly large amount of posts/topics about teen specific things, and the few that do exist are easy enough to spot by the title, which you'd think would be the thing that prompts you to look at the topic. :/

PiF

to be honest p i do not know how old you are

I pressumed you to be in the early to mid 20's

i rarely check peoples ages..although i just did yours and found none on display

I can't say I've noticed an overly large amount of posts/topics about teen specific things,

I suppose tan it depends on your age group as to what you find important whilst others find annoying

P is for...

to be honest p i do not know how old you are

I pressumed you to be in the early to mid 20's

i rarely check peoples ages..although i just did yours and found none on display

40, PiF. feckin' 40 years old, thankyouverymuch, and i spend most of my time here with people half my age or younger who are more intelligent, articulate, and interesting than 95% of the people my own age i meet here or in real life. so i get a little het up and protective of them when i hear people dismissing young AVENites en masse. i don't dispute that there are a lot of annoying people here, but there are just as many annoying older ones as annoying younger ones.

and i honestly find it more than a little inconsistent that you've been so vocally against new fora for people like aromantics when they requested one, on the grounds that it would somehow fragment our precious cohesion, but seem to have no problem shuttling people who annoy you off to a little island of their own where they won't bother you anymore. i wouldn't mind hearing you explain the difference, if you'd be so kind.

CBC

i wholeheartedly support the idea. as a 25-year-old, i (barely) fall into this category myself, but other than some of the JFF silliness (which people of many ages participate in now and then), i'm also driven nuts by the anime, dragonadopters, otherkin, hetalia, etc. nonsense. i relate to none of it. i know to each his own and all that, and on a personal level i'm not going to judge people's interests, but that stuff isn't what AVEN is primarily about. let's face it, those things are almost exclusively youth interests; it'd be nice to shove it all into one area.

PiF

40..good grief..well your avatar looks good for you age

why would I support a seperate forum for under 25's than aromantics..i would have thought that was obvious p

aromantics are so few that a whole forum for them seems silly

however given most of our casusal asexuals..yes i am..wait i may not be..now i'm demi..oops after all i wasn't

seem to be in the mostly 14-say 20 group then why shouldn;t we have a under 25 forum..it accounts for most of our members

so as a huge part of aven why shouldn't they have an under 25 section?

whilst you have a flair for the dramatic p..no one has suggested..other than you..that they be isolated just into that forum

just that a forum be avaliable to the mass part of our membership..unless you feel different?

Plaid

I suppose tan it depends on your age group as to what you find important whilst others find annoying

I don't keep up with enough of that sort of thing to be interested in most of it, so I'm not involved. If I see something (regardless of age group) that I'm not interested in, I ignore it. Most of the things mentioned so far are confined to their own threads, and only spill over in the form of avatars or signatures, which are small and not very obtrusive. Having a teen section won't change that.

PiF

but it would give the younger ones..especially the new joiners..a place to head for?

P is for...

40..good grief..well your avatar looks good for you age

why would I support a seperate forum for under 25's than aromantics..i would have thought that was obvious p

aromantics are so few that a whole forum for them seems silly

however given most of our casusal asexuals..yes i am..wait i may not be..now i'm demi..oops after all i wasn't

seem to be in the mostly 14-say 20 group then why shouldn;t we have a under 25 forum..it accounts for most of our members

so as a huge part of aven why shouldn't they have an under 25 section?

whilst you have a flair for the dramatic p..no one has suggested..other than you..that they be isolated just into that forum

just that a forum be avaliable to the mass part of our membership..unless you feel different?

of course i don't object to having it be optional; i said as much in my first post in this thread. i suppose what irks me is the difference between a group of people seeing the need for something and requesting it themselves, and a group of people declaring the need to ghettoize another group of people because they find them inconvenient. sorry, but that raises my hackles a bit; maybe it's because i'm a historian.

anyway, i'd really like to hear what the young people themselves have to say about this, and whether they'd actually use such a forum. if they want it and the mods don't shoot it down, i don't oppose it in any way.

(and respectfully, PiF--i'm not the only one with a flair for the dramatic. yours just takes a different form, that's all; and if we irritate each other from time to time, it's probably because we're more alike than we are different. i know, perish the thought.)

PiF

p

I've always accepted that on occasion I am a prick..not a rich prick as Jaqui said but a prick never the less

and have never understood why people take any notice of me..but notice they indeed do

a teen forum i think would be great.benefit them..and make many happier..especially me :lol:

Plaid

There are plenty of forums that cater to that already. I imagine most people new to the site would be hanging around Q&A or musirants anyway, as AVEN is a visibility site and I'd say that younger members are more likely to be questioning or have just discovered what asexuality is. There is already at least one teen ace thread currently active and the ones I've seen in the past haven't gone very far, so I can't see a teen forum getting much traffic.

