Do asexuals masturbate?

birdsdoitbeesdoitIdon't

ErrantRealityA

I have the habit of forgetting what I'm doing part way through or getting too bored to carry on.

Sex is a big turn off. [...] And sex just isn't sexy. -.-

I can definitely relate to that.

For me it varies between not at all and three or four times a day. For me it's usually something I do because when my body decides that's what it wants my thought process starts to become muddled, and it's highly annoying, so I 'fix' it. It's not particularly enjoyable, sometimes rather annoying when it drags out, but I don't understand why some people are disgusted by it. It is, after all, natural behavior and part of your body. Just my two cents.

under_the_radar

Until I was alerted it was linked to sex (a replacement or substitute) in my youth and it was just a sensation I was fine, but now I have great issues with it and as a monogamous person I consider it cheating unless a person is single (especially if fantasy is involved). Knowing what it is and what goes through the "mainstream" mind while doing this act is disturbing and my own mental connection to it being anything other than a static sensation with no connotation makes it range between pointless and self loathing.

*the ability for it to be a static sensation has been ruined for me mentally so there is no going back*

I'm so confused about what it's for, what is morality indoctrination, and what it says about a person's character so I want no parts of it and take great offense of it within a relationship. If someone can do that for themselves they need not drag me into what they have covered and their minds potentially being unfaithful on top of it. *shrugs*

I guess it has a time and a place, but is not welcome in my life personally. <_<

For me it varies between not at all and three or four times a day. For me it's usually something I do because when my body decides that's what it wants my thought process starts to become muddled, and it's highly annoying, so I 'fix' it.

I get this too. Sometimes it's dormant for a while whilst other times it's like "HEEEEEY!!" and wont go away. Libido is like a nasty buzzing sensation to me, what I really like is when that buzzing is gone.

• 3 weeks later...

I still do. Not sure why, exactly, it's probably just habit. I like to think of it as the voice of the inner animal, crying out for attention that I, the man, don't want to give it

WhenSummersGone

Lately I haven't as much because I usually get distracted and end up doing something else. Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I always have to go to the bathroom after I do it, and that's even more annoying. So I try my best to ignore my arousal and focus on something else as much as I can

cancel account

To me, the way sexual people talk about how great sex is and how could it feels and how special it is is like talking about how great taking a dump is or whatever. I just don't see the point. To me it's just like everything else my body does to function as a living organism, but just because my body does those things doesn't mean I actively WANT it.

LOL I love the way you put that! That's how it seems to me too. Actually taking a dump would be millions of times better!

I have pretty low libido. It just mostly seems to come around near period time. YUCK. But I could NEVER touch my skin down there. Besides the germs, it grosses me out and I can't stand touch in that area at all.

Ok, I am so not an expert in this but I have done a lot of reading on the subject. Could you possible Autistic? Some Autistic people do not like being touched because it is too overwhelming....sensory overload as it were. Touch is often times painful to them. Anyways, again definitely not an expert just something to think about.

TMI maybe? Here on out*******************************************************

I started wearing tampons when I was 15, as bothersome as they are, because the pads rubbing were TERRIBLE! I cried the entire time I had to wear them pretty much. By the end of period time I was exhausted from crying alone. My parents got fed up with me! (I got it when I was 12) I have terrible sensitivity all over my body with touch, but especially there. I have to cut tags off clothes etc. just to deal with that.

Actually about arousal I need to ask a question now that this subject is brought up. I might have a disorder but I don't care if I do. Arousal comes randomly, and whatever, no big deal. But if it gets bad I start to get that sensory overload feeling and yuck that is terrible. It turns into pure pain. I think that's why arousal feels so terrible to me. It's like my brain can't handle it or something. It doesn't know how to organize this sense. I was just wondering if anyone else has this type of issue?

