Updating the wiki

Lord Happy Toast

Ah yes, now I remember that poll. The thing that stood out to me most was that for the question about sex, "male" came in third place. It made me giggle a little, musing on the considerable diversity in the asexual community.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't posted on the forum for ages, but I've been checking the wiki periodically. Recently it's been getting a lot of spam... (Previously only the occasional one got through.)

All of it comes from registered users, since anonymous editing was disabled. And the user creation page uses reCAPTCHA. But is there anything else we can do, maybe a MediaWiki update or extension, to cut back the amount of spam again?

Or I guess on wikipedia they have bots which patrol new pages and will automatically or semi-automatically delete spam pages. Is there something like that we can run?

Lord Happy Toast

I've also been very concerned about the recent amount of spamming. I think that part of the problem is that things have been set up so that only the wikimaster can delete pages or ban users. Our current wikimaster hasn't had the time to be able to consistently do their job, so the result is that for the past 5 months we've functionally been without anyone to ban spammers. I suspect that the recent massive increase in spam may well be related to this--perhaps people discovered that their accounts won't get deleted for spamming. Just a couple days ago, to deal with this, we've created a second account that is capable of deleting pages and banning users, and this person have been very active in doing the much needed work. But they've only been active for about two days.

Right now, I think that we should wait and see if regularly banning spammers will fix the problem within a week or two. If not, then we should start looking into stronger security measures to avoid problems with spam.

I think that once I ban enough spam bots, things will clear up. I noticed that some of the pages I have been deleting have been deleted before. The old person didn't ban these accounts, just deleted the pages.

The blocking you have done seems to have worked for all of them but the “. . . . . . . ==<center>” spammer who has been blocked, so they must be doing something differently. Different IP each time?

The information on this page might be helpful if they don’t let up: Media wiki antispam

Do you have a way to semi-protect pages? Every once in a while they replace the main page...

So... much..... SPAM today. Dear gosh. And I deleted/blocked all that I saw yesterday.

Thank you for the link Hexaquark, I'm going to try to figure that out.

And I think I can protect pages, I'll look into protecting the main page.

Now, to tackle all that spam that showed up. *sigh*

Also, thank you for marking pages as spam. :) It helps

EDIT: The main page is already protected... >_<

Lord Happy Toast

The occassional replacement of the main page is the most annoying spamming going on. It also makes me wonder if there are actual people doing some of this spamming just to be annoying.

I find checking the list of uncategorized pages is useful for identifying spam pages which slip through...

Hmmm, so from the main page logs, it looks like it's set to "edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed" which sounds OK.

But the majority of users who change it to spam have made no other contributions.

So is it possible to configure exactly when users become autoconfirmed?

(For example on wikipedia "accounts that are more than four days old and have made at least 10 edits are considered autoconfirmed" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:User_access_levels#Autoconfirmed_users )

I find checking the list of uncategorized pages is useful for identifying spam pages which slip through...

Hmmm, so from the main page logs, it looks like it's set to "edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed" which sounds OK.

But the majority of users who change it to spam have made no other contributions.

So is it possible to configure exactly when users become autoconfirmed?

(For example on wikipedia "accounts that are more than four days old and have made at least 10 edits are considered autoconfirmed" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:User_access_levels#Autoconfirmed_users )

For some reason, the most it lets me do is let only people with accounts to edit it. Unless there is something I missed.

I really don't know, how do I install these things?

I'm sorry, I wish I could be more help. I just don't know much about wikis. I'll figure it out though, just not now. *college stuff and a podcast*

EDIT: Freken heck, they changed the main page again. *Rollback and ban hammers*

Ummm, I suppose you need access (ftp or whatever) to the web server. Who has that nowadays? AVENguy? Or someone else for the wiki?

They'll need to edit the LocalSettings.php file, so I assume simply being a wiki admin is not sufficient.

(Reverting the front page yet again - three different spam users edited it in the past hour...)

• 2 weeks later...
Lord Happy Toast

Micheal, you'll have to contact Cole about that. At some point or other, AVEN changed the forum software used, and it changed the name that pages are named. Previously, they just had a number. Now they have a number plus something based on the title of the thread. It renders old links dead. This has been frustrating to me on a number of occassions, espeically when reading older threads out of historical interest, and then they link to other threads--and the links are dead [arghhh, frustration]! (But not enough frustration that I've ever bothered to ask anyone about it.)

Lord Happy Toast

I fixed those other links ([1] and [4]) in the AVEN history section. Did anything notable happen since 2007?

In mid-2009 we were on the brink of world domination, but things ended up not working out. Other than that, not so sure.

