Do asexuals masturbate?

birdsdoitbeesdoitIdon't

birdsdoitbeesdoitIdon't

I told the person who asked me this that I do, but I don't like to masturbate, except I like the way I feel afterwards. I also told him that there are asexual people who don't want to be sexual no matter what. So of course I left it open to a continuum. I would like to hear other peoples' thoughts on this. So, you know, I would appreciate some actual facts to back up my ideas. I mean, I see where he's coming from because masturbation takes the other person out of the picture, but... Anyways, feel free to discuss.

Asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction. Attraction =/= behaviour and attraction =/= sex drive. Olivier gave my favourite explanation. If he (a heterosexual man) was on a desert island with only other men, he would still have a libido but wouldn't be sexually attracted to anyone around him, leaving him with the options of a) masturbation or b) having sex with someone he's not sexually attracted to.

Asexuals also don't tend to fantasise about real individuals when masturbating, or even anything at all. I won't lie, I'm libidoist, and I can sometimes find myself thinking about my shopping list or what's for dinner. It's about the sensations really rather than anything else and I think that can be hard for sexual people to understand.

As for "facts", I'm not sure how you can get those, just opinions and experiences of AVENites.

WhenSummersGone

I do as well but I find arousal and having to do it really really annoying. I never fantasise about anyone in particular and it's mostly just some acts that seem to help, like the idea of something that I obviously would never do in real life

Gho St Ory Qwan

I can't give facts like statistical ones but my feelings and yours could be considered facts depending on who you're talking to I guess...

I told the person who asked me this that I do, but I don't like to masturbate, except I like the way I feel afterwards.

Feel the same way (Although I don't get that nice physical feeling any more so the whole thing is shit... FML).

I also realised when I feel the need to masturbate the only thing I can do is think about the person(s) I am attracted to (specifically romantically) and it gets rid of that annoying feeling completely. I feel far too disgusted to bother masturbating when I think of someone I like. It's funny because its the complete opposite of everyone else but meh.

Gho St Ory Qwan
I won't lie, I'm libidoist, and I can sometimes find myself thinking about my shopping list or what's for dinner.

When i was a kid I used to do that then forget to finish off... Must have not been a very strong sex drive I guess? (I dunno how or why kids even have a sex drive tbh but...)

I find thinking of something that gets the blood pumping makes it end quicker. Normally my bloods already pumping though so I'm either hyper, having a regular adrenaline rush (for no reason) or pissed off. So yeah, all seems to do with adrenaline in my case. Dunno about anyone else. I don't get that kind of feeling regarding sex though so I can't think of sex at all. it just confuses me and I forget what I'm doing (again).

birdsdoitbeesdoitIdon't

True enough, asexuality =/= no libido. I will keep that in mind. I just feel like there must be a continuum of libido and differing attachments to it.

LoopyLogophile

I personally do, but it doesn't really stem from a "need" for it. I usually just do it before I go to sleep because it's nice and relaxing. I also don't really think of anything aside from how it feels, because otherwise I get distracted and it doesn't do much for me anyway.

I enjoy masturbation but I only tend to do it when my libido flares up, and there's no rhyme or reason to its patterns. I can go weeks without feeling the need for sexual release and sometimes I want to get off three or four times in one day. I suppose I'm different from other asexuals in that I DO fantasize about having sex with specific people (like partners or celebrities or people I saw in public that I found aesthetically attractive) but fantasy does not translate into actually wanting to have sex with another person.

I don't particularly care for it; however I do masturbate occasionally dependant on my overall state of mind. Most of the time I do it as an aid to sleep after I've been laid awake for a couple of hours (so the more that's going through my head, the more I'm likely to do so); the rest of the time it's a morning thing. I don't think about anything in particular other than getting the job done and gain no massive pleasure from it. Means to an end really.

Some do; some don't. Just like sexuals, because it depends on your libido level, not your orientation.

