Share your religion

Beth Aven

Athiest (I attended a Atlantic Baptist Church growing up) but with friends of every religion and a healthy curiousity behind their beliefs and practises.

JagodaDevojka

I don't really have a label. I just take what I like from other faiths and just ditch the stuff I don't. I'm a huge believer in reincarnation.

I am a Reform Jew as well. Glad to see others here, and glad to see such a diverse exchange!

Wow, I'd never heard of "apatheism" before, but it suits me. I do feel pretty anti-theist from time to time, though...

Katjaface

I'm Taoist, or Daoist if you are into phonetic spelling. If you want to go into it, more people classify it a philosophy than a religion but it can be whatever you devote to it.

I simply call myself Pagan. I take some things from Wicca, other things from other places. It's like if you call yourself "Christian" but don't particularly identify as Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran or any other more specific branches of Christianity. I'm just "Pagan".

I was just thinking about this the other day, how I'm Pagan, and now I realized I'm asexual. I feel like when I was being put in my proper place in the universe, someone missed =P

I'm Taoist, or Daoist if you are into phonetic spelling. If you want to go into it, more people classify it a philosophy than a religion but it can be whatever you devote to it.

You are the second Daoist I've seen from Michigan. Though my friend is a martial art daoist and he just had meditation session with a daoist disciple from China. You are right, it's a free flowing philosophy.

Yhamilitz

I consider myself as a non-practical protestant Christian. This actually doesn't mean that my faith in God is weak. Is actually strong ^_^

I just try to be far from some close minded people. But actually respect Another Religions, and the Non-Religious People.

• 1 year later...

I've explored many paths, although I gave up on organized religion long ago after leaving a church I belonged to for a few years as a young adult. I did a lot of Jungian reading in recent years, and briefly delved into Gnosticism.

Most recently I'm a student of A Course In Miracles (ACIM), and I am quite certain that I've finally found my spiritual home. :)

I am a Christian and I'm on the path to become Episcopalian/ Anglican from a Southern Baptist and nondenominational american evangelical back ground. But during the last two years as an american evangelical I started to gravitate toward Buddhism.

I am not religious but I was raised Mormon. I even went to a Mormon school. So I'm very familiar with it, you have any further questions.

Mormonism is very oppressive to non-heterosexuals, so that's a big part of why I stopped associating.

Grace Barton

I never know what to call myself when it comes to religion. I was raised Christian (Church of England), but I've always been strongly drawn to Wiccan as well. I can never quite give up one or the other.

I never know what to call myself when it comes to religion. I was raised Christian (Church of England), but I've always been strongly drawn to Wiccan as well. I can never quite give up one or the other.

This is me.

What helped me was acknowledging that the two are not, necessarily, enemies. CoE takes a lot of Gaelic elements into itself, and in turn has influenced Paganism in those regions. Neo-paganism is likely the most fluid and adaptive religion on the planet (if it can even be described as a single religion), but of the Big Four, Christianity is more adaptive and fluid than the other three. Always has been, right from its early days. It's no wonder the two influence eachother.

Here's something else I've noticed. Wiccan energy and Christian energy are both very real, and very different, but the ability to use both is quite valuable. I don't have a formal training in such things, but to slip into analogy for a moment here... imagine your soul (or whatever you want to call it) is a smooth pebble. Wiccan energy binds new things to it, mud and leaves and snow and mass, building it up bigger and bigger. Christian energy cleanses, washing away the imperfections and dust that inhibit it. it's like Wiccans gather and Christians shed. These are spiritual Christians, mind - there's a hell ton of Christians whose religiosity contains very little actual spiritualism, but you should know the true practitioners when you meet them. These juxtaposed natures might be part of why there's so much antagonism between the two despite a large degree of similarity, but it also means that there's something to be learned from both. A lot of Wiccans, especially, often seem to carry a surprising amount of tension around with them, as if there's something slightly frantic even when everything's calm, and I suspect it's because Wiccan practice just by its nature isn't well-suited to this "shedding", and involvement with a good Christian community, and attuning yourself to that energy, can help there.

The second half of the above may not make much sense to anyone besides me, but take from it what you will.

First of all, the point of starting this thread is NOT for me to find a new religion nor for me to convert you to mine. I am interested in religion in general and it will probably be what I study in college. I want to learn about different ones. I am hoping this does not become a debate thread like my last religion thread. I am going to keep my opinions to myself and just be a listener to prevent that. Please do the same. Anyway, please share because talking with a person and being able to ask questions is a much more fun and broad way to learn rather than simply researching. Also, PLEASE post if you follow or have ever followed one of these, as I have many questions:

Jehovah Witness

Mormanism

Sikhism

Daoism

Wiccan

Hinduism

Buddhism

Thank you!

I'm a traditionalist, sedevacantist Catholic, recognizing His Holiness Pope Pius X|| as the last true Pope, and rejecting Vatican || ecclesiology and discipline. I was once an atheist, a Hellenic polytheist, and a Hare Krishna (I suppose that would fall under Hinduism, since anything can really, but it's heterodox). I was interested in Sikhism at one point as well. Funny how you don't have an interest in Christianity - though, to be fair, when I was inordinately interested in comparative religion, neither was I. (JW's and Mormons don't count, due to their rejection of Trinitarian dogma)

Edit: Oh, and Buddhism and Taoism are ethical/philosophical, not theological systems properly speaking. You may want to learn of this distinction on your own, before you consider studying comparative religion seriously. Also, consider that you may have to study belief systems you happen to have little, if any interest in. Happy trails.

I am not Daoist, but I do read the Dao de Ching a lot as a spiritual book. I perhaps could answer some questions. I am Quaker though.

TheNomment

I'm my own branch of Christianity, mainly because I do not agree with any of the other types of how certain churches interpret the bible.

I found out my branch has similar ties to Native American religion, and Voodoo (yes, I know this is the pop culture term.) beliefs.

I have studied/practiced Wicca for a while (A couple months, so I wouldn't count it.)

I don't know if you are interested, or not.

Presbyterian (protestant). I don't go to church as often as I used to, but I did enjoy growing up in this faith, so I've stuck to it.

Archived