Asexual Flag: And the winner is.....

bristrek

corduroyjackalope

877 & 513

aceflag877_513.png

This one seems nicer, brighter.

Okay, since Gray & Purple still hold the same colors when a gif (which means a smaller file size, which is always a plus, and png isn't always usable everywhere, and jpg looks awful when compressed), here's some smaller gif formatted images for that flag. And this is why I like this flag design... easy to reproduce. Also, I must say, Gray & Purple are like... the simplest color names, and easy coordinates [(128,128,128) and (128,0,128)], so I guess... that really appeals to me. Asexuality is so complicated, we could use a little simplicity.

64x36, the smallest I can go and still keep the proportions exact:

aceflag64x36.gif

Nice, crisp 320x180 image:

aceflag320x180.gif

And the cool think about the 64x32 gif, is that is that in photoshop it can easily be resized with no distortion (if the number are multiples of 64 & 32, anyways). Like it could be resized to this 640x320 one, or the 320x180.

aceflag640x360.gif

Also, 877 and 513 IS the closest pantone, I just wanted to include 512 just in case... 513 is a bit brighter, which now that I think about, would be useful for using offline, since it won't be on a back lit computer screen.

Silver & Purple (is the silver too light?)

aceflagsilverpurple.png

I like this one the best. The lighter grey makes the flag seem less dull, as does the brighter purple. I don't like the more bluey shades of purple - they look too dull with the black and grey.

Silver & Purple (is the silver too light?)

aceflagsilverpurple.png

I like this one the best. The lighter grey makes the flag seem less dull, as does the brighter purple. I don't like the more bluey shades of purple - they look too dull with the black and grey.

Well, that is just the original A1 flag, lol.

corduroyjackalope

aceflag320x180.gif

This is a good grey. When you squint your eyes it doesn't fade into the white. It is clear that there are four colors.

I do like this flag (I have absolutely no opinion about what shades of colours to use!), though I personally would have liked to see one of the flags that had a triangle. Oh well, this flag is still quite good.

I think part of the idea was that this was a basic flag, a sort of background canvas onto which different groups can put their symbols onto if they wish to- so AVENites could have the four striped background with a triangle on it if they want to do that. Admittedly segmenting the triangle's gradient probably wouldn't work so well, you'd have to do a proper gradient for it to show up properly and that'd be a job to be done by hand maybe since I understand flag makers don't like that.

For grey- I prefer a medium grey, a midpoint between the black and the white. If we can't get a gradient, I guess that's the next best thing.

For purple- I prefer a bold shade of purple. One that stands out. Not too washy and not too blue.

I think part of the idea was that this was a basic flag, a sort of background canvas onto which different groups can put their symbols onto if they wish to- so AVENites could have the four striped background with a triangle on it if they want to do that.

I agree. As I don't really identify much as an "AVENite" I'm glad to see something that can be associated with Asexuality more generally. After all, AVEN isn't the only asexuality community out there... and not everyone wants to be a part of AVEN...

When making a standard, I think it shoud definitely use web colors. The current flag uses "silver" and "purple." The dimentions are 640x361, which should probably be 640x360, so a 16:9 ratio. My examples are are at half-size, 320x180. So here are some flag using web colors, including the original A1 flag for reference.

DarkGray & Purple (ironically this shade of gray is lighter; I personally like this one)

aceflagdarkgraypurple.png

[removed the different shades the purples... people seem fine with just, well, "purple."]

Edit: Link to my photobucket album of the asexuality flag graphics I'm making, since I feel like posting the png files here is lowering their quality a little for some reason: http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/pr1n/ace%20flags/

I think the purple is to red. People don't like it being to blue but I still think this looks to red.

My initial impression on the flag was, "Why are all these people rushing in to make a new asexual symbol so fast? If we're quick to create new symbols, then we're also quick to replace old ones, and symbols lose power if they're always short-lived." However, this voting thing has been going on so long that I lost interest myself half-way through. So, uh, good job? Don't ever do it again? I don't know what to say. Let's all help ourselves to cake. :cake:

To pick colors, you might wanna try to get an idea how it looks on an actual flag in various kinds of lighting.

When making a standard, I think it shoud definitely use web colors. The current flag uses "silver" and "purple." The dimentions are 640x361, which should probably be 640x360, so a 16:9 ratio. My examples are are at half-size, 320x180. So here are some flag using web colors, including the original A1 flag for reference.