I do, but only very rarely. I don't like doing it either. I get asked this same question a lot, and I just tell people the truth. I get turned on sometimes but I can never identify what it's connected with. I know that I have never gotten turned on by another person, never been sexually attracted to anyone. And fetishes are out, because I've never been turned on by objects or situations. I think my body just gets aroused on it's own. The only thing I can think of that has ever turned me on was the idea of sex. And not the idea of myself having sex with another person. It's either just the idea of penetration or of two other people getting it on. Bring me into the picture and I'm turned right off. I only usually get aroused around twice a month, during ovulation and right before menstruation (sorry about thr TMI). Damn you XX chromosome...

Anyway, when I get aroused it's not like "YES, this is the BEST feeling in the world! UUUNGH!" It's more like "Damn, I'm gonna have to go take care of this because it's ANNOYING. AS. HELL." I try to get it over with as quickly as possible, and while I do it I don't really think about anything. Afterwards I really don't feel good, sometimes I even feel a little bad because I feel like I'm being controlled by my body.

Most sexual people are confused and can't understand what I'm saying when I try to explain this to them.

Gho St Ory Qwan

I do, but only very rarely. I don't like doing it either. I get asked this same question a lot, and I just tell people the truth. I get turned on sometimes but I can never identify what it's connected with. I know that I have never gotten turned on by another person, never been sexually attracted to anyone. And fetishes are out, because I've never been turned on by objects or situations. I think my body just gets aroused on it's own. The only thing I can think of that has ever turned me on was the idea of sex. And not the idea of myself having sex with another person. It's either just the idea of penetration or of two other people getting it on. Bring me into the picture and I'm turned right off. I only usually get aroused around twice a month, during ovulation and right before menstruation (sorry about thr TMI). Damn you XX chromosome...

Anyway, when I get aroused it's not like "YES, this is the BEST feeling in the world! UUUNGH!" It's more like "Damn, I'm gonna have to go take care of this because it's ANNOYING. AS. HELL." I try to get it over with as quickly as possible, and while I do it I don't really think about anything. Afterwards I really don't feel good, sometimes I even feel a little bad because I feel like I'm being controlled by my body.

Most sexual people are confused and can't understand what I'm saying when I try to explain this to them.

Ugh I hate the idea of penetration. Thats my main issue with sex (besides not being interested and it being sorta dirty and awkward lols)

I hate it too. I sometimes get it like minutes before my period. OMG its so annoying. I can't do it at that time of the months thats weird. So I have to wait it out the week. Sometimes it goes though. =/ Lately I've wanted to pretty much everyday but it doesn't nothing for me physically so I'm ignoring the blasted thing. FML

:o This almost entirely sums up my own feelings towards it. In fact the only thing that's different is the ovulation and menstruation bit - y'know: XY chromosone here.

Seriously, I couldn't have put it better myself - it actually opens up a thought process in my brain that allows me to put it... at all, if that makes sense? :blink: Well anyway - thank you!

:o This almost entirely sums up my own feelings towards it. In fact the only thing that's different is the ovulation and menstruation bit - y'know: XY chromosone here.

Seriously, I couldn't have put it better myself - it actually opens up a thought process in my brain that allows me to put it... at all, if that makes sense? :blink: Well anyway - thank you!

No problem. 8) It's so funny too (and quite annoying sometimes) because sexual people keep saying over and over for like an hour after I explain this that's it's just so weird that I don't enjoy being aroused. Like it's just not possible not to like it. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't feel bad but it doesn't feel good either. I like to compare it to a sneeze or to scratching a bug bite or taking a piss when you really gotta go. It feels good when you do it, but it's not this amazing feeling that you go looking for and your life doesn't revolve around. To me, the way sexual people talk about how great sex is and how could it feels and how special it is is like talking about how great taking a dump is or whatever. I just don't see the point. To me it's just like everything else my body does to function as a living organism, but just because my body does those things doesn't mean I actively WANT it.

Y'know, I never thought about it, but I don't really care to be aroused myself. I don't usually experience libido, but when I do it's always related to my "time of the month."

I could set a clock by it...

Hot_Air_Balloons

To me, the way sexual people talk about how great sex is and how could it feels and how special it is is like talking about how great taking a dump is or whatever. I just don't see the point. To me it's just like everything else my body does to function as a living organism, but just because my body does those things doesn't mean I actively WANT it.

LOL I love the way you put that! That's how it seems to me too. Actually taking a dump would be millions of times better!

