Updating the wiki

On the History of Asexuality page, something about this: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/98639-indirect-mentions-of-asexuality-in-magnus-hirschfelds-books/ should be added.

Thanks, Aqua. I have added it to history and the Asexuality in non-fiction page.

Thanks for adding it, Robin!

Here's a listing in progress of the articles from here: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/98927-gaia-online-used-to-keep-tabs-of-asexual-news/

A lot of articles from 2005 and 2006, that aren't listed on the wiki!

Page 1 of Gaia Online thread:

Philadelphia Inquirer: "Asexuals' assertion: No one turns them on" (date: May 30, 2005) -- note: original article not available, but still available at the link on Gaia Online's Asexuality Guild: http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=685896
San Francisco Bay Guardian: "Asexy new friends": http://www.sfbg.com/39/38/cover_asexuality.html (date: circa 2005 )
Salon.com "Asexual and proud!" (date: May 26, 2005)
-- notes: already listed on the wiki, but is an article about the early history of the asexual community, and distinguishes asexuality from Sexual Aversion Disorder, HSDD, effects of anti-depressants, and celibacy.
CBS Philly: "Asexuality" (date: Aug 4, 2005) -- article briefly featuring David Jay and another asexual person, and how asexuals can be average people. They are both also featured in a similar article titled "No Sex? No Problem!", published by CBS Chicago.
Ynetnews: "Trend: Saying no to sex": http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3136367,00.html (date: Sep 1, 2005) -- note: The article mostly treats asexuality as a social trend, attributed to people being too busy to have sex lives, and considers people who haven't had sex for long periods of time to be a subgroup of asexuality, and says that sexual abstinence becomes an ideology.
h2g2: "Asexuality": http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A4455263 (date: Sep 2, 2005)
wfmynews2.com: "No Sex, No Problem" (date: September 2005)
Inside Bay Area: "Not everyone has to have it. Not everyone even wants it":
http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/localnews/ci_3139860 (date: Oct 21, 2005)
The Daily Northwestern: "Asexuality removes awkwardness of dating." (date: Jul 14, 2005)
-- author says that "...asexuality is the latest evolution in the sexual spectrum...", but also points out that relationships without sex can still be complicated.
MSNBC: "Bi? Asexual? Gay? Who cares?" (date: Jan 5, 2006) -- The debate over whether sexual orientation is a matter of self-identification (supported by Bogaert), or should be determined from a pattern of arousal (supported by Rieger and Bailey) is mentioned. The article is critical of AVEN's stance on not questioning a person's asexuality, but is more supportive of the self-identification stance.

Page 2 of the Gaia Online thread:

dailyvanguard.com: "When gay, bi or straight just doesn't fit" (date: Jan 27, 2006)
ABC News: "Sexless and Proud":
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Sex/story?id=1759069 (date: March 23, 2006) -- notes: Skepticism from a sex therapist, who thinks asexuality may be caused by trauma. AVEN's stance on labels and how they shouldn't be used to box people in is also mentioned, and that it's not wrong for someone who identified as asexual to have a change of heart.
progressiveu.org: "Asexuality - what?" (date: circa 2006)
Edmonton Journal: "D) None of the above -- some people seem to prefer no sex at all" (date: April 28, 2006) --
notes: Already listed on the wiki, but I found it especially interesting because The Official Nonlibidoism Society, and their different definition of asexuality was mentioned.
Life Site News: ""Asexuals" Seek "Marriage" in China" (date: July 25, 2006) -- notes: About a Chinese match-making website (Marriage for Asexuals), more than half of them are people unable to have sex, while others are gays and lesbians seeking cover-up marriages. Asexuality is mentioned, and it's said that whether asexuality is an orientation, or something created out of backlash against the hypersexualized world is disputed.
Sydney Morning Herald: "The joyless club" (date: January 2007?) -- notes: Article written in response to Marriage for Asexuals, and the old ABCD asexuality classifications.