Also after it passes I often feel <i><b>miserable!</b></i> I don't know why. Everyone says they feel relaxed, but to me it's more like I took sadness pills or something. I've cried after it's passed sometimes too. Actually the worse it is, the more depressed I feel afterwards. Is this a sign of a disorder? i am too grossed out by all this kind of stuff to even research it online. Please don't be graphic anyone with responses.

Don't mean to take away the attention from the original poster. I'm too embarrassed to start a new post on this though... :blush:

I do not ever feel the need to masturbate and as such never have done it. I am not quite sure what the urge would even feel like.

I do, quite frequently. I enjoy it and always have, with myself. It's private, fun, and enjoyable. My mind travels and I find it very relaxing. For me, masturbation and sexual attraction/sexual desire for other people are in no way related or connected.

Personally, I haven't tried yet. I was going to at one point this summer (this was before I knew I was ace, and I was reading a thing on healthy/responsible relationships, and one of the things it said was that you should be your own sexual partner first. I have a thing for doing responsible things, so I decided I would try). But then I got involved in reading something interesting, and ended up not.

I probably will at some point, because I'm curious, but I don't actually know how it'll work. Because the thing I read said you're supposed to be aroused first, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to achieve that, then.

So that's my experience.

Yes they do masturbate. I do frequently at times and then at other times I go for long periods without it.

Well I do like the nice feeling and when I do it I think of someone I like but when it's over I wouldn't want that person doing anything sexual with me for thy kingdom come . :wacko:

I probably will at some point, because I'm curious, but I don't actually know how it'll work. Because the thing I read said you're supposed to be aroused first, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to achieve that, then.

Someone could probably tell you if they knew what sort of equipment you had...

Not so much anymore... My libido has just gotten lower over the years. It's usually higher right before I get my period.

Hmm... I'm like a lot of the girls who previously commented. I have a really low sex drive, but when my period comes around (usually a week before it starts), I can do it a few times in one day. My only difference is, I actually love the way it feels. Also, (TMI warning) I wear tampons, so as an aide to help my period end quicker I masturbate a few times when I'm actually on my period. Tampons make it a bit tidier than pads (I abhor pads). So yeah, I think I'm in that whole grey area, because I like the way it feels, but the rest of the time, it's a very low libido.

WhenSummersGone

(TMI a bit)

I always say this but I notice that my libido and cycle don't really have a connection. It varies month to month. This month I barely masturbated in general. I hear a lot of sexual females say they are hornier on their cycle, like want sex more I guess, and it relieves cramps but I find that even masturbating makes my cramps worse even if I don't really have cramps before masturbating

Never have, never wanted to, my libido will sometimes spark up for no reason at all once in a blue moon. Guess it's letting me know it's still there.

Princess Flufflebutt

I do, quite frequently. I enjoy it and always have, with myself. It's private, fun, and enjoyable. My mind travels and I find it very relaxing. For me, masturbation and sexual attraction/sexual desire for other people are in no way related or connected.

This. And normally, I don't care if I get aroused unless I'm in public. Then it has a chance to be awkward if someone notices.

• 2 weeks later...
LightofFinland

I do occassionally masturbate, but very rarely. I don't really think about anything when I do it, either. Usually, I do it because I need to relieve tension in that area ir, like others have said, it starts to get painful. Thinking about sex does nothing for me, its purely physical with no emotion or mental thoughts involved. Just a human need, like going to the bathroom. haha

I do it to relieve stress( mostly before tests) and to get to sleep. I still freak myself out though sometimes when I realize I don't need anything specific to get me going and that sounds/words/voices get me off faster.

I do it and find it unbelievably annoying. It's a itch I need to usually scratch daily just to get it out of my system (no pun intended).

I never fantasize about anything just because I'd have no idea what to imagine and it would gross me out to be personally involved. I don't ever remember anything I've seen in real life just because it would feel incredibly weird. I pretty much need to see something online or remember it in order to get anywhere. I think that's a pretty good sign that I'm asexual despite masturbating.

It's just a time waster. Unless its right before going to bed, I always feel regret since I waste time I could've used on something else. That's more of a personal thing, though.