I have pretty low libido. It just mostly seems to come around near period time. YUCK. But I could NEVER touch my skin down there. Besides the germs, it grosses me out and I can't stand touch in that area at all.

TMI maybe? Here on out*******************************************************

I started wearing tampons when I was 15, as bothersome as they are, because the pads rubbing were TERRIBLE! I cried the entire time I had to wear them pretty much. By the end of period time I was exhausted from crying alone. My parents got fed up with me! (I got it when I was 12) I have terrible sensitivity all over my body with touch, but especially there. I have to cut tags off clothes etc. just to deal with that.

Actually about arousal I need to ask a question now that this subject is brought up. I might have a disorder but I don't care if I do. Arousal comes randomly, and whatever, no big deal. But if it gets bad I start to get that sensory overload feeling and yuck that is terrible. It turns into pure pain. I think that's why arousal feels so terrible to me. It's like my brain can't handle it or something. It doesn't know how to organize this sense. I was just wondering if anyone else has this type of issue?

Also after it passes I often feel <i><b>miserable!</b></i> I don't know why. Everyone says they feel relaxed, but to me it's more like I took sadness pills or something. I've cried after it's passed sometimes too. Actually the worse it is, the more depressed I feel afterwards. Is this a sign of a disorder? i am too grossed out by all this kind of stuff to even research it online. Please don't be graphic anyone with responses.

Don't mean to take away the attention from the original poster. I'm too embarrassed to start a new post on this though... :blush:

Gho St Ory Qwan

I started wearing tampons when I was 15, as bothersome as they are, because the pads rubbing were TERRIBLE! I cried the entire time I had to wear them pretty much. By the end of period time I was exhausted from crying alone. My parents got fed up with me! (I got it when I was 12) I have terrible sensitivity all over my body with touch, but especially there.

Arousal comes randomly, and whatever, no big deal. But if it gets bad I start to get that sensory overload feeling and yuck that is terrible. It turns into pure pain. I think that's why arousal feels so terrible to me. It's like my brain can't handle it or something. It doesn't know how to organize this sense. I was just wondering if anyone else has this type of issue?

Also after it passes I often feel <i><b>miserable!</b></i> I don't know why. Everyone says they feel relaxed, but to me it's more like I took sadness pills or something. I've cried after it's passed sometimes too. Actually the worse it is, the more depressed I feel afterwards. Is this a sign of a disorder? i am too grossed out by all this kind of stuff to even research it online. Please don't be graphic anyone with responses.

Don't mean to take away the attention from the original poster. I'm too embarrassed to start a new post on this though... :blush:

I hate tampoms. I tried to use one once and felt physically sick, nearly was and was crying like a baby for around an hour afterwards. Ugh Disgusting.

As for the pain. Yeah I usually just feel sort of different so I kinda know there's something happening and people seem to imply this is arousal... and yeah its annoying and if ignored gets painful. So that's why I do the dirty to stop the pain. DX

It doesn't always hurt though. And I don't get depressed. Just pissed off.

I dunno if that's a disorder but sometimes bodies are very sensitive. I mean some people get a burning sensation when touched. I had that recently it was very strange. And apparently some autistic people get it. But I don't think I have a disorder, you might not have one either. I mean if your whole body is sensitive then there's the answer. That part of the body is very, very sensitive for almost everyone so would be especially for you.

Also I find if you have tighter undies you don't have the pads rubbing. You just have to get past the initial nappy feel.

Omg I hate being female now again. >.< Can't wait till menopause...

No problem. 8) It's so funny too (and quite annoying sometimes) because sexual people keep saying over and over for like an hour after I explain this that's it's just so weird that I don't enjoy being aroused. Like it's just not possible not to like it. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't feel bad but it doesn't feel good either. I like to compare it to a sneeze or to scratching a bug bite or taking a piss when you really gotta go. It feels good when you do it, but it's not this amazing feeling that you go looking for and your life doesn't revolve around. To me, the way sexual people talk about how great sex is and how could it feels and how special it is is like talking about how great taking a dump is or whatever. I just don't see the point. To me it's just like everything else my body does to function as a living organism, but just because my body does those things doesn't mean I actively WANT it.