Edited by Aqua-ace
Added more links
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest member25959

More stuff (dunno if we should discuss in a separate thread or continue here)

Most of the identity stuff needs an update. I've not touched the identity stuff considering that it's usually a controversial and sensitive area... what I'm saying is that we'll need to discuss that kind of stuff, I guess? We're currently lacking a sexual fluidity page (kinda crazy, right?)

Here's what we've got so far:
Asexual
Bisexual
Demisexual
Gray-A
Heterosexual
Homosexual
Pansexual (we've discussed this article recently)
(all of the above are grouped as sexual orientations)
Male
Female
Agender
Androgyne/Androgynous
Bigender
Cisgender

Genderfluid
Genderqueer
Intersex

Neutrois

Trans*
Transgender

(grouped as gender identities)

We've also got androsexuality, gynosexuality and androgynosexuality. DSD, gender binary, hereronormal, HRT, intersexuality, FtM/MtF, physical sex, shemale, transsexual and transphobia are categorized under Gender and Sex

... I think it'd be useful if we could explain the whole "cis" concept (we've already got an article for "cisgender"). What I'm thinking right now is that we could create a "derogatory terms and language" article, maybe? That's probably more controversy that we need, but it'd be easier to maintain than several individual articles. There's one other thing that I'm thinking about, I'm wondering if we could someone merge all the gender identity articles into one "Gender Identities" article, and take a similar approach to the cis- and physical sex article? I can see the possible controversy in that proposal. One last thing: Citations!

Either way, we're lacking info. If you've got anything to add, please do share!

Edited by Raccoons & Arca N.H.
-
Member54880

Most intersex people are assigned male or female at birth; some of them through surgery at birth followed by other treatments in childhood , while others have an intersex condition that wasn't detected until later in life, or ever.

A term I've seen by intersex people referring to their birth assignment is CAMAB/CAFAB ("Coercively Assigned Male/Female At Birth"), but I don't know if that only applies to the individuals who had surgery at birth to 'assign' them male or female. They'd be cis if their gender matches what they were assigned.

What parts about the 'cis' concept need explaining? I've heard people say that 'cisgender' and 'cis privilege' don't exist, usually from the 'gender abolitionist' crowd. To mention that could be very controversial though.

On the gender page, I'm in favor of listing, and briefly describing each of the gender identities, and can go more in-depth for each of them on their respective pages.

I don't remember the exact prevalence of fluid sexuality, but there are thought to be multiple reasons why it may be underestimated. Pomosexual is a somewhat related label, because some people who identify as pomosexual do because of fluid sexuality. I'll see if I can find more information.

At least for a page about fluid sexuality, you should include that it is not proven and that it is actually only some who believes in it. And that you only ahve the page to represent how some avenites identify themselves and that it is not necessairly an objective fact. And for your concerns about cis, you can just add in the article the arguments against the use of cis. It should be included, especially since so many on AVEN are talking a lot about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest member25959

Most intersex people are assigned male or female at birth; some of them through surgery at birth followed by other treatments in childhood , while others have an intersex condition that wasn't detected until later in life, or ever.

A term I've seen by intersex people referring to their birth assignment is CAMAB/CAFAB ("Coercively Assigned Male/Female At Birth"), but I don't know if that only applies to the individuals who had surgery at birth to 'assign' them male or female. They'd be cis if their gender matches what they were assigned.

What parts about the 'cis' concept need explaining? I've heard people say that 'cisgender' and 'cis privilege' don't exist, usually from the 'gender abolitionist' crowd. To mention that could be very controversial though.

On the gender page, I'm in favor of listing, and briefly describing each of the gender identities, and can go more in-depth for each of them on their respective pages.

I don't remember the exact prevalence of fluid sexuality, but there are thought to be multiple reasons why it may be underestimated. Pomosexual is a somewhat related label, because some people who identify as pomosexual do because of fluid sexuality. I'll see if I can find more information.

