Should asexuals have the right to marry?

Live R Perfect

Live R Perfect

http://sandefur.typepad.com/freespace/2004...d_asexuals.html

November 10, 2004

Some time ago, I made fun of conservative arguments about gay marriage by asking whether people who have no sex should be allowed to marry. You thought, “Oh, that’s silly, because people who aren’t interested in sex wouldn’t marry.” Oh yeah? (Saw it on Daze Reader.)

Posted by Timothy Sandefur on November 10, 2004

He is referring to this post he made:

Constant headaches?

Now that is interesting. My question: should people who have absolutely no interest in sex be allowed to marry? According to conservatives, marriage exists so that the state can promote fertility and encourage the stability of the family and the proper upbringing of children. But a person who has no interest in sex won’t have children, and their marriages will send a signal to children that society approves of couples who have no children. Shouldn’t such people be prohibited from marrying? Perhaps forced to have children? you laugh, but they did that in ancient Sparta.

October 18, 2004 at 05:25 PM

The first quote also links to the article in the Salt Lake City Weekly where SGM's marriage was discussed:

http://www.slweekly.com/editorial/2004/feat_2004-09-16.cfm

Hetero-asexual couples currently have the right to marry, for homo-asexual couples this depends on your geography.

In Canada, (probably other countries too, but I read about this in particular in my law textbook) not consummating your marriage can be grounds to have it annuled, but people who have been married a long time have had their annulments denied despite the argument that they never consummated it.

98slbrookes98

Yes of course,

Archived