This! Arousal honestly feels the exact same as needing to pee super super bad. At least, to me. I actually have a really high libido (at least it seems that way to me) so i masturbate a lot, and I hate it, a lot. It always make me feel so dirty and disgusting. I keep telling myself that I'm going to stop, but then the next time I'm bored and alone, I'm right back to doing it. I hate it, and I'm always afraid of getting caught by my parents, who I doubt would approve. The worst is when I'm sleeping in a friends bed and i get aroused for no apparent reason. Anyone else get aroused for absolutely no reason out of nowhere?

TMI Moment coming:

Also, I really hate pads. Theres one brand that always gives me terrible rashes, but I cant figure out which one it is, so i always have to be careful when i buy new ones.

This! Arousal honestly feels the exact same as needing to pee super super bad. At least, to me. I actually have a really high libido (at least it seems that way to me) so i masturbate a lot, and I hate it, a lot. It always make me feel so dirty and disgusting. I keep telling myself that I'm going to stop, but then the next time I'm bored and alone, I'm right back to doing it. I hate it, and I'm always afraid of getting caught by my parents, who I doubt would approve. The worst is when I'm sleeping in a friends bed and i get aroused for no apparent reason. Anyone else get aroused for absolutely no reason out of nowhere?

This! The saying I'm going to stop because I don't really see any point or pleasure in it... and then do it fairly often anyway. I'm in complete agreement with you there!

On the random arousal thing: Be glad you are a gal. Fortunately I don't get that too often, but when I do... eesh awkward! :wacko:

Yeah, at least for women its not completely obvious. If I was a guy, I would be SO paranoid about that. See, sometimes it is a nice thing to be a girl ^_^

This! The saying I'm going to stop because I don't really see any point or pleasure in it... and then do it fairly often anyway. I'm in complete agreement with you there!

On the random arousal thing: Be glad you are a gal. Fortunately I don't get that too often, but when I do... eesh awkward! :wacko:

I feel exactly the same way. I don't have a high libido, and usually it doesn't act up unless I'm near my period (yeah, yeah, TMI, who cares) but when it does it is so damn annoying that I have to do something about it. Yesterday I was sitting in the library reading about the spread of Christianity for my European history class, and I got so aroused, and for no reason, and I had to go to the restroom to rub one out. -_- When I was younger and I had to relieve myself of it, I would get so upset that I would cry or I would becom very depressed. I felt like such a liar to myself. Over the years I just began to accept it, however reluctantly. I kind of feel like it's something that I don't think I can ever stop by will alone, and that as long as that continues happening, I'm going to have to do something about it. I actually used to try to ignore it because I thought it would go away if I did. I ended up with cramps in my lower abdomen and had orgasms in my sleep which woke me up and freaked me out. So I feel that masturbation, for me at least, is a necessary evil.

Gho St Ory Qwan

When it hurts to be aroused though, even with a female body, you think everyone can tell. =/

Hot_Air_Balloons

I dunno if that's a disorder but sometimes bodies are very sensitive. I mean some people get a burning sensation when touched. I had that recently it was very strange. And apparently some autistic people get it. But I don't think I have a disorder, you might not have one either. I mean if your whole body is sensitive then there's the answer. That part of the body is very, very sensitive for almost everyone so would be especially for you.

Also I find if you have tighter undies you don't have the pads rubbing. You just have to get past the initial nappy feel.

Omg I hate being female now again. >.< Can't wait till menopause...

Thanks for responding to my post qwan.

Yeah I probably am just overly sensitive there..like WAY more than most people b/c I am too sensitive already all over my body.