Interesting... I've never heard of CAMAB/CAFAB. Would there be any opposition if we created those pages as redirects? "Cis" is usually a confusing term for anyone who isn't familiar with this kind of terminology. Quick proposal for an AVENwiki definition:

Cis (from Latin "cis" meaning "on the same side") (source) is a prefix used by numerous LGBT/GSM communities. It is formed with a suffix in the same manner as hetero- or bi-, and refers to someone whose gender identity (or sex) correlates with their assigned birth sex (source). Common examples include cissexual and cisgender, though "cis" as a lone-standing word may imply either one of these. This term is seen as controversial by some, as it is occasionally used in a derogatory manner.

According to Gender Wiki, "cisgender" has been used on the Internet since 1994 and first appeared in Usenet's alt.transgendered group, though a definition was not provided initially. Other sources claim that the term was coined a year later in 1995. The first academic use appeared in 1998, in a German article. (source)

[could we merge the cissexual and cisgender articles with this, if it goes ahead?]

There's also the possibility of disambiguation pages if necessary (though I can't think of where they'd be necessary right now)

At least for a page about fluid sexuality, you should include that it is not proven and that it is actually only some who believes in it. And that you only ahve the page to represent how some avenites identify themselves and that it is not necessairly an objective fact. And for your concerns about cis, you can just add in the article the arguments against the use of cis. It should be included, especially since so many on AVEN are talking a lot about it.

That could apply to many of these pages, honestly. We could create an infobox that says "this isn't proven", but we'd really be throwing ourselves into the flames if we did that... but first, we really need a sexual fluidity page! This is one of those subjects where it'd be helpful if we could find some impartial non-AVEN sources to use as citations (fortunately, there's a few out there). Well, I guess we need something to work with, so here's something:

Sexual fluidity is a commonly proposed theory within the asexual community, as well as other similar communities. The exact definition differs depending on the source and individual interpretation; Usually it describes an orientation that is not static, and may "shift".

It is distinguished from bisexuality by the lack of simultaneous attraction (a person who experiences sexual fluidity may experience "gay" and "straight" attraction, but they usually do not experience these attractions simultaneously) (source). Alternatively, it may be described as a situation-dependent flexibility in sexual responsiveness, which makes it possible to experience desires for either men or women under certain circumstances. (source) Other sources define it as "[a person who] oscillates between relationships with men and women [...] [but] unlike a bisexual, identifies as gay or straight" (source)

This subject has sparked controversy on many occasions, and remains as a divisive issue. A person who experiences sexual fluidity might identify as "pomosexual", which is described as a nonorientation in which people disregard sexual labels altogether. (source)

... just a quick proposal!

Edited by Raccoons & Arca N.H.
Member54880

CAMAB/CAFAB is separate from being cis or trans, and I think that birth assignment should be another topic addressed when it comes to sex and gender.

Birth assignment is what gender (and for intersex people, it's also what sex they're assigned) a person is declared at birth, and goes on their birth certificate.

There are a few different ways to refer to birth assignment, including DMAB/DFAB ("Designated Male/Female at Birth"), AMAB/AFAB ("Assigned Male/Female at Birth").

EDIT: It's often said that CAMAB/CAFAB applies only to the intersex people whose sex was assigned at birth through surgical treatments, but those terms didn't originate in the intersex community, and there's controversy over who is allowed to use CAMAB/CAFAB or not:

http://necrogender.tumblr.com/post/80610970675/fear-cuts-deeper-deathtasteslikechicken

http://lisaquestions.tumblr.com/post/76790506871/afab-amab-tie-in-with-cafab-and-camab-which-are

Some people say that CAMAB/CAFAB should only be used by intersex people, while others say that those terms are interchangeable with the other birth assignment terms, arguing that everyone is coercively assigned a gender and sex at birth.

The intent behind the term 'cisgender' was to counter the norm that people whose gender matches what they were assigned, as being the unmarked default, and to counter the 'othering' of trans people. The group that opposes the cis label the most are the 'gender abolitionists', a subtype of Radical Feminism who don't identify with gender at all, because they believe that gender itself is an oppressive construct to women.

