Asexuals and eBooks

toujours

1. 1. Have you ever read a book on an electronic device?

• Yes, I liked it and would do it again/do it constantly.
    • I tried to read a bit, then got tired or bored.
    • I'm not interested. Prefer paperbacks.
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you own any eReader?

• Yes, a Kindle
    • Yes, an iPad
    • Yes, a Sony Reader
    • Yes, a Nook
    • Yes, other
    • No
  3. 3. Would you like to get or are you considering getting

• A Kindle
    • An iPad
    • A Sony Reader
    • A Nook
    • Other
    • No, I'm not interested

This poll is closed to new votes

Following my dissertation, so many things I want to keep asking. This is completely off the record. Curious as how asexuals approach eBooks :)

I am an avid (read: obsessive!) book reader, but I prefer to have "real" books that don't suddenly become useless when they develop hardware issues or when the company that supports then decides to "upgrade" its software and causes all of its readers over a certain age to become obsolete. (*cough* Sony *cough)

All electronic devices are designed to fail and have to be replaced on a regular basis. I tend to get attached to my books and I like to keep them around indefinitely, so the only time I might consider an ebook would be if I were taking an extended trip.

-GB

I bought a Sony Reader (second hand on eBay) a while back, figuring I could always sell it again if I didn't get on with it. But actually I really like - the reading experience is very good, the e-ink screen is totally different to a normal LCD display, and it is possible to get just as engrossed as with a normal book. I don't see it as a replacement for books, but for certain uses it is really handy - e.g. when going away, meaning you take one device rather than a bag full of paperbacks. I've only used for freely available out of copyright books - there is a lot of stuff out there.

My husband and I own both a Kindle and Sony reader (presents). We like them, but would have preferred a nook due it's hackability.

I have trouble reading anything of great length on a screen, though I'm not entirely sure why (especially considering that I spend a lot of my time online), so I have never used an eReader, nor do I plan to.

I have trouble reading anything of great length on a screen, though I'm not entirely sure why (especially considering that I spend a lot of my time online), so I have never used an eReader, nor do I plan to.

That's probably the backlight effect. Ereaders have a different type of ink (except the iPad) which might be easier on your eyes. You can try them out at stores and see if it makes a difference (if you're interested, that is).

I rediscovered reading after I got my Sony eReader. I think it's even more comfortable than paper books for my eyes because I can control the font size and I really like black text on a grey background.

I have read entire books on my laptop before, through the Baen Free Library, but overall I vastly prefer an analog copy to reading on the laptop screen. I've never attempted a Kindle/Nook/other eReader device, though I've eyed a friend's Nook with great interest.

My main issue with eBooks is that they're usually as expensive or more expensive than a good paperback, and frankly I'm not willing to pay out for a Nook (which is what I would probably buy, since I mostly buy from Barnes & Noble) if it's not going to save me any money in return. I do hear good things about it from my boss when she has to travel and catch up on reading papers for work, so I may invest in one in the future, but for right now it would be a large cost for me for no real added value. Worse, investing in eBooks after purchasing an electronic reading device would set me back, particularly for titles I already own in analog form.

The first question on the poll doesn't have an answer for "I'd be interested in trying one, but I haven't had access/time to investigate at a store display, by the way." So, y'know, writing it here.

My library had us using overdrive media to download books and I was reading ebooks that way, only I switched from Windows to Linux and can't get overdrive to work on my computer.

I am an avid (read: obsessive!) book reader, but I prefer to have "real" books that don't suddenly become useless when they develop hardware issues or when the company that supports then decides to "upgrade" its software and causes all of its readers over a certain age to become obsolete. (*cough* Sony *cough)

All electronic devices are designed to fail and have to be replaced on a regular basis. I tend to get attached to my books and I like to keep them around indefinitely, so the only time I might consider an ebook would be if I were taking an extended trip.

-GB

< Mostly this

and some of this >

I don't see it as a replacement for books, but for certain uses it is really handy - e.g. when going away, meaning you take one device rather than a bag full of paperbacks. I've only used for freely available out of copyright books - there is a lot of stuff out there.