To be honest, I've always thought that the only asexuals who definitely don't masturbate are nonlibidoists. That's part of the definition of them, after all. For other asexuals, it varies greatly. You can't ever make any assumptions on it.

Curiou§olo

I enjoy masturbation but I only tend to do it when my libido flares up, and there's no rhyme or reason to its patterns. I can go weeks without feeling the need for sexual release and sometimes I want to get off three or four times in one day. I suppose I'm different from other asexuals in that I DO fantasize about having sex with specific people (like partners or celebrities or people I saw in public that I found aesthetically attractive) but fantasy does not translate into actually wanting to have sex with another person.

That's what it's like for me, too--and usually there's no pattern to my libido, either. I identify as Demisexual, though, so I have had sexual relationships before, though very few and far between. Been celibate the greater part of seven years now. Because I can only become sexually attracted to someone I've known a very long time, know extremely well, and am in love with (and I don't have that anymore) the "people" I fantasize about are usually not anyone I know in real life. They are sometimes celebrities, avatars of people I "know" online, sometimes they are even faceless. Sometimes I don't think about anyone at all. When I have been in a relationship, it could only be the person I was in a relationship with at the time. I haven't been attracted to anyone in real life for years and years now. :)

:cake:

AFAIK, being asexual means not wanting sex with another human being. It need not mean the total absence of libido. Some aces do have libido that they take care of alone. And some have an actual attraction to themselves.

See "The Autosexual Thread" in Musings and Rantings, where this has been discussed.

Michael

I don't masturbate - I've no libido, and judging by the assorted woes upthread, that's a good thing. I've actually tried physical stimulation once or twice out of curiousity, and got nothing out of it. Felt vaguely nice, but frankly a good shoulder rub feels better. :D

i don't. it seems that i am not only asexual and aromantic but alibidoic as well (that is my own made-up word), since a majority of people on this board seem to do it. it's not a "human need" for me, and i presume for the rest of the 5% of humanity that doesn't do it either.

Gho St Ory Qwan

Someone could probably tell you if they knew what sort of equipment you had...

That's a bit personal mate. They haven't provided it and probably don't want to. Anyway, doesn't it all involve a form of rubbing anyway?

Hmm... I'm like a lot of the girls who previously commented. I have a really low sex drive, but when my period comes around (usually a week before it starts), I can do it a few times in one day. My only difference is, I actually love the way it feels. Also, (TMI warning) I wear tampons, so as an aide to help my period end quicker I masturbate a few times when I'm actually on my period. Tampons make it a bit tidier than pads (I abhor pads). So yeah, I think I'm in that whole grey area, because I like the way it feels, but the rest of the time, it's a very low libido.

I hate pads. They feel like nappies. DX I can't wear tampons though they scare me lol *shudders* I'd like to for convenience but I doubt it's going to happen any time soon...

And you can't do that stuff with a pad on. Even I can tell that's not sexy. Bleh

WhenSummersGone

Also to add to this topic again, the idea of sexual stuff turns me on but when I get around to having sex or masturbating it turns me off. It's frustrating to me because sometimes I'll want to try having sex again but I know it will be a waste of time. Sex sounds so much better when it doesn't involve me lol

I also noticed that after watching movie sex scenes I'm completely turned off, even if they include my latest celebrity crush. I can't even picture having sex with someone I'm romantically attracted to, it's uncomfortable

TinyT, I used to get the whole I can't touch people and have people touch me pain thing when I was younger. I learned to desensitize myself somehow. I think it was because I actually liked the person who touched me despite the fact that I hated it. As for sexual urges, I did nothing until it got stupidly strong and then I thought to hell with tactile pain I'm going to get this body of mine wired properly. It worked. My brain is making the right tactile sensation processing all the time I encounter new experiences and I am getting less anxious about touch.

So yes I am living proof of a mildly Autistic person treating their own sensory dysfunctions.