CBC
There is already at least one teen ace thread currently active and the ones I've seen in the past haven't gone very far, so I can't see a teen forum getting much traffic.

but if one was created... it might do. the older asexuals forum does alright, given that there aren't a huge number of older members here... and there are far more teens than there are older people. besides, young people are often drawn to things specifically aimed at/created for their demographic.

ShahidAfridiBOOMBOOM

PiF do you want a teen forum or under 25 forum? There's quite a big difference in terms of numbers. Probably about 80% are 25 and under, maybe 30-40% are teens.

Plaid

but if one was created... it might do. the older asexuals forum does alright, given that there aren't a huge number of older members here... and there are far more teens than there are older people. besides, young people are often drawn to things specifically aimed at/created for their demographic.

This is true. If there are a lot of younger members who want a teen forum then I'm not against the idea, but a lot of the things complained about in this thread are not teen exclusive and for the most part already have a forum that they would suit better than a teen forum. They won't go away by creating a new forum.

anamia

Teen here. And honestly, were there a teen forum, I personally wouldn't set foot in it. Well, maybe occasionally out of curiosity, but I sincerely doubt that it would turn into my home base, so to speak. Granted, I don't speak for all people in my age group by a long shot, but I also suspect I'm not alone. I suppose I don't object to the creation of a forum, but this particular teen could live just as happily without it.

Also, so-called "teen" topics aren't limited to young people. And the threads about such things tend to stay in places like JFF and Off-A, which seems a perfectly reasonable place for them.

PiF

PiF do you want a teen forum or under 25 forum? There's quite a big difference in terms of numbers. Probably about 80% are 25 and under, maybe 30-40% are teens.

Fair point tf

Personally I'd love a ban on Anime,facebook etc but realize that will never happen

The forum is split in many ways agreed

Majority if members will only be here 6 months if that but that forms our majority base .. They do tend to be between 18 and 25

Having a look at our user base vs age may give a better age slide if reference if we did move foward

Be honest... I can't be the only one fed if up anime this, I checked them out in facebook that etc ?

And p

I thought miss serafine was a younger lady so associated yourself in the same age area... I didn't realize there was such a big age gap.. My apologies for guessing your age wrong

Sally

i wholeheartedly support the idea. as a 25-year-old, i (barely) fall into this category myself, but other than some of the JFF silliness (which people of many ages participate in now and then), i'm also driven nuts by the anime, dragonadopters, otherkin, hetalia, etc. nonsense. i relate to none of it. i know to each his own and all that, and on a personal level i'm not going to judge people's interests, but that stuff isn't what AVEN is primarily about. let's face it, those things are almost exclusively youth interests; it'd be nice to shove it all into one area.

How about a Teen Forum? That could mean that anyone who wanted to complain about what their high school teacher said, what their mother won't let them do, whether they should go to their prom, or their brother won't stay out of their room, or they know they've been asexual since they were eight and now that they're 13, they want the whole world to know--they'd all have a place to go where they're sure that someone like PIF or me isn't going to...um, where nobody will throw inconvenient stuff in their face. There could be LOLs, Ummm...'s, comparison of game prowess, and names could be changed constantly.

OK, that was snarky. But in the Older Asexuals, we have younger people quite a bit -- and if they don't throw the teen stuff in our faces, we love to have them there. So it wouldn't mean that everyone would stay out of the Teen section; it would simply mean that you'd know what you're getting into.

It's kind of disconcerting to have a serious conversation going on in the philosophy/etc. forum and a 14-year-old pops in saying what his teacher told the class yesterday. Of course, the Teen section wouldn't prevent that, but it might cut those occurrences down a bit.

Teens, to me, are 13-18, generally. I know Henny, for instance, is 18, and there are other quite mature teens on AVEN. They'd probably be more likely to go into the non-teen sections, just as some of us older people go into the non-Older sections. That's fine. But at least the anime-loving, LOLing, my mother says people would have a place where that would be completely accepted with interest.

ShahidAfridiBOOMBOOM

Yep I was gonna write my stance but it's pretty much exactly what Sally said. I'd support a teen forum cos like she says the older forum doesn't stop young'ens coming in so it's not like non-teens couldn't post in the teen forum if they wanted (and obviously there's nothing stopping teens posting in other forums too). I think it would help in directing at least some of the issues that are't relevent to the older members away from the main forums.

P is for...