To make things worse I have a condition called Vulvudynia vestibulitis which is rare. I have this rawness and burning around the skin down there. It;s terrible and makes it suck really bad to be a girl. At least you girls don't have to deal with that. That's one of the reasons I can't wear pads, but it causes tampons to burn going in sometimes. Sorry maybe TMI. No body knows what causes it and there is no cure. I can sometimes feel a slight burning in general, but most of the time it's not flared up like that. Then I only feel it if it is touch, like by tampons or toilet paper. This started at puberty and I was on and off to the GYN's for years, becoming totally traumatized in the process. Not only was I totally not mature enough to go to those doctors (when I was 12 I first went) but what they do causes EXCRUTIATING pain because of the condition. Basically that area (up high) cannot be touched. It wasn't until recently I got a diagnosis. I kept trying to get this cleared up and now I know I really can't. Hormone cream helped alot but it's too expensive and I NEVER want to go to a GYN EVER AS LONG AS I LIVE!! It's like my #1 worst nightmare. I cry just to think about it after all the trauma I went through with that. It's not that bad just to live with, in general. It's not like I have any touching in that area unless I have to go back to the doctor.

To make it worse when I was younger one thought I was FAKING for attention!!

Here is a definition of the problem in case anyone is curious:

Pain is the most notable symptom of vulvodynia, and can be characterized as a burning, stinging, irritation or sharp pain that occurs in the vulva, including the labia and entrance to the vagina. It may be constant, intermittent or happening only when the vulva is touched, but vulvodynia is usually defined as lasting for at least 3 months.

Please note that this is NOT the same condition as spasms, vaginismus.

Gho St Ory Qwan

Shit thats hard. Have you tried amitryptyline? I don't know the prices for that but it blocks pain receptors so can help during your period at least for the times of entering your tampons and other things should you choose to go to the doctor (I'm scared of going myself and have no trauma related so i understand your not wanting to go to some small extent!)

A little bit of research told me that it's suggested (by biopsies and such) that people with this condition have too many nerves down there, sometimes up to 30 times the amount. DX And that some, as yourself most likely, have more nerves all over in general than most people.

There's surgury too, erm, i imagine it's pretty expensive but I mean it somethign available maybe for the future. Heres a quote for you;

Surgery is an option for some women only when other treatments do not produce satisfactory relief. There are two types of surgery available: scalpel and laser. Scalpel surgery involves excising the sensitive areas around the vaginal vestibule and then pulling the healthy skin over the excised area. Recovery time for this procedure can take weeks. Laser surgery involves the same procedure but instead of a scalpel, a laser is used. Recovery time for laser surgery can take longer and be more painful than with scalpel surgery.

Another type of laser surgery involves using a flashlamp-excited dye laser to solidify symptomatic blood vessels below the skin or to remove chronically painful Bartholin's glands (located on each side of the vaginal opening). In one study, this surgery had a success rate of 92.5% in patients complaining of pain only on the surface of the vaginal area; those complaining of pain on the surface plus deeper pain had an 80.3% success rate. Pudendal nerve decompression is a surgery in which the pudendal nerve is cut. The basis of this surgery is that the pudendal nerve may be a source for the pain involved in vulvodynia. This surgery is performed through an incision near the anus. In one particular study, this surgery provided relief in 9 out of 11 women.

From http://www.estronaut.com/a/vulvodynia_vulvar_pain.htm

And nah it wasn't TMI. As long as there's no vivid description of fluids and visual occurrences I'm personally pretty neutral to most things people dub TMI on here.

I hope things can get sorted for you though. =[ (Come live in England and get it on the NHS! :P )

WhenSummersGone

I can relate to what is said here. Sometimes when I'm aroused it actually starts to hurt and it's even more hard to ignore. It's been a few nights since I've taken care of my arousal and I'm going to see how long I can go before I actually need to. I can't wear pads because they really annoy my skin so I'm stuck wearing tampons, which I hate more than anything. Actually even getting a period is the most annoying thing in the world, but when that time of the month comes around I'm actually not aroused at all. I'm more aroused during the weeks when I don't have my period, maybe that's why I haven't done it much in the last week lol. Periods suck but at least I'm not aroused during it

Hot_Air_Balloons

Shit thats hard. Have you tried amitryptyline? I don't know the prices for that but it blocks pain receptors so can help during your period at least for the times of entering your tampons and other things should you choose to go to the doctor (I'm scared of going myself and have no trauma related so i understand your not wanting to go to some small extent!)

A little bit of research told me that it's suggested (by biopsies and such) that people with this condition have too many nerves down there, sometimes up to 30 times the amount. DX And that some, as yourself most likely, have more nerves all over in general than most people.

