What life-path did you take?

pyromancer

What life path did you take?  

1. 1.

• School -> University -> Graduate Career
    • School -> College -> Employment
    • School -> Employment
    • School -> Unemployment, living on benefits
    • School -> Partnership -> Family (traditional housewife/househusband role or LGBT homemakers)
    • School -> Further Education -> Drop Out -> Alternative Lifestyle
    • School -> Joined Family Business
    • School -> Single Parenthood
    • School -> Services (Armed, Police, Fire)
    • School -> Religious Ministry
    • Other (please give details!)

This poll is closed to new votes

The idea for this came from the "phase of life" poll, which set me wondering about the different paths through life that people choose to take, or in some cases have thrust upon them.

If none of the options fit exactly, pick the closest one and add a comment to the thread. The "Other" option is for anything completely different, like a non-school starting point, or growing up in a peace camp or with the Hippy Convoy, or in a religious community, etc.

Vicious Trollop

I'm finishing up my undergrad work this year and hopefully heading straight for a graduate program in library science next year. That is, of course, if I get my act together and actually apply to graduate school. I want to work in the archives department of a museum or library in an urban area for several years, and then either open my own bookstore or get my PhD and profess library science.

Once I finish my undergrad work, I plan on going to vet school or med school, and then joining the military. Really can't decide between the Army and the Navy.

Well, I haven't been able to finish college yet, and I am undecided on whether or not I want to go to graduate school since the money doesn't increase drastically.

ok, what's the difference between college and university? They're pretty much synonyms where I'm from.

A university is where you study for a degree or degree-level qualification, like a BA, MSc, etc. A college on the other hand, at least in comon usage, is where you go to study vocational skills, anything from metalwork or vehicle repairs right up to electrical power engineering.

Now granted most universities are organised into "colleges" as in "King's College, Cambridge", but that's not how the term college is used in general speech.

There are also "sixth form colleges", where as Kensta says you can study A-Levels, which are a requirement for university entrance, but these are less common than the other kind of college, as most pupils (school students) will do their A-Levels at secondary (high) school.

Generally here we do:

Primary School = 5 to 10 year olds

Secondary School = 11 to 16 (compulsory), optional till 18. In my time you did O-Levels at 16 and A-Levels at 18 (in Scotland we did Highers at 17 instead, but Scottish university courses are one year longer than English ones), now I think at 16 they do GCSEs instead of O-Levels. I think the lowest leaving age is actually before the first exams, so if you really hate school and don't want qualifications you can drop out before the exams start and go off to get a non-skilled job instead. I certainly had an option to leave the January before I took my exams, though I chose to stay and go on to Highers then an electrical course at the local college.

Once you have A-levels or Highers you can go to university if your grades are good enough.

I didn't realise that College and Uni meant similar things elsewhere, I was trying to avoid falling into any obvious US =/= UK traps, sorry for that!

The plan is:

School > Undergrad > Grad > Become a University Professor

I'm only on the Undegraduate level now, so we'll see how that works out.

In the poll that would count as School -> Uni -> Graduate Career.

Interesting that most answering so far are on an academic or at least partly academic track - is this a reflection of the people most likely to have Internet access and time for forums like this, or some kind of asexual mindset showing through?

98slbrookes98

In my case it hasn't happenedyet but I'min my last year of school. I am going to spnd 3 years doing part time work, going to college and getting experience. Then to Uni hopefully to do English and Drama degree ( and I may start to live as a man but only as far as crossdressing, short hair and name change and only for a few years) then take a PGCE in English and Drama, teach and then join Studyzones Website as an e-tutor while writing, counselling and acting in my free time. :wink:

I'm applying to grad school but really I don't want to go right away anymore. I want to do nothing for awhile and tour Europe. :D

I answered Other.

School-Working-School+Working-Working

Had to earn the money to go to college first. Two years of full time classes and full time work damn near killed me...probably going to go back and do more school after I forget what it was like last time...that's going to take a few more years though.

I'm what is generally referred to as an 'independent learner', meaning classes are a pain in the ass and I'd rather read the textbook. Heck, that's how I was one of the few in Subject Analysis and Indexing to get an A in the class. The teacher was so incompetent, I was better off on my own.

School -> Further Education -> Drop Out -> Alternative Lifestyle

I chose this option because that's what happened to me. I want to go back and finish my B.A. but I don't want to do the 9 to 5 routine afterward. If I could make a living with my hobby I would do so.

I answered Other.

School-Working-School+Working-Working

Had to earn the money to go to college first. Two years of full time classes and full time work damn near killed me...probably going to go back and do more school after I forget what it was like last time...that's going to take a few more years though.

I'm what is generally referred to as an 'independent learner', meaning classes are a pain in the ass and I'd rather read the textbook. Heck, that's how I was one of the few in Subject Analysis and Indexing to get an A in the class. The teacher was so incompetent, I was better off on my own.