I love paper books! :wub: The poll didn't have an option for "I prefer hardbacks, but will get paperbacks, have not tried an e-book reader, but might consider one if I were doing a lot of traveling and could find plenty of free out of copyright books that interested me, and could load other documents I want or need to read onto it".

I treasure my old books and have quite a number of larger hardback books (like 12 inches tall or more), reference books such as atlases, art books, comic strip collections like Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes, favorite works of fiction (when I wanted a book of O. Henry short stories recently I opted for a small hardcover version).

There are plenty of advantages of print/paper books over e-books I don't seem them as a replacement. Maybe as a supplement, especially if doing a lot of traveling (would save more space for paper books bought while browsing bookstores during my travels... hmm...).

There are also the sensory aspects of paper books, like the feel of a well-bound hardback book, the look of real paper and gilt edges and various endpapers, even the cover pictures on many paperbacks that you flip to as you're reading, the sound of the rustling of real paper pages, the hefty thud of a large hardback book when you place it on a table, the varied smells of books, old and new. That's all part of why I love browsing in "brick and mortar" bookstores - as well as the fact that on-line browsing just can't compare in and way. (sorry, got a little carried away... :) )

I've read several of the classics which are out of copyright on Google Books, partially because the library here doesn't have them, but generally I prefer normal books (hard-cover over paperback, too). I think buying an "eReader" is a little silly, if you've already got a laptop.

I don't care for the idea of e-readers. I've tried them, but I just can't get past the fact that there's no physical book in my hand. I like to write in my books, highlight, etc (most of my reading these days is nonfiction). Even when I'm reading fiction, there's something to just holding it in your hands, turning the pages, the smell of it, etc. Reading a book for me is an experience in itself, more than just the words on the page.

The only time I could see myself buying an e-reader would be for long trips, but even then, most of my long trips in the future will be to the field for research, and will therefore involve environmental conditions that I wouldn't want to unnecessarily subject an electronic device to. Especially if that device contained all of my reading material!

I read ebooks on my laptop. I'm not going to buy a locked down, DRM-infested ebook reader.

I'll probably buy a tablet PC at some point within the next few years, once the ones that aren't locked systems improve enough for it to be worth it.

I've never tried ereaders, and I really have no inclination to ever get one. Electronics are just too impersonal to me, while books you read over and over become almost alive with personality. Dog-eared and faded with age, my favorite books tell as much of a story from their condition as they do from their pages.

Not to mention, no one's apt to steal a book nor will a book crash or break with use.

I said "other" for the first question because while I've never read an ebook, I'd like to check one out and see what it was like. Don't think I'd buy one though, unless a ton of traveling was in my future.

i like real books except for when my book shelf collapses

that's my only disclaimer

• 2 weeks later...

I can sum up my feelings about e-books in one burst of exclamations. 'MY EYES! MY EYES!!! OH DEAR GOD!!! THE PAIN!!! THE PAIN!!!!!' I love reading old books, the smell takes me back to my childhood reading 20yr old Enid Blyton's and Ro' Dahl. Mmmm, musty... I have discovered I've been listening to a lot of audio-books though, great to fall asleep to.

I haven't tried one, but I'm not completely anti and would like to try one before I make up my mind, but I think they've still got a long way to go.

The way things are at the moment, I wouldn't buy one (too expensive and don't have the books I read). At the moment I still prefer paperbacks, for lots of reasons, including being able to share books with friends. I'm really finding it hard to think of an advantage of a e-reader over a paper book for me.

Hot_Air_Balloons

The idea of ebooks is really cool. But I stare at screens more than enough in my life. I don't want to be starting at anymore! I would definitely prefer the actual book. My eyes get tired enough as it is. Now I often wear reading glasses on the computer.

I read ebooks on my laptop. I'm not going to buy a locked down, DRM-infested ebook reader.