That's a good start on the fluid sexuality article! :)

Edited by Aqua-ace
Queer As Cat

may i ask why the thread that was created in the Gender Discussion forum has been abandoned, Raccoons & Arca N.H....?

Guest member25959

may i ask why the thread that was created in the Gender Discussion forum has been abandoned, Raccoons & Arca N.H....?

Very bad memory. Why, what are you suggesting? :P

CAMAB/CAFAB is separate from being cis or trans, and I think that birth assignment should be another topic addressed when it comes to sex and gender.

Birth assignment is what gender (and for intersex people, it's also what sex they're assigned) a person is declared at birth, and goes on their birth certificate.

There are a few different ways to refer to birth assignment, including DMAB/DFAB ("Designated Male/Female at Birth"), AMAB/AFAB ("Assigned Male/Female at Birth").

EDIT: It's often said that CAMAB/CAFAB applies only to the intersex people whose sex was assigned at birth through surgical treatments, but those terms didn't originate in the intersex community, and there's controversy over who is allowed to use CAMAB/CAFAB or not:

http://necrogender.tumblr.com/post/80610970675/fear-cuts-deeper-deathtasteslikechicken

http://lisaquestions.tumblr.com/post/76790506871/afab-amab-tie-in-with-cafab-and-camab-which-are

Some people say that CAMAB/CAFAB should only be used by intersex people, while others say that those terms are interchangeable with the other birth assignment terms, arguing that everyone is coercively assigned a gender and sex at birth.

Wait, I never said that CAMAB or CAFAB was the same as cis or trans... I don't think so?

Hello,

First of all, I read here http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=To_the_GLBTQ_community : "Altogether the community on AVEN has over 30,000 registered members." but now it's more.

Secondly, in AVEN in spanish we are translating the AVENwiki into spanish. Who do I have to talk with to to send all the information translated and in wich format?

Oh, fortunately that figure can be updated without any issues. We've got an AVENwiki team for the English-language AVENwiki, there's some contacts here. Edited by Raccoons & Arca N.H.
extra
Queer As Cat

Very bad memory. Why, what are you suggesting? :P

i was hoping that it was just a case of forgetfulness. :) thanks.

Secondly, in AVEN in spanish we are translating the AVENwiki into spanish. Who do I have to talk with to to send all the information translated[/size] and in wich format?[/size]

If you have interest in starting a Spanish AVENwiki, you can gather a group of editors and make a request to start a wiki.

Yes, we started our own wiki: http://asexuality.org/sp/wiki/ but it's in creation process. We only need somebody to put the link on your AVENwiki together with the other languages wikis :) We'll talk with the staff. Thank you.

If someone want to help to traslate the AVENwiki into spanish send me a private mesagge, thank you.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Hi, I read the pages needed list and I was wondering if an admin could create "queer heterosexual" for me as I have some information on that topic. Page creation has been disabled for non-admins on the wiki.

As it was done years ago, would it be best to allow email-confirmed users to create pages now?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 11:03 AM, Jackninja5 said:

As it was done years ago, would it be best to allow email-confirmed users to create pages now?

Believe it or not, all the spammers were emailconformed, so now you need to have made some edits before you can make pages.

8 minutes ago, Robin L said:

Believe it or not, all the spammers were emailconformed, so now you need to have made some edits before you can make pages.

Ah, I figured that out now. Thanks.

Would anyone want to help getting articles up to date? The easiest articles to update are the Moderator, Administrator and Project Team articles, which can be updated when they are any changes to the Admod Team or the PT.

Other articles feel like more need to be added onto them, or some of the information on them may be out of date.

The AVEN article: http://wiki.asexuality.org/AVEN

The Administration section doesn't include the Declass Team and Trainer Team yet. Should they be included in it, or have separate sections? Both teams have staff roles, but don't oversee visibility projects or moderate the forums. Both teams don't have articles either, but I've written drafts for them.