I take it by "school" you're actally talking about college or university? To me "school" is compulsory education for children, plus the optional bit once over 16, anything after that would be "further education", i.e. college or uni.

But yes, I do seem to have left out an option for

School -> working / part time higher ed -> career. Sorry!

Live R Perfect

Mines a little complicated...

School---->College---->Bumming around---->College---->Work---->College---->University---->Work---->Work & college---->Work & work

:)

I take it by "school" you're actally talking about college or university? To me "school" is compulsory education for children, plus the optional bit once over 16, anything after that would be "further education", i.e. college or uni.

OK then High School/Middle School (or whatever else its called) then work then College (junior college/community college/technical college whatever/wherever) so on and so forth :lol: there's got to be a way to simplify this stuff...

the plan:

school => undergrad => work => graduate program => more work?

second year of undergraduate, but i don't see myself being able to afford graduate school right away. let's see how i feel about things in ten years or so

The drop out one.

I'm actually on the 'win the lottery' life-path. But don't tell anyone.

Cate

Interesting that most answering so far are on an academic or at least partly academic track - is this a reflection of the people most likely to have Internet access and time for forums like this, or some kind of asexual mindset showing through?

I think so, yes.

The main reasons for not getting a better education are usually, not always though, because 1) you got married, need to support family, or 2) got a kid, need to support.

Hmm. Does Job mean the job you do for the rest of your life? If so...

School > Uni ( undergrad, post grad) > job,

if not

School> Uni: Under grad > post grad > New job.

Job > Job

What is "grad school"? I used to think this was another word for university but I gather it's something else, something you do after uni? Or at uni but doing postgraduate studies like a PHd? That's probably count in the first option on the poll, as it's still the "get seriously good qualifications and the lifestyle that follows" as opposed to general work like plumbing or whatever.

I'm actually on the 'win the lottery' life-path. But don't tell anyone.

LOL!!! Love it! :D

And if you have next Saturday's winning numbers, any chance of posting them here? :twisted:

grad school is after you have completed your first undergraduate/university degree (unless assuming you go back for a second university degree), it can include a master's, ph.d, and various professional degrees though we usually refer to them as law school, med school, etc.

the traditional education generally follows this pattern:

(not mandatory, not universal)

nursery or pre-school, ages 3-6 years old- introduces students to the concept of play, prepares students for school, may also be a form of childcare

(not mandatory in every state but mostly universal)

kindergarten, ages 5 or 6 - continues to prepare students for school life, students are expected to know basic things like name, some letters, colors, their address, phone number, etc.

(mandatory and universal)

elementary school

1st grade - 6 years old approx.

2nd grade - 7 years old approx.

3rd grade - 8 years old approx.

4th grade - 9 years old approx.

5th grade - 10 years old approx.

6th grade (sometimes considered elementary) - 11 years old approx.

middle school/junior high school (terms are used pratically synonomously)

middle school usually includes 6th grade, junior high usually doesn't

7th grade - 12 years old approx.

8th grade - 13 years old approx.

high school

9th grade (freshman year) - 14 years old approx.

10th grade (sophomore year) - 15 years old approx.

11th grade (junior year) - 16 years old approx.

12th grade (senior year) - 17 years old approx.

at the end of 12th grade assumed you've passed a certain number of subjects and/or state tests, you are awarded a diploma.

college/university (terms used interchangeably, most people would say, "where are you going to college?" or "i'm in college."

community or junior colleges are two year programs that either prepare students for a regular college or university or give special vocational training in things like childcare, auto repair, cosmetology, etc. most people graduate with an associate of arts, an associate of science, or a certificate or license in a vocational field

regular university/college programs are generally four years long (with some exceptions for particularly strenuous programs). one is awarded a degree designated by some letters depending on the program one participated in. bachelor of arts (B.A. or A.B. depending on school), a bachelor of science (B.S.), bachelor of music/music education (B.M./B.M.E.), bachelor of business administration (B.B.A), etc. in order to enter a four year college/university, one needs to have a high school diploma or an associate degree. this period of study is also referred to as one's undergraduate years.

graduate school programs vary greatly from school to school but it is the period of study after undergraduate college/university years. graduate programs tend to be very research focused with a goal of obtaining managerial job, research job, or specialized occupation or a position in a university as a professor or lecturer. one needs to have received a degree from a college or university. the program of study is completed in a university/college but not all colleges/universities have graduate divisions. most bigger universities/colleges have a graduate division.

hopefully this clarifies things a little. i'm sure there will be some minor disagreement on terms or order but for the most part this order is common, particularly in traditional, mainstream, US schooling.

High school>1 semester colllege, flunk out>work>navy>work>undergrad degree>grad school>monestary>gradschool (get an MFA)>spend a year drunk in my brother's cellar>work>grad school (get an MA)>work>take a vacation and go to Finland friday afternoon.

boa

Archived