Eh, it isn't that hard to strip DRM. I do it for all the ebooks I buy because they are mine and I don't want to risk losing something I have purchased. And because I always get asked when I say this... yes under fair use it is perfectly legal to do this.

As to the general subject... I've had a Sony Reader for nearly three years now and I adore it. It remembers what page I was on when I fall asleep while reading (this happens almost every night), it keeps itself open so I can knit while I read, I can carry around all the books I'm currently in the middle of reading without needing a backpack, I don't have to stress about which books to take with me on vacation... I could go on.

The thing is, I still buy tons of "dead tree" books. I never feel like I own a book unless I have the physical thing sitting on my shelf.

I have several ebooks. PDFs.

However, as an avid book reader since I was young, its not really reading the book unless I can hold it. I may own more books than I can count, but I'm not interested in replacing all of them on a digital device (mind you, if I can get the book no other way, or for significantly less, I'll probably grab a PDF of it).

• 2 months later...

i now have a Nook and altho i have an ereader i still buy paper books from time to time (mostly if they dont come in ebook format). ebooks are also good if your on a tight budget but love reading as books in that format are WAY cheaper then buying a paper book (plus it saves trees). also you can carry several books, magazines, newspapers, music, etc with you in an ereader wherever you go.

I read PDF eBooks - I'm mother to a young baby, and can't manage to hold her and read a real book at the same time, she's too wiggly. Sitting next to my laptop and reading off the screen is a lot easier.

I vastly prefer to read real books, though.

The Pixel Monk

I was very against eBooks for some time, but I was given a Kindle for the holidays. Consequently, I actually find I like it. I am by no means ever going to give up my physical books. There is something about holding the text you're reading that is it's own special thing. On top of this, I can pass the book along to someone I think would like to read it. However, I find the eReader to be a lovely method to read books off of Project Gutenberg and such. It beats staring at an LCD screen. And there are some books one just wants to read, but doesn't necessarily have any inclination to share (or you don't think you will). There is the niche for an eReader from my perspective. They do need to figure out pricing on eBooks though as I refuse to pay more for a purely digital copy than I do a paperback copy. I mean, really. Yes, I get it instantly, but it's not worth THAT much more.

SASE Icecream man

Forgot the Kobo, the Borders reader.

• 5 months later...

-GB

I agree completely. I prefer the real thing over electronic any day.

Member33070

I read a little bit on an e-reader once, but it was a little weird, and it wasn't mine so I couldn't read very long and get used to it.

I'm thinking about getting one just because I want to have less stuff, volume-wise. Replacing my gigantic bookshelf with one little device sounds great! Especially when I study abroad for a year and live out of a suitcase.

I love books, I love having books around, but I want to be able to live out of a backpack, and unfortunately, my Time Lady skills are lacking and I can't make my backpack bigger on the inside...

And I liked the black and white Nook that I tried out. Something like that would be nice, with the Etch-a-Sketch technology that leaves the page displayed, instead of a light-up screen.

• 2 weeks later...
the Lady Ashuko

hehehe...bigger on the inside.

I haven't used and don't plan to. Besides just being a sucker for owning something (I do still buy cds and records), I just don't like reading things on screens. Not because it hurts my eyes or anything, but it makes me feel distracted and anxious. When I hold a book, I can see how far I've come, how far yet to come, at all times. Reading anything long on even a computer feels like I'm drowning in a way, like I have nothing to ground myself. I feel sick just thinking about it.

I actually bought the UH campus catalog from the website and had it shipped to Texas, even though it was available on free PDF (a 500 page PF though...)

Måskemigselvetsted

"Other" to the first, because, yes, I have read something on a electronic device. My laptop! But it was only because it would be published (and if it are, I'll still buy or borrow it) and it was the author herself which had put it there.

I'm against eBooks (and the reason takes too long to type right now, maybe another time), so I wouldn't want one. I know there are pros, but, for me, I see the cons fare outweigh them. SO, no thanks, I hope they doesn't get populare in Denmark..

Archived