DarkGray & Purple (ironically this shade of gray is lighter; I personally like this one)

aceflagdarkgraypurple.png

[removed the different shades the purples... people seem fine with just, well, "purple."]

Edit: Link to my photobucket album of the asexuality flag graphics I'm making, since I feel like posting the png files here is lowering their quality a little for some reason: http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/pr1n/ace%20flags/

I think the purple is to red. People don't like it being to blue but I still think this looks to red.

Yeah... I'm more of a fan of the bluer purples too... you know, why not, here are the three shades of gray with "DarkViolet" what do you think? I guess it doesn't hurt for there to be more varieties floating around, lol.

aceflagsilverdarkviolet.png

aceflaggraydarkviolet.png

aceflagdarkgraydarkviolet.png

If anyone want a flag of a specific size or image type or color combination... let me know... I have nothing better to do right now, and it's been forever since I've gotten to play in photoshop. I'm just not very so good at more complicated graphics, but I can do crisp looking basic graphics, I think.

Between the balck and purple half the flag can be pretty dark, so I think it would be best if the gray weren't too dark. On the other too light doesn't seem good either. Something like the grey nelo (rgb 128, 128, 128?) and green jacket showed would be good.

As for the purple, the bluish ones looked really blue to me, but I am slightly color-blind (like a fair few other men). The ones described as too red don't look very red to me at all. Just something people might want to keep in mind. :)

corduroyjackalope

Between the balck and purple half the flag can be pretty dark, so I think it would be best if the gray weren't too dark. On the other too light doesn't seem good either. Something like the grey nelo (rgb 128, 128, 128?) and green jacket showed would be good.

As for the purple, the bluish ones looked really blue to me, but I am slightly color-blind (like a fair few other men). The ones described as too red don't look very red to me at all. Just something people might want to keep in mind. :)

I agree with all of this down to the blue and red. I really like the middle grey. Making it too light or dark could look like we are leaning toward one sexuality or the other (more in favor to aces or sexuals) The grey is for the people in the middle, so the color should be in the middle. I think maybe we should be more focused on what the colors stand for.

I really like the middle grey. Making it too light or dark could look like we are leaning toward one sexuality or the other (more in favor to aces or sexuals) The grey is for the people in the middle, so the color should be in the middle. I think maybe we should be more focused on what the colors stand for.

I like the way you said that. That's why the middle gray is sort of winning me over too. Sort of the closet you can get to the gradient without... well, a gradient, lol.

And if you're going for symbolism, "purple" is rgb (128,0,128) which is equal part red and blue, and it's on par with the (128,128,128) "gray". If that matters at all...

Though honestly, even if it comes to like, I dunno, another vote or something, I don't think it matters exactly what shades in the end... the flag can be as varied as it's members. At least we have the 4 basic colors and the shape down.

I mean, just look at the variety of rainbow flags out there.

corduroyjackalope

Though honestly, even if it comes to like, I dunno, another vote or something, I don't think it matters exactly what shades in the end... the flag can be as varied as it's members. At least we have the 4 basic colors and the shape down.

I mean, just look at the variety of rainbow flags out there.

I was thinking this too. If I'm going to go to the store to get yarn for a hat or scarf, I'm going to get the shades they have or I want and people will still recognize it as the asexual flag. I don't think the gays went through the rainbow deciding what shade each color should be.

I was thinking this too. If I'm going to go to the store to get yarn for a hat or scarf, I'm going to get the shades they have or I want and people will still recognize it as the asexual flag. I don't think the gays went through the rainbow deciding what shade each color should be.

I love that you mentioned that, since I'm crocheting a purple & black scarf for my roommate right now, and I don't even like purple, but this royal, more blue-ish shade I have... isn't too bad... and I have a TON of it left over from the scarf (it was a huuuge skein to get this particular color purple she wanted), so I was thinking maybe I should crochet something asexuality related since I have the purple and black already. I used to have some white somewhere... no gray though...

But yeah, people will know either way, so it's all good. ...okay, actually, maybe people would have no idea, since I still think the knowledge of asexuality is rare, but STILL, maybe it'd be a bit more likely for people to get it, but still not as queer looking as a triangle (I feel like having something just colored a certain way is more subtle, subtle enough that people who know about asexuality will get it, and people who don't won't ask awkward questions like, "is that a triangle? are you gay? a hispter?"). ...which is why I like having flag. I never really liked the triangle. I don't care much for cake. I think I only joined AVEN when I heard about the flag being decided upon.

annwyl_cariad

I quite like the web colors "Gray" and "Purple" that nelo posted. I think that the brighter purple is more cheerful and looks like purple, as opposed to some of the other hues posted that looked more blue.