There's surgery too, erm, i imagine it's pretty expensive but I mean it something available maybe for the future. Heres a quote for you;

Surgery is an option for some women only when other treatments do not produce satisfactory relief. There are two types of surgery available: scalpel and laser. Scalpel surgery involves excising the sensitive areas around the vaginal vestibule and then pulling the healthy skin over the excised area. Recovery time for this procedure can take weeks. Laser surgery involves the same procedure but instead of a scalpel, a laser is used. Recovery time for laser surgery can take longer and be more painful than with scalpel surgery.

Another type of laser surgery involves using a flashlamp-excited dye laser to solidify symptomatic blood vessels below the skin or to remove chronically painful Bartholin's glands (located on each side of the vaginal opening). In one study, this surgery had a success rate of 92.5% in patients complaining of pain only on the surface of the vaginal area; those complaining of pain on the surface plus deeper pain had an 80.3% success rate. Pudendal nerve decompression is a surgery in which the pudendal nerve is cut. The basis of this surgery is that the pudendal nerve may be a source for the pain involved in vulvodynia. This surgery is performed through an incision near the anus. In one particular study, this surgery provided relief in 9 out of 11 women.

From http://www.estronaut.com/a/vulvodynia_vulvar_pain.htm

And nah it wasn't TMI. As long as there's no vivid description of fluids and visual occurrences I'm personally pretty neutral to most things people dub TMI on here.

I hope things can get sorted for you though. =[ (Come live in England and get it on the NHS! :P )

Thanks for the info qwan. I've heard of surgery but it sounds like you found some more modern stuff with lasers. Unfortunately it would probably be wicked expensive, but I;m determined anyway never to see another GYN doctor again! Another problem is I am too afraid. My wisdom teeth are starting to come through and now I'm backed into a corner. 8 years ago they wanted to take them out but I kept putting it off!! I am too scared. lol But now they are getting bad.

For the most part I can live with it ok. Tampons are the hardest to deal with, besides the doctor. Actually the doctor causes me millions times more pain than a tampon ever could.

I never heard of that medicine though. I will have to look into it. Actually too many nerves, or hormones is what the problem seems to be if I were to guess. Actually i think there's something wrong with the glands somehow because supposedly that's where the burning comes from. The skin around them is supposedly reddened too. It's just weird, I hope they can figure out someday what causes this.

Gho St Ory Qwan

=] no problem. Yeah I'd try the medicine if you can get your hands on it. Hopefully it could be an affordable way to get through some of the more awkward times, if you can get by normally you might not need it all the time which could be good. =]

Yeah I don't get aroused ON my periods much but before I do and if I don't bother reacting to it (sometimes its just not possible lmao) then it will likely torment me throughout the week randomly which is cruel. But my main issue is excruciating pain, dizziness, vision issues, sleep issues, inability to walk, having to keep changing (for obvious reasons) and feeling sick along with loss of appetite lol... So arousal would be non too noticeable with all that, just something else to make me frown about lmao. Periods sure do suck. I sometimes get the thought I might be due and the sheer horror is awful then I immediately go through plans I have that I will have to likely call off or stall should they fall on the dreaded red week. >.<

(noticing this is getting off topic. Oops!)

• 2 weeks later...

I do, but it's mostly as an exercise. As in, I'm kind of OCD about my weight, even though I'm normal, and I read somewhere that masturbation burns a lot of calories. Obviously. it's easier than going for a jog around the block, something that I usually don't feel up to doing, because the rigor of my school course leaves me feeling lazy and all that. I could quit anytime I wanted to, if I managed to convince myself that I'm not fat, and if I got over my secret fear of my balls bursting.

I do, out of necessity. The arousal isn't tied to anything, just my area going "Hey! Don't ignore me!" at random times. I go about four to five days in between. Its so annoying. I have to plan my day around it. It feels nice for about 10 minutes then its just a waste of my time. I hate it so much. Its just another chore like washing my face or brushing my teeth but I'd rather do those than the act.

And I agree with what's said above. If I choose to ignore it, it hurts which sucks even more. The only good part is that its a stress reliever and a wee bit of exorcise. Before and after my period is the WORST. FML