Membership has grown, there have been a number of media articles, though no really major ones creating a huge spike in traffic; more research articles have been done. There was the AVEN DSM project thingy. More off-AVEN stuff, especially in the blogosphere. In the past year, we've got the new PT, who are working hard to establish a clearer role for what the PT does. There was the demodding of EGD, which resulted in a fair bit of drama--and at least one (and quite possibly three) new asexual forums, and probably resulted in increased anti-admod sentiment and frustration at AVEN being the center of all things asexual. (Having had access to the admods forum, I do not think that the anti-admod sentiment is at all deserved, and I think it actually makes it much harder for them to fix the many problems with how things are currently run. [Note: As far as I know, everyone agrees that there's plenty of room for improvement in terms of how things are run.)]

I fixed those other links ([1] and [4]) in the AVEN history section. Did anything notable happen since 2007?

In mid-2009 we were on the brink of world domination, but things ended up not working out. Other than that, not so sure.

Membership has grown, there have been a number of media articles, though no really major ones creating a huge spike in traffic; more research articles have been done.

There was a BBC3 documentary on British national TV in 2009 starring 3 Warwick students. (Not me, although I myself was a student at Warwick back then, not yet involved in AVEN or asexual campus groups.)

Several more asexual walking groups have marched in LGBT parades in recent years, following the earlier lead of San Francisco and Stockholm.

• 4 weeks later...
carried in bags

who is good a working wiki? I think we should be in and amongst the LGBT like this one

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, I knew I joined a year too late.

There was a BBC3 documentary on British national TV in 2009 starring 3 Warwick students. (Not me, although I myself was a student at Warwick back then, not yet involved in AVEN or asexual campus groups.)

Several more asexual walking groups have marched in LGBT parades in recent years, following the earlier lead of San Francisco and Stockholm.

For a history page, would people help me fill in the blanks? I have something cobbled together about the early years (HHA/AVEN/LJ/etc.), but the DSM project, pride parades, formation of new forums etc. are not so easy to quickly find information on... perhaps because not everything is written down publicly. Or because I got lazy.

who is good a working wiki? I think we should be in and amongst the LGBT like this one

Wow :o I'm surprised that Asexuality isn't mentioned there.

If it is any consolation, the asexual flag and other symbols are in here with other identity symbols.

But if one were so inclined, this might be how they would add it

==Asexual==
[[File:asexual flag.svg|left|100px|alt=Asexual Flag]]

{{Clear}}

*bumps thread*

I've wondered this since I discovered the AVENwiki, how come the Wiki logo doesn't have a transparent background?

haha I noticed that too but I would wager there is no transparency simply because the logo designer didn't include any.

• 2 weeks later...
estrella fugaz

Wow :o I'm surprised that Asexuality isn't mentioned there.

If it is any consolation, the asexual flag and other symbols are in here with other identity symbols.

But if one were so inclined, this might be how they would add it

==Asexual==
[[File:asexual flag.svg|left|100px|alt=Asexual Flag]]

{{Clear}}

Thanks for the code! I'm shameless enough to add it. :D I just hope it doesn't get removed. ^^;

Thanks for the code! I'm shameless enough to add it. :D I just hope it doesn't get removed. ^^;

It’s still up as of right now, thanks for adding it. I’m not an editor on Wikipedia so…

Yay for visibility! I think you get one of these medals ==> :vis:

• 2 weeks later...
estrella fugaz

It’s still up as of right now, thanks for adding it. I’m not an editor on Wikipedia so…

Yay for visibility! I think you get one of these medals ==> :vis:

No problem! I have an old account I log into a couple times a year when I see something that really needs attention (like vandalism or spam). I just checked again, and it's still there. ^_^ Although I have to point out I simply used the description from the main article on Asexuality, since it was so well done already. XD

Yay, a medal! *pins it to her shirt* :D

• 2 weeks later...

Question: Is it possible to upload pdfs onto the wiki, and how do I do it? DJ gave me a more recent version of these pamphlets. I'd like to put them on the wiki, but I can't just link to them since afaik they are not on the internet.

Question: Is it possible to upload pdfs onto the wiki, and how do I do it? DJ gave me a more recent version of these pamphlets. I'd like to put them on the wiki, but I can't just link to them since afaik they are not on the internet.

I don't know if it's possible but I wouldn't count on it, as we have had endless trouble uploading the latest issues of AVENues to the front page, and in the end had to give up (and use google documents instead). Does anyone else have any idea? If not, maybe you could email one of us with the pdfs and we'll put them on google docs.

Lord Happy Toast

Another option would be for me to host them on Asexual Explorations.