And this is why I like this flag design... easy to reproduce. Also, I must say, Gray & Purple are like... the simplest color names, and easy coordinates [(128,128,128) and (128,0,128)], so I guess... that really appeals to me. Asexuality is so complicated, we could use a little simplicity.

64x36, the smallest I can go and still keep the proportions exact:

aceflag64x36.gif

Good point, there's definitely no need to over-complicate things. keep it simple. it's a nice simple design, with meaning. keeping the colours simple will just add to its' beauty! :)

I love that you mentioned that, since I'm crocheting a purple & black scarf for my roommate right now, and I don't even like purple, but this royal, more blue-ish shade I have... isn't too bad... and I have a TON of it left over from the scarf (it was a huuuge skein to get this particular color purple she wanted), so I was thinking maybe I should crochet something asexuality related since I have the purple and black already. I used to have some white somewhere... no gray though...

Yeah, I went and bought some black, grey, white and purple thread already to make stuff out of... they were the colours that were in the shop rather than the colours that might be decided upon here. I expect the colours probably will change but I think with regards to what is being decided in this thread, the agreed on colours might be more of a "if we need to order in bulk for Pride parade (for example) then we should order it in [this hue that people are happy with]" and individual pieces outside of that can be whatever people get their hands on.

I don't think exact standardisation is too important, just so long as we have a ballpark colour. A purple that's midway between red and blue rather than too violet or too pink and a grey that is roughly half way between black and white.

I did notice when making a 'asexual positive' badge, well modifying it so it's a triangle with our new flag rather than a half full heart, that a lighter grey on a small version of the flag is hard to see. So I like the silver but it may be too light.

Personally, I wont be using it, but it aint bad looking. Really, for me the triangle is more of a symbol of Asexuality since it came about naturally and means more to me and holds more symbolism than colours (purple only seems to be an AVEN.org colour). Though I have to admit...having a flag is kinda neat, even if I don't 100% relate to it...but who knows maybe I'll come to relate to it more over time.

So...what GBRD said.

But kudos nonetheless!! :vis:

. Really, for me the triangle is more of a symbol of Asexuality since it came about naturally and means more to me and holds more symbolism than colours (

I've only just become aware of the triangle - what's its symbolism and how did it come about?

The triangle is from the Kinsey Scale (Kinsey was a scientist who did surveys about sexual attraction. His scale had heterosexual at one end, homosexual at the other, bisexual in the middle, and rated people he did surveys on as somewhere on the scale between 0 and 6. When 1 in 100 people said they didn't experience sexual attraction, he made an outside group called X. The triangle is basically the Kinsey Scale at the top, and the lower point is X. As for the colours, black is the absence of colour so the asexual part of the triangle is black, while sexuality (the scale) is white, the opposite. The grey area between them represents the place in between asexual and sexual- the grey-asexuals, demisexuals, etc. The reason these three colours are used on the flag is just that- black for asexuals, grey for the grey area, white for sexual allies).

But yeah, people will know either way, so it's all good. ...okay, actually, maybe people would have no idea, since I still think the knowledge of asexuality is rare, but STILL, maybe it'd be a bit more likely for people to get it, but still not as queer looking as a triangle (I feel like having something just colored a certain way is more subtle, subtle enough that people who know about asexuality will get it, and people who don't won't ask awkward questions like, "is that a triangle? are you gay? a hispter?"). ...which is why I like having flag. I never really liked the triangle. I don't care much for cake. I think I only joined AVEN when I heard about the flag being decided upon.

THIS. All of it.

I just finished the knitting project I was working on, and I think my next one is going to be a demi-pride mini messenger bag. I'm thinking black with the flag colors on the flap. :)

I'm also anxiously awaiting merchandise! I want a button with the flag on it. And maybe also one with the flag + triangle, for when I'm feeling a bit less subtle.

I'm so excited about all of this! *bounce bounce*

corduroyjackalope

I've been making my own merchendice. I've painted a button with the flag colors, and put small flags on the side of my shoes.

Archived