And p

I thought miss serafine was a younger lady so associated yourself in the same age area... I didn't realize there was such a big age gap.. My apologies for guessing your age wrong

she is a younger lady, and there is a substantial age gap; but that's one of the pleasant things about being asexual. things that may raise eyebrows in the outside world make sense here. no apology needed, and no harm done.

i'm in agreement with many of the rest here, though, in that, while i would fully support a Younger Asexuals forum (sort of to correspond with the Older Asexuals forum, which has no age limit and people can post there or not as they see fit) if the younger asexuals want it, i'm not sure that putting one out there without their express approval and interest is going to make a damned bit of difference. in fact, if someone could tell me exactly how the Older Asexuals forum came about, that might be helpful. did older asexuals request it themselves? or has it just been there all along? i know it's not one of the more active fora, and if that's the case and it was requested by older asexuals themselves, i'm hard pressed to see how giving young people a forum they didn't even ask for is going to make a real difference.

Baroness Peron

I can see the use of a teen forum that focuses on teen-specific concerns--after all, older asexuals get their own forum--but frankly I take objection to the tone of the suggestion, for a couple of reasons.

For one thing, 20-25 is an entirely different age group from teens. It's a highly varied age group and it's members have a wide spectrum of maturities and responsibilities. I'm 21, a college student, and I see a lot of variation among my peers. Also, my concerns when I was a teen are a lot different from what they are now.

I'm also detecting a little hostility towards "new arrivals." As someone who has been resisting my sexuality for years, I've found it comforting to have a place to come and talk about it now that I've accepted it. But asexuality has a lot more aspects to it than I ever imagined, and when faced with a lot of new terminology it's natural to try a few different labels on, and see what fits best. Overall I've found AVEN to be very welcoming and friendly in the few days I've been here, but I have to say that this thread has been a little offputting.

Just my perception as a "Newbie."

Kelly

This might be a time to live and let live. The under 25 group is rather large here, and if someone dislikes that group of people (or dislikes any other group of people), sending them away to some camp so that you will not be bothered by them is likely not going to happen for one person's request.

Young people are very much a part of AVEN, and will likely stay that way. Visitors and members my need to get used to that. Indeed, young people are valuable members of AVEN. They have a right to post across the board.

. . .but there are sounds

It is my understanding that the older asexuals forum was created by the request of that demographic. Herein lies the difference to me. The request for a younger aces forum seems to be coming from those who are without that demographic and want to see less of the eccentricities of that group in the rest of the site. It seems that this would be effective if the moderators were to move everything that was found objectionable to this new forum. This does effectively mean that it is no longer voluntary if you want to talk about such things. Frankly, such subjects are not out of place in Off-A or JFF and so the creation of this new forum would amount to shunning at least part of our younger demographic.

+Lee

Well, since there is an older forum I don't see why there shouldn't be a teen forum, but I also thought there should be an aromantic forum and they never got one.

I don't want it to be made for your reasons though PiF, I think those are bad reasons and I don't see your issue. It's easy to stay away from topics like those and you don't have to read them.

the outpouring of fucking anime, otherkin, my dogs needs a hair cut, facebook says I am abnormal jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Plus, I'm 18. I don't like anime. Yet I'm sure there are 26+ year olds who do.

Frankly, I never see the threads you are talking about, and I'm pretty active on here. Save for the Anime ones.

Those things are also not necessarily age specific either.

It is my understanding that the older asexuals forum was created by the request of that demographic. Herein lies the difference to me. The request for a younger aces forum seems to be coming from those who are without that demographic and want to see less of the eccentricities of that group in the rest of the site. It seems that this would be effective if the moderators were to move everything that was found objectionable to this new forum. This does effectively mean that it is no longer voluntary if you want to talk about such things. Frankly, such subjects are not out of place in Off-A or JFF and so the creation of this new forum would amount to shunning at least part of our younger demographic.

I agree with this.

P is for...

thanks, that's what i was looking for, and my point exactly. i'm frankly disturbed by the stereotyping and judgment calls being displayed here, and i'm relieved i'm not the only one who is. as i've said, if teens want a forum, more power to 'em. but i don't want to send anyone to Siberia, even by implication. i think the very best thing we can do for the young people who annoy us, or for anyone else for that matter, is to bear with them and to help them grow.

it's been said before that AVEN is like a family. it's a luxury to be able to choose one's family, and it's a luxury we don't really have. we're stuck with one another, and i for one think that's a good and beneficial thing. it means we all get to grow. if you don't like the posts or the threads, don't read them, or block the users. but for pity's sake. we were all young and foolish too at some point, and if everyone had washed their hands of us, i shudder to think where we'd be.

waffo

i can see waff..the anime avatar gave it away

Oops, sorry. Let me change my avatar to promoter trap picture or something.