The timeline of notable dates in AVEN history could be expanded on too. The last date listed was for 2007. I would also include the first AVEN survey which was published in 2008, its revival in 2014, AVENues' revival in 2016. Are there any other major AVEN events since 2007 to add?

Forums article: http://wiki.asexuality.org/Forums

I recently updated this article to include the Declass Team as another group elected by the membership, and updated the Current Forums section to include the forums and community links that have been added since the article was last updated. The only information that I couldn't update was about the latest redesign. I couldn't find the date for when it happened other than it being earlier this year.

Asexual history article: http://wiki.asexuality.org/Asexual_history

The "Participation in Pride Parades" and "Legal protections" sections should be updated. For the Pride Parades section, I'd want to include AVEN's and other asexual groups' involvement in WorldPride since 2012. There exist separate articles for WorldPride 2012, 2014 and 2017, but they are all stubs.

If legal protections have explicitly been passed for asexuality in other areas, they can be added to the "Legal protections" section.
The "Asexual communities beyond AVEN" section should be updated, because new sites have been made since then and some may no longer be active.

For the "Asexuality and HSDD in the DSM section", I considered adding onto it to include the controversy within the asexual community about flibanserin, a drug created to treat HSDD, because of the concern that such a drug would further pathologize asexuality, although flibanserin turned out to be rarely prescribed. I found some AVEN threads from 2010 about it when it was initially being reviewed, and the controversy erupted again when it was approved by the FDA in 2015. Should this be added in that section, or be its own section?

If anyone interested finds any further articles that are out of date, please share the links to them here and we can discuss how to update them.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Aqua-ace said:

Would anyone want to help getting articles up to date? The easiest articles to update are the Moderator, Administrator and Project Team articles, which can be updated when they are any changes to the Admod Team or the PT.

Other articles feel like more need to be added onto them, or some of the information on them may be out of date.

The AVEN article: http://wiki.asexuality.org/AVEN

The Administration section doesn't include the Declass Team and Trainer Team yet. Should they be included in it, or have separate sections? Both teams have staff roles, but don't oversee visibility projects or moderate the forums. Both teams don't have articles either, but I've written drafts for them.

The timeline of notable dates in AVEN history could be expanded on too. The last date listed was for 2007. I would also include the first AVEN survey which was published in 2008, its revival in 2014, AVENues' revival in 2016. Are there any other major AVEN events since 2007 to add?

Forums article: http://wiki.asexuality.org/Forums

I recently updated this article to include the Declass Team as another group elected by the membership, and updated the Current Forums section to include the forums and community links that have been added since the article was last updated. The only information that I couldn't update was about the latest redesign. I couldn't find the date for when it happened other than it being earlier this year.

Asexual history article: http://wiki.asexuality.org/Asexual_history

The "Participation in Pride Parades" and "Legal protections" sections should be updated. For the Pride Parades section, I'd want to include AVEN's and other asexual groups' involvement in WorldPride since 2012. There exist separate articles for WorldPride 2012, 2014 and 2017, but they are all stubs.

If legal protections have explicitly been passed for asexuality in other areas, they can be added to the "Legal protections" section.
The "Asexual communities beyond AVEN" section should be updated, because new sites have been made since then and some may no longer be active.

For the "Asexuality and HSDD in the DSM section", I considered adding onto it to include the controversy within the asexual community about flibanserin, a drug created to treat HSDD, because of the concern that such a drug would further pathologize asexuality, although flibanserin turned out to be rarely prescribed. I found some AVEN threads from 2010 about it when it was initially being reviewed, and the controversy erupted again when it was approved by the FDA in 2015. Should this be added in that section, or be its own section?

If anyone interested finds any further articles that are out of date, please share the links to them here and we can discuss how to update them.

I'd be fine to do so. :) 

• 1 year later...

Is any one still looking  after the Wiki site please? I'd like to add my  new novel to the fiction lists as there's an ace protagonist but don't know if I have to log in somehow, and I can't seem to enter text... how do I make an entry? Thanks greatly (edited spelling - not